Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
2 stroke engines and dodgy petrol (Read 3439 times)
PlanesPete

In the Pink....

2 stroke engines and dodgy petrol
Apr 19th, 2012 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Have just spent a couple of weeks struggling with 2 strimmers and a chainsaw that wouldn't start or run properly. Discovered pretty much by accident that the petrol bought from Alas in Perello was the problem. Tried Repsol petrol from the next garage and all is well. Used the same oil in both mixes and even went baqck to try the Alas juice again and the problem re-appeared. Alas petrol is blueish in colour and the Repsol is orange-ish. Another chainsaw and a little 2 stroke generator seem to run fine on either.
Might solve someone else's problem.

IP Logged

robo
Ex Member

Re: 2 stroke engines and dodgy petrol
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
we have just bought a strimmer, when we where collecting it the guy in the shop went over everything from starting to using it he did say do not store petrol in plastic bottles as it removes a coating inside the bottle and this will affect the engine and it wil not start

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Have stored petrol and 2 stroke mix in plastic bottles for a few years now without any problems but perish the thought if that petrol wont start a 2 stroke.What the hell would it do to a normal car engine

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I would have thought that the plastic "jerry" type cans would be ok ? or someone would have sued by now.

IP Logged

briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Bought a couple of plastic jerries in eurasia about 6 yrs ago - use them to store petrol for the genny - hope their okay.

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
To convince a friend, I refilled a strimmer with the Alas petrol. It started and ran for about 5 minutes and then lost power and revs until it stopped and wouldn't start again. Refilled with the Repsol stuff and squeezed the primer to flush the old stuff out and restarted immediately and ran fine.

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2012 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
How old was the Alas Petrol? Old petrol loses octanes by evaporation and then will cause problems. The older the petrol is, the less potent it is. I had this problem some years ago with vehicles that had stood for a while. Putting fresh pretrol in always solved the problem. Maybe this is the cause? Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top