Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Ceiling plaster (Read 6300 times)
briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

Ceiling plaster
Mar 20th, 2010 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Hi Everybody,
                  It's come around to that time of the year when I start making or adding to the endless list of jobs I dream of getting done in the casa. The latest is to get a skim of plaster on the ceiling of one bedroom. The surface it's going onto is the inside of spanish style bricks so just enquiring if anyone knows a product suitable readymix or otherwise that might do the job.I've tried Mortero Seco with disasterously messy results and scornful looks from Mrs briand6868 who reckons it should be left to the pros but I'm a rufty tufty campo dweller and want to try,try,try again..
                                                       Thanks,
                                                                  briand6868

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Re: Ceiling plaster
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I'm not a builder but it might be easier to install a plasterboard ceiling.  You can mount a frame just below the existing ceiling and fix the plasterboard to that then just paint it.  I've just done it in a bathroom.  Another advantage is you can put insulation above it.  I can give you details of a place on Amposta that can supply the bits if you want.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Hi Bigyin,
            Thanks for the advice, however the "look" I'm trying to achieve is a reasonably smooth ceiling between exposed beams so the slab idea, while handy, wouldn't get the effect. Thanks again
                                                               Brian            

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
No probs Brian.  Obviously difficult to suggest without seeing the job.  You could try asking at a builder's merchants like Mayor or similar.  They will generally advise and of course know the Spanish methods.  It may be that just yeso will do the job ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Could try Yeso but make sure it's 'Yeso para maquina' and not the normal stuff which goes hard in about 30 microseconds.

Nigel

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Try Mecafino Banda Azul made by Iberplaca Gelsa its easy to mix and spread on and it doesn't set for hours unlike Yeso which as Nigel Says sets in minutes leaving you with a trowel stuck in a bucket

After you have spread it you can go back over it with a wet float to smooth of any imperfections and it sets really hard

Good luck

Or you could do as Bigyin Suggests and put up some metal studding insulation imbetween the vegas and plasterboard the whole ceiling

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2010 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Hola All,
          Thanks for the advice, going to try both products in a couple of weeks and will let you know how they both "reacted" with the ceiling, have to say that I've been warned about the yeso but will give it a go. Cool.
                                Thanks,
                                           Brian

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2010 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Just a further thought if your ceiling imbetween those vegas is of red bricks or tiles please make sure you give them a good soaking with a hand or garden sprayer otherwise they will suck all of the moisture out of the plaster and make your job even more difficult even if its concrete block still wet them well

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
[Quote author = hazelnut link = 1269112330 / 0 # 7 date = 1269684657] Just a Thought weitere if your ceiling is imbetween Those meadows of red bricks or tiles please make sure you Give them a good soaking with a garden sprayer or hand Otherwise They Will suck all of the moisture out of the plaster and make your job even more Difficult Even if STI Still wet concrete block them well [/ quote]

see what I mean about the website altering your spelling rearranging your sentence and changing words

I think its a plot but I am not mentioning any names

Anyway Briand6868 if you still struggle to get smooth results try a rubber float meant for grouting you will get much smoother results

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Ta Hazelnut, If I don't get a half decent result it won't be from lack of advice just my shoddy workmanship, I have been known to give my own slant to the "rustic" look.
                              briand

IP Logged

briand6868

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Update ! albeit 3 years later. Finished "yeso-ing" my ceiling and a reasonable job, if slightly on the rustic side. Smoothed it off with a watery sponge and painted it with Tkrom.It looks fine to me and even Mrsbriand was pleasantly surprised ! Now all I've to do is replace a roof on another part of the casa, But I just love it, or so I keep telling myself. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top