Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Open Letter to Nigel (Read 8157 times)
Tony
Ex Member

Open Letter to Nigel
Aug 13th, 2010 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Hi Nigel

I am sorry for those posters who have had problems with their purchasing of property and obtaining of cedulas but I feel that their constant denigrating of all things Catalonian has ruined this Forum for myself and (as I have already informed you) others who no longer bother reading it.  For this reason I believe that the link from my website is no longer beneficial to those who might wish to purchases my services and have therefore removed it.  I would also be grateful if you could remove the link to my site from the Forum as I no longer believe that it will bring in any enquiries.  This also means that I do not wish to moderate any more which I am sure will please many of the moaners - maybe you will be able to find a moderator amongst them.

For the sake of the Forum I hope that you do not have other advertisers feeling like I do as I believe that it could lead to the demise of what was once a useful service providing much help and advice.

Please feel free to remove any of my postings that you might feel inappropriate.

I will take occasional looks in to see how things are progressing but will be spending far more time looking at other ex-pat Forums which do not have this constant criticism taking place and which continue to provide useful advice.

Good Luck

Tony

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: Open Letter to Nigel
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Tony,
I am sorry that you are no longer being a moderator on the site.
I have friends, who don't ever want to look at the site, because they say it's all doom and gloom.
Also they say people don't know what they are talking about, on here?
Maybe the rest of us should try and encourage new members and try and keep to the appropriate subjects when writing.
Also give as much useful information as possible, for everybody to read.

IP Logged

Mottslott

Every day is a bonus

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Tony, don't think we have met, don't know or wish to pry into your business, but try not to let other peoples problems get you down.

Home is where the heart is

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 12:25am
Print Post  
It's sad to hear of your disillusionment Tony. The forum reflects the attitudes I hear amongst the Brits generally here. Most of us came here to make a better life for ourselves and loved ones, some perhaps looking for a fresh start and others looking for an affordable retirement. Why those hopes have turned to bitterness is complex and individual. For our part, we wake each day and count our blessings. Although we have to live very economically and will never regain the economic level we had in the UK, we would never go back. Sunshine, freedom, space and fiestas beat rain, mortgage, city and UK news. If life isn't good here it's not going to be good anywhere.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Very well put Pete.  Perhaps the tone of this thread so far will help to turn the tide for the forum for the better. ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Hi Tony,

sorry to hear of your decision but it is your choice.
Unfortunately bad news is always something people will talk about and have opinions on, good news rarely gets a look in.  When was the last time you watched the news on TV and they reported on positive things? I remember (was it BBC?) the, 'And finally' - an attempt at reporting some positive or funny news item.

As you know I work for many ex-pats over the whole area from Freginals up to L'Hospitalet and across as far as Gandesa and Bot and, in general, they are happy to be here.  Sure there are one or two that would love to sell and go and can't sell their houses. Many just can't find buyers and were trying to sell long before the Cedula problem appeared.

I've owned many houses over the years and one of the things I always ask myself before buying is 'If I want to sell this will it be easy and quick to sell?'  If the answer is no then don't buy it.  So, is a house with no electric, no water and 15 minutes drive up a dirt track going to be easy to sell if things don't work out? It may be a bargain but there is a reason why.

I have seen and worked in quite a few of the houses that have been built near Ginestar, where there are now big problems.  I was suprised at the time that the land was being so divided up.  Caravans were appearing on small patches of what was not more than scrubland and then houses were appearing.  I've not seen this happening anywhere else. I did hear that there was an estate agent very active in the area and it appears he was very successful.  Did the buyers of these plots obtain written confirmation that they could build from either the agent, mayor or town hall? If they have this then surely they coud mount a legal case against the agent(s) mayor or whoever?

Personally I love the area. I would never consider returning to the UK, the prices, mortgage, bad weather, congested roads need I go on?  I used to live on the South coast near Southampton and whenever the sun came out the roads were so jam packed it was impossible to go anywhere.  On top of that if you did manage to get to a beach and find parking then you had to pay a rediculous fee to park.  There were many events around the area but the entrance fee was so extortionate that it removed any pleasure in visiting.  Have you heard of the 'Goodwood festival of speed'? It's an annual event near Chichester.  This year the entrance was £50 a ticket.  If you wanted fish and chips then then you had to fork out £10 a portion... I lived near Chichester for a few years but never went.

