Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 WATCHDOG BBC 3RD JUNE - ILLEGAL BUILDS (Read 9269 times)
eden
Ex Member

WATCHDOG BBC 3RD JUNE - ILLEGAL BUILDS
Jun 6th, 2010 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Did you watch this programme, the Spanish representative just seemed to think it was a huge joke and totally out of proportion - well just like our politician he does not live in the real world.  Spain needs to get the problem of illegal builds sorted.  People are still being sold illegal houses some where in the process it must flag up that it is an illegal build before some innocent unsuspecting buyer signs on the dotted line. Embarrassed

IP Logged

gyronut44
Ex Member

Re: WATCHDOG BBC 3RD JUNE - ILLEGAL BUILDS
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
i saw that program,what an arrogant tw*t he was,smarmy get,he wouldnt give a straight answer,annie robinson got stuck right into him though, Angrywe need her in catalunya she would sort the b***ers out over here,maybe things would start to get sorted out ,or even somebody like her who wont take all the bulls*it given out to all the incoming investors, because that is really what we are, Wink

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
One of the biggest problems is that newcomers refuse to believe the truth if they are told it. They see Spain through rose coloured glasses and are happy to believe anything POSITIVE they are told and totally ignore, and then often suffer the unfortunate consequences, anything negative.

Personally I've pretty much given up trying to warn/inform people as they never want to hear the truth. It's unfortunate but seems to be a fact of life.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Well its up to the Forum to try!!

Any reputable estate agent will have a copy of the Esquitura for any prospective purchase, (the title deeds)!! If they don't say Vivienda somewhere then you can't live on the property!! It was only meant to visit on a weekend basis to tend the crops!! If the Estate agent doesn't have a copy of the Esquitura then they are not operating as a true authorized representative for the property and walk away!!

If it says the building is an Almacen then that is what it is, a barn with no windows No bathroom No bedroom No Toilet No Kitchen and no you can't live there. and you won't get permissions to change the function of the building to a vivienda!!

If there isn't any building on a piece of rustic land, then you certainly won't get any permissions to build one, and will not be allowed to put a log cabin nor a shed nor a static caravan nor a towable caravan on the land, you might be allowed a tent but only temporarily

If there is no electric, then it is highly unlikely that you will ever get electricity, other than solar, if an estate agent tells you that there is electricity "nearby", then start to worry, even if the local Alcalde approves electricity it can cost you a fortune and you will have to negotiate with every one of your neighbours to get poles across their land

If there is no water then it is very costly to have it shipped in, and if you were used to England where it rains a lot then don't expect to collect too much even through the short rainy season

As Nigel Says if you choose to ignore advice then be it on your own heads, but don't start bleating when it all goes wrong.

Spain is a tough place and they don't tolerate fools, but if you are stupid they will turn a blind eye especially where money is involved!!

Sorry to be negative but thats the best way to approach buying anything here, never trust anyone and get a solicitor and ask the right questions and above all do lots and lots of research!!

If you do buy somewhere and do manage to get permissions to reform and employ a builder never pay anything until the job is finished to your satisfaction!!

How many people have paid up front only to have the builder dissappear, Be Honest Now!!

And as Nigel says forget your sentiments about the property the wonderful views the tranquility and take off those rose tinted specs and smell the chicken manure and count the flies before you get totally in the shit and lose all your money

IP Logged

David
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2010 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Hello.
When did the restriction on building on rustic land come into force ? Is it only in Catalonia ?
Here in Valencia Communidad, Viviendas are still being built in the campo so its not all gloom and doom.
Howerver you MUST have water, electricity and > 10000 sq m and an architect and it must be of a local design
David

IP Logged

gyronut44
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 12:04am
Print Post  
hazelnut, tell that to a certain estate agent that has been operating in the ebro valley area for the last few years! i think quite a few people would have liked to have been told the truth before parting with their hard earned cash! if you are used to to dealing with honest people most of the time it is easy to get caught out when you are dealing with a fast talker who is used to bending the truth!

IP Logged

Jeff
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Hi David

If I remember rightly, the restriction came into force in 2004.

Before that, local councils could issue a licence to build a dwelling (vivienda) on rural land, usually on the condition that the land was over one hectare in area and that there was a water supply. Architect's plans were needed.

I don't know if any other autonomous communities have similar restrictions, but it's definitely the case throughout Catalonia.

In theory at least, you can still get permission to build a new dwelling on rural land IF you can justify it on agricultural grounds, or if it's linked to some kind of business/rural tourism venture. But in practice, my personal experience is that permission is very hard to obtain.

Good to hear that there is still some common sense left in the Valencian community, as opposed to the blanket ban we have here in Catalonia. Aragón has a similar policy I believe.

