Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Herbiciding (Read 9979 times)
hazelnut
Ex Member

Herbiciding
Jun 10th, 2010 at 8:48am
Print Post  
I know there was a message on the forum about 6 months ago about obtaining a license to spray herbicide.

I think it even extends to back pack spraying!!

I thought this had blown over as you can still buy the chemicals at Sol D'Ebre!!

Ahh thats where they are sneaky!! you can still buy the chemicals but if you haven't been on a course and taken an exam (all in Catalan of course) then you cannot obtain a License

If you get caught spraying without a certificate the Agents Rural will Fine you €3000.

Ahh well you say who is going to tell them!!

Well that local in the Village with a License that has friends everywhere and you are doing him out of his job, thats who!!

And Don't tell me that the locals don't know everything that you do!!

Do you think they will fine someone in the town using path clear or roundup on their garden??

No because its all about Job Protectionism under the guise of Health and Safety!! Angry Angry Angry

Anyone want to buy a 100 litre Spray Barrow and a back Pack Sprayer?

No I didn't think there would be any takers!!

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Re: Herbiciding
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 9:44am
Print Post  
It's a joke, and it IS protectionism.

As soon as I was told about this requirement - I sˇgned up for the course and I have not heard anything yet, despite checking in regularly.

That was Feb 2009 FCS.

Legislation without the means to carry out - sound familiar?

Since then, I have decided not to spray at all - thus doing the local co-op out of my brass for the chemicals.

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Does Anyone know of someone who has obtained a license to spray or is it restricted to locals?

Likewise we have stopped buying herbicide so Sol D'Ebre have lost a customer paying over the odds for the chemicals, as I am sure if you are registered and Have a license then you get the chemicals at half the price we were paying

We are asking locally to see what it costs to have someone spray the land for you!!

But I am thinking of going Organic and not using any chemicals and harrowing and rolling the land sod em thats what I say!! Tongue Tongue Tongue

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
But I am thinking of going Organic and not using any chemicals and harrowing and rolling the land sod em thats what I say!! Tongue Tongue Tongue

Yes, fine if you can afford a tractor.  Were you serious about selling your spray barrow ?  If so I might be interested.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

PaulH

the hills are alive

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
We've been organic for 4 years now and the farm is a riot of colour right now, each year it becomes more diverse, the wildlife relishes in it. However it takes a gentle 3 days of strimming maybe 3 or 4 times per year to keep in check (1.4 hectares terraced land), but again looks fantastic afterwards, green swathes of land so much more pleasing to the eye than my scorched earth policy neighbours. We tried ploughing and rolling but prefer this way. We collect our olives by nets and press for oil, it's difficult to roll when the land is wild.
Paul

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
With you all the way on this one, PaulH.

My neighbour sprays with allsorts at least 5/6 times a year, and whilst you can eat your breakfast off his land, I much prefer the jungle that ours has become. Costs a lot less too.

Will be spraying the trees with comfrey 'tea' shortly (home brewed), and a few days strimming heare and there is a small price to pay.

Am also going to experiment with dragging a large biga over the weeds when they are really dry just to attempt to tame them a little.

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
What trees are you spraying with comfrey tea and what's it supposed to do ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
I hope you have a license for spraying with comfrey tea!!! Grin

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
What's this about land that has not been looked after for n years reverting to scrub, and the need for permission or authority from the Agents Rurals before you clear the undergrowth and prune the trees?   It seems so preposterous that it could be true but how can an agency such as the AR have the power to decide whether an old grove is resurrected or not?  Anyone any experiences?

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
One for John and Angela to answer!!

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Does Anyone know of someone who has obtained a license to spray or is it restricted to locals?

Likewise we have stopped buying herbicide so Sol D'Ebre have lost a customer paying over the odds for the chemicals, as I am sure if you are registered and Have a license then you get the chemicals at half the price we were paying

We are asking locally to see what it costs to have someone spray the land for you!!

Does anyone know of a website that you can find out exactly what the law is on this subject!!

IP Logged

HazeandAlan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
this is all new to us? is this a new law? we always get the burn licences from the ajuntament when required but where has this come from? we have never been questioned at the agrobotiga in Camarles when buying our juice.

IP Logged

Jeff
Ex Member

reverting to scrub, Agents rurals
Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
What's this about land that has not been looked after for n years reverting to scrub, and the need for permission or authority from the Agents Rurals before you clear the undergrowth and prune the trees?   It seems so preposterous that it could be true but how can an agency such as the AR have the power to decide whether an old grove is resurrected or not?  Anyone any experiences?

I enquired about this for a client a year or so ago. If I remember rightly it is the case in protected wildlife areas (PEIN, Xarxa Natura 2000, parc natural).

Will ask Medi Ambient and see what they say.

Jeff

IP Logged

sue100
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
We live on the side of a steep mountainside and some of our land is very steep and we have not cleared it in the 6 years we have lived here. About 18 months ago we were visited by the Agents Rural, who told us because the land had now reverted back to its natural state we would have to get a license from the local Medi Amebitent office before we could clear it in the furture. They told us there would not be a problem in gaining the license but we would have to clearly state on the application how much, and where the land to be cleared is located on our land. So I think this rule has been about for a while.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
What really frustrates me about this country is!!

Where are the leaflets and the information?

We got one in our bustia about the new range of motoring offences and what the level of fines would be thats fine!!

But if its anything to do with agriculture or rural/rustic land there doesn't appear to be any information!!

Surely there must be some informative brochures or leaflet that could be printed especially if it supposedly such a high Fine as €3000

I don't care if its in Catalan but even the local village people seem to be oblivious to the problem

In any legislation time must be given for the rules to permeate down to every user!!

To me it is simple the leaflets should be given with every purchase of herbicides from an agricultural supplier, and a time scale for people to comply with the new rules before any fines are meted out

Does anyone know where the offices are for the Media Ambient in Tortosa and has anyone seen any leaflets about this situation?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top