I went to the Festival del Renaixement in Tortosa earlier this month, parked free, spent several hours enjoying the free entertainment and had a Kebab and beer that cost me 3 euros..

There are many more examples of why I prefer to be here than in the UK and I'm sure this is true for many people here as well.  Why not write about them?  This is YOUR forum.  I only provide the platform for you to share your experiences, not the content.

Nigel

IP Logged

Mottslott

Every day is a bonus

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Well we fly out to Catalunya tomorrow, only for a week this time, can't wait, will be back in October, can't wait and again fishing in November, can't wait in the mean time will be trying to earn enough money to spend more time there next year and start work on our Finca properly.
Its difficult for people who want to return to the UK because of the Cedulla problem, but it is also difficult for people who want to leave the UK. Due to the housing market being flat large deposits are required to purchase, no one has any savings because of the debt culture, no one will lend money for the same reason, wages are being held for the forseeable future and overtime is limited, and it never stops raining so the bad news is not all in Catulunya Roll Eyes

Home is where the heart is

IP Logged

furbydoggie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Tony
Sorry you're leaving the forum.  Of late there has been a lot of negativity but I suppose this reflects the legitimate worries of some members.  I agree that just because of cedula problems for some members, it's not a reason to "put down" the entire area, climate, economy, people, language. 

I for one love the Tortosa area.  I've made great friends among the Catalans, Spanish and ex-pats.  I'd love to be in a position to be able to afford to move there permanently but quite simply can't afford to maintain myself and my family indefinately without a guarenteed source of income. 

Let me tell you that sitting in Eire now looking out at the damp grey sky, paying ever increasing taxes to bale out the banks with nothing only doom and gloom to look forward to......makes spain look like a positive option.

Count yer blessings and remember why you all left the UK and Ireland in the first place.  Things have only gotten worse since ye all left.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I agree to that ,been raining nearly every day in July here in Yorkshire and reckon August will be the same but when out in Tortosa a month ago just too bloody hot "Typical Brit" I suppose Grin

IP Logged

Fly_Boy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Hi

Agree - too hot !   Smiley

Quick point - when is the home page of the forum ever going to be updated ? I am sure that the xmas stuff from last year is still needed ?

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Hi Tony,Just out of curiosity,how many enquiries or even bookings have you got off this forum in the last few years ???.

IP Logged

Huw
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Dear Tony, and implicitly Nigel and all readers,

I read your post here with mixed feelings, mixed because I don't remember what your link was on the site and so I can't judge as to whether the feelings you have expressed here are related to that link (so your business) or not, but mostly, emphatically because I totally and whole heartedly agree with you.

If you, as I have, came here because you loved the idea of living in a place in the mediterranean, if you have come to love it here as I have and if you still think that it is a hundred times better than the UK then it is totally abhorrent that people run it down so long.

I have to admit to suffering from parcial blindness at the start of my time here, the tendency to automatically compare everything to the UK and to passionately defend everything British for the lamest of reasons.  Luckily though, I grew out of it.

I understand that many people who have come down here thinking that they could sell a two up two down pre-war terraced house and but a couple of acres with a 250 square metre mansion plus pool and then live off the olives and carobs... may just feel a little bit disappointed.  But let's face it, you only have yourselves to blame for being so short sighted.  If you have come here under no false pretences and love it as I do you take the rough with the smooth and recognise that, on the whole, we are FAR better off here than back in blighty.

So Tony, whilst I sympathise, I don't agree with you.  I agree with others that seeing as we have this wonderful forum, now rediscovered for me, and seeing as it is a reference for many people from the UK as to what living here is like, we need to reclaim it for the lovers of Catalunya, the sun, the countryside, the people, the customs, the beaches etc etc,

Visca Catalunya!

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #12 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Hi Huw,
Have read all of your postings today.
Some even referring and answering posts from a whole year ago.
Where have you been all year?
A lot of things have changed here, including  health cards etc.
Also you will probably see that Tony, hasn't been a moderator, on the forum for several months now!

IP Logged

Huw
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Hi, yeah I noticed but still his post raises a valid point of why on earth do people come just to run things down.

Where have I been all year?  Working.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top