Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
rail tragedy (Read 2211 times)
viking
Ex Member

rail tragedy
Jun 24th, 2010 at 10:40am
Print Post  
At least 12 people were  killed crossing the railway tracks to get to the beach at a station south of Barcelona.

When will the Catalan and Spanish governments face up to their appalling lack of health and safety! I have seen countless people in Spain crossing tracks in this manner and nothing is ever done about it. In fact in many stations you basically have no choice but to cross the tracks to get to the other side eg. Tortosa!

The authorities just choose to turn a blind eye. It's the same with pedestrian crossings, if you can't get over fast enough you may have had it. I remember seeing an elderly woman who came within an inch of being run over! She was pertty shaken but she just seemed to accept it as the norm.

Come on Spain get your act together! You may have signs to the railway underpass but you need to actually enforce the rules and make sure people stick by them for their own good. This is Europe after all!

IP Logged

gollums_mate
Ex Member

Re: rail tragedy
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 12:10am
Print Post  
I appreciate that this is a tragic event however surely common sense should prevail. I believe from reports that there was not only an underpass but also a footbridge enabling people to cross safely. To put it another way - in peak rush hour time -would you chance crossing the N340 knowing the speed and dangerous driving antics that take place on a daily basis? I think not. I am not totally heartless and feel for all those who have lost a loved one or who have been injured, but sometimes in order for these type events not to occur people have to take responsibility themselves and as the old saying goes prevention is better than cure.

IP Logged

Cariad

Forum newbie

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2010 at 10:08am
Print Post  
The underground pass from the station was crowded with people,so instead of waiting to use the underpass they crossed the line.They say the train that hit them didnt have lights or sound a horn. There is also a overhead foot bridge which also crosses the  busy road   but this was closed that night.Even this morning on Spanish tv there were films of people still srossing the lines at various station near Barcelona ,they will never learn.

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Exactly, this is what I'm saying!!! Crossing lines is a common practice in Spain and the authorities turn a blind eye. It is very convenient to blame the victims but the fact is that in order to improve overall safety in Spain the authorities need to take measures to enforce it, rather than just turning a blind eye as they so often do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top