Jeff
Estate agent in Tarragona

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 9:22am
Print Post  
I know what you mean Nigel. I tried to warn a couple a few years back. They were about to buy land but had only given their deposit but could have pulled out and saved some of their money. I knew I wouldn't get anywhere but at least I tried. They were a really nice couple and I didn't want to see then swindled. Only a week after they bought the land I bumped into them and they were very upset. They had found out that a wind turbine was going to be placed right in the middle of it. They were trying to get legal advice but basically they had just wasted their life savings. Even without the turbine they would not have been able to live on the land, not even in a wooden cabin as they seemed to think. If you are even contemplating buying rural land in Catalunya or other parts of Spain please, please do all you can to check out your facts. Don't just blindly believe what you are told by the people who will profit from the sale. Check with the local government offices before you even consider handing over a deposit.

Remember other parts of Spain could also end up with similar restrictions so please double check your facts. The law can change.

If their are any so called Estate Agents currently misleading people ( and I don't include you all in this, there are some reputable ones then please be aware that the net is closing in on you. It will only be a matter of time before a 'customer' tapes your conversations with them and passes them on to the authorities. You are not immune from prosecution, your assets could be seized and you could end up learning the language better than you ever thought you could, with free daily instruction inside the largest hotel in Tarragona ( clink, clink, and that is not ice in your drink )

IP Logged

eden
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Many people did check with their LOCAL GOVERNMENT OFFICE (the Ajuntament) unfortunately it was these people that were issuing the licences to build.  Had people been told that they were buying only agricultural land and it was illegal to build on it then no one would have built. The local farmers would not have been able to sell their land at over inflated agricultural prices - how many locals do you know that now have nice shiney new vans when they use to ride around in battered old vans or old mopeds. The Agents also got a big fat profit and possibly a few backhanders to government representatives (Mayors).  The Ajuntament are still making money by charging us rates, we do not live in Spain only visit - we use to get a receipt for Habitat temporada now it is illegal to stay in your Almacen we just get a receipt for taxes.  Basa has this year changed our land class from Agrico to Residential - just so they can charge us more as according to Urbanismo we are illegal and have a demolition order. Can I urge anyone who has a problem to go to the Watchdog website and put a comment on stating you are in Catalunya as most of the comments seem to be from Southern Spain.  We need it to be known that Catalunya is not without its problems. Angry

IP Logged

Greg
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Interestingly the Spanish Ambassador to the UK on Watchdog the other night is Catalan.  I dropped him an email to let him know what I thought of his statement:

"Hundreds of thousands of British citizens own properties in Spain. The great majority of them have no problems and happily enjoy their homes. The cases mentioned in the BBC programme "Watchdog" are very regrettable, but rather exceptional."

I'm sure he'll never read it let alone have the grace to respond but it was worth a shot.  His name is Carles Casajuana i Palet and the closest I could get to his email is:
embespuk@mail.maec.es

IP Logged

Greg
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Just to correct myself the email for the Spanish Embassy in London is:
emb.londres@maec.es

IP Logged

Greg
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
...and another thing....Nick Clegg met with the muppet who "runs" this country last night:
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/internacional/Hay/combatir/deficit/pasos/firmes/c...

I doubt they did much apart from massage ego's but you can email Nick on:
cleggn@parliament.uk

IP Logged

gyronut44
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
hi everyone,i still have my illegal build,still going through the court process at the moment,a complete waste of money and time all because i fell for the sales patter,
i have now posted my 20th ,so i can now answer personal mails,

IP Logged

eden
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Hi gyronut44 I have not done 20 posts so presume I cannot receive PMs but I did read somewhere that at least 90% of appeals fail in the Spanish Courts so we decided to stop our appeal and save some money.  Just going to wait and see what happens.  I believe there is an Election in Catalunya in October and we hope if there is a change in government it may be of benefit to all of us with illegal builds. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Jislaaik
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Nigel wrote on Jun 6th, 2010 at 9:36pm:
One of the biggest problems is that newcomers refuse to believe the truth if they are told it. They see Spain through rose coloured glasses and are happy to believe anything POSITIVE they are told and totally ignore, and then often suffer the unfortunate consequences, anything negative.

Personally I've pretty much given up trying to warn/inform people as they never want to hear the truth. It's unfortunate but seems to be a fact of life.

The key here is that CATALUNYA IS NOT SPAIN! Nigel speaks as if it is. I think there needs to be a change in mindset here.
We don't need to go back to UK - let's go to Spain, the Real Spain. Catalonians are not interested in tourist dollars or service industries - they are happy being farmers...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top