Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Ryanair due to pull out of Reus Airport (Read 28406 times)
RiumarPat
Ex Member

Ryanair due to pull out of Reus Airport
Jun 23rd, 2011 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
an article in yesterday's Lavanguardia said that after this season Ryanair will stop flights to Reus airport.  Their agreement is supposed to last till 2013 but they wish to stop this year.They will go to Barcelona, el Prat & Girona.  This will leave people in south Catalonia with an imposible journey as there are no trains or buses from the airport in this direction. Also people in the north will be in an equally difficult position. Surely the tourist centres in Salou & Cambrils have some clout to bring pressure to bear on the local authorities to maintain a service at Reus airport? or will it become a very expensive white elephant?

IP Logged

gyronut44
Ex Member

Re: Ryanair due to pull out of Reus Airport
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
oh well if the rumour is true ,then this is maybe another casualty of the crazy rules imposed on foreigners by the cataloonyans ,everybody baling out home for good and holidaying elsewhere instead, Cool
maybe catalunya should take note and stop penalising potential investors to their area,if more people had the power of mr oleary then maybe things might change there for the better,or maybe they like to stay in the dark ages, Grin

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Let's hope this doesn't happen, for all of us locals and of course all of the tourists.
Does that mean that he is pulling out of Reus altogether?
He has several internal flights throughout Spain at the moment.
Has anyone heard anything about Castellon airport lately? and which airlines are going to use it? and when?

IP Logged

Mottslott

Every day is a bonus

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
I agree lets hope it doesn't happen, good to hear people who appreciate Ryanair and the service they provide, cause in the past some members of the Forum have done nothing but complain about not getting 1st class service at budget cost.

Home is where the heart is

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 6:16am
Print Post  
Well I have to say I have never compained about Ryanair, They have not always been the cheapest, but over last ten years have used them a hell of alot,  I have always said you get what you pay for !!!!!
Have not used Reus for ages, always been too dear or shut for season, and have used Gerona or Barc but a load of extra fuel,time and tolls.
Lets just keep our fingers crossed.
Phil

IP Logged

munkonminor

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Has anyone heard anything about Castellon airport lately?

The latest date is "late summer" 2011, there are no airlines signed up yet and they are still waiting for Government approval / Licence to operate. They now have an agreement for air traffic control and an airport operator.

Ryanair and Veuling are said to have been negotiating........

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Gyronut,
Why would the Cataloonians be bothered now, they have sold all their allotments at vastly inflated country house prices and taken all the EU grants for their olives and roads and water supplies etc.they don't nead,or want tourists !
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2011 at 8:48pm by »  

IP Logged

RiumarPat
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Nothing is certain yet but it could happen. There is a planned conference on the future strategy of Reus airport probably to be held in September to include opinions of civil society, governments ,institutions & businesses, they will consider revising the charges of the airport. The president of the chamber of commerce of Reus, Sanroma Isaac & Albert Abello feel it was a mistake allowing Ryanair to go to El Prat as they would loose interest  in Reus.  Surely it would be a good idea for people who really use Reus airport & who need it for their livelyhood and readers of the Tortosa forum to make sure they are represented at this conference.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Nothing is certain yet but it could happen. There is a planned conference on the future strategy of Reus airport probably to be held in September to include opinions of civil society, governments ,institutions & businesses, they will consider revising the charges of the airport. The president of the chamber of commerce of Reus, Sanroma Isaac & Albert Abello feel it was a mistake allowing Ryanair to go to El Prat as they would loose interest  in Reus.  Surely it would be a good idea for people who really use Reus airport & who need it for their livelyhood and readers of the Tortosa forum to make sure they are represented at this conference.

Nice idea but this Spain,20 years behind the rest of Europe.A general strike did nothing so what chance does a load of whinging expats (who might want to go back to the UK a couple of times a year) such as ourselves have.

IP Logged

RiumarPat
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Yes but what about businesses that rely on this airport?  It is an awful drag to go into Barcelona central from El Prat & then have to catch one of the very slow trains to Salou, L'Aldea ,Mora etc .Enough to put any visitor of a short break  off that many small businesses rely on.  What about Port Aventura they would loose out.  This should be well publicised.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
I agree with Nobrot ,Spain is the third next country in Europe on the to go Bust list  ,so a Airport and non country men/women wont be high on there list of things to do at the mo ,I would not have thought  Cry

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
The most important department of any airline is a little known one called yield control.  This is run by actuarists who work with algorithms to calculate the highest revenue production based on (such as) lead time to flight, special events occuring near the flight, historic seat occupancy for that period.......to cut it short, the earlier you book the seat the cheaper it is, providing no one else wants to fly that day.   If you leave it late then you're desperate and they can hit you with a high price that you'll pay.   All flights have a break even load factor (ie. some scheduled airlines need 65% occupancy just to pay the direct operating costs).  Low cost carriers (LCCs) such as FR and EZY have far more complex algorithms based on for example the amount of money the local council or airport has paid into their coffers to attract them in the first place, the amount of time they hold your money earning interest....these funds will skew the charges they need to make to the passengers.   All in all, fellow forumites, FR has bled as much out of the region as they can get and now they're off.  Tough luck on all those who have set up homes in the catchment area, they are of little consequence to the shareholders of the company.  So do not bleat.  You have had advantage of the cheapest airfares since fleas started riding on the backs of ducks.  Go now and find alternative airports because this is the time of the fat getting fatter and tough luck to the rest.  It's called capitalism.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Quite agree,O'Really is a shrewd businessman and nobodies fool.If he doesn't get what he wants he'll be off.Factor in the Catalan/Spanish general attitude to marketing,promotion and competition....could be interesting

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I agree too. Ryanair have pulled out of airports before in France leaving expats in similar situations to us now. We will just have to learn to deal with it. I sympathize with people whose business's rely on customers getting cheap flights in. But short of a revolution and the smashing of the corrupt capitalist system what can we do? Might be an idea for everyone to share rides to El Prat and travel at the same times in future?
Ho hum.
Bruixot

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #14 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
I agree with my brothers/sisters of the revolution, if Ryan air do push us to the limits with the help of the corrupt capitalist system. We should storm the barricades ( being British we should wear uniform. over sized tea-shirt, badly fitting shorts, flip flops or sandals so we can be identified. ) We will have a meeting point, I think in a tea room somewhere close. We will use our greatest strengths, these being shuffling about like headless chicken complaining loudly or our fallback stand in a que and apologise to everyone for everything. Brings a tear to the eye being British and if this does not resolve the problem pack up our lunchboxes and go home. I must admit at this point I'm one of the b*****ds who use Easy Jet. So power to the people and up the revolution but not in July as its too hot.
Yours Comrade Bulldog.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top