Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Carob Price (Read 5380 times)
Chris
Ex Member

Carob Price
Aug 23rd, 2010 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Just been to the Moli Doli in Campredo, the price this year is 16 cents a kilo..............

IP Logged

Jote

Re: Carob Price
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
perhaps we are going to buy a finca with olives, but recently we have seen a finca with almonds. Has anybody any idea about this  price??
Thanks, Jote

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
I willcheck the price at my local mill too soon. I didn't think they were worth doing at 22cents a kilo so I think I will just save all mine and feed em to the goats and pigs.

IP Logged

munkonminor

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Not sure how big the UK market is but I have found the pods on sale as "pleasant to chew snacks" 1 Kilo £8.12. The kibbled pods are generally on sale for around £1 per kilo as Horse feed supplements. I assume (perhaps wrongly) that the seeds inside are the more valuable part and the kibbled pods are basically a by-product. Any Horsey people out there who may know how widely it is fed ?? Might be worth shipping a few van loads back....

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Forget the silly carob prices!! chop down your carob trees for firewood its worth more money and the bonus is the tree will grow back in 3 to 4 years, as if it is well established and has a good root system, it will panic and grow fast!!

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:28am
Print Post  
That's interesting Stu.  I know it's good firewood and I would have liked to plant some for the purpose but understood they're slow growing.  Do you know if that's the case if planted as new plants ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Hi Bigyin planted as new saplings yes they will take 10 years to establish but if you have very old trees trunks often break off in the wind and self prune, but if you chop them down to stumps on an old established tree they will come back to 20ft in 3-4 years I tried it and it works, you get lots of firewood!!

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2010 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that.  I've got one that needs lopping as it's overhanging some railings.  It's about 7m tall but over 10m wide so a good case for getting some firewood now and letting it regenerate.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Hi,
   Preparing for my Spring/Summer agricultural onslught and would like to get something back.Does the moli d'oli in Campredo take carobs and how do I go about registering with them,what paperwork do I need to bring etc. If this mill doesn't take them then does anyone know the nearest place to Campredo that will ?
                              Thanks,
                                        Briand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top