Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New Light - Old Windows (Read 2675 times)
Michael

Village Idiot

New Light - Old Windows
Apr 27th, 2012 at 8:43am
Print Post  
I was called at 8 this morning by an Indian tele-sales bloke, ostensibly in Madrid, saying (in English) he was from 'Windows' and that my PC (running on Windows O.S.) had been sending rogue e-mails. 

It didn't take much cross examination to determine that this was a sales call and that he was the rogue so it ended very promptly.

Anyone else had this call?

IP Logged

Nosocks
Ex Member

Re: New Light - Old Windows
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 10:39am
Print Post  
hi michael,

Yes - a few months ago the same happened to me (being in Ireland - when I asked him where he was based, He said Limerick) MS do NOT have an office in Limerick!!!
DO NOT do anything he asked you to do He is asking for  access to your PC - MS said when I asked them that they would never ask you for access to your pc with the "let me in" app

Brian

IP Logged

furbydoggie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 10:43am
Print Post  
+1 Nosocks - this scam is on the go quite a while in the UK and Ireland.  As already said - the objective is to gain access to your computer.  If I have time - I like to lead these guys on a merry dance and spend ages on the phone asking stupid questions before eventually telling them I havn't got a computer Grin  They usually go balllistic and hang up!

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2012 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
yes, I got this call and realized what it was from the start. I led them on a merry chase for sometime, There was an instant disconnect when after 15 min. I said the main problem was that I did not own a computer. Wink Wink

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 8:47am
Print Post  
I once got an American 'financial adviser' to slam the phone down on me as he advised me to stop 'wasting his phurkin time'.  The irony of the fact that he had phoned me unsolicitedly was evidently wasted on him!   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top