Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Solar panels. (Read 10324 times)
bruixot
Ex Member

Solar panels.
Jun 2nd, 2012 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Hi gang
Whilst shopping for a new battery monitor I've seen new Sharp solar panels for sale on a website locally for 190 euros for 170 watt and even less if you are buying several. The fall in the prices of solar panels has been huge since the crisis hit. I paid 4 bl**dy euros a watt for second hand panels just four years ago could have had four times the array I have now. Let me know if you want the details.
Bruixot

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Re: Solar panels.
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Germany, the UK and others have reduced the 'feed-in tarrifs' that had encouraged so many to put panels on their houses. The sudden drop in demand has sent 4 big European panel manufacturers to the wall (leaving the Chinese as the major players). The upshot is that the market is flooded with the excess panels and prices have dropped sharply. The situation is unlikely to last. Once the surplus is sold then the fewer manufacturers can push prices higher. The lesson is: If you are thinking about more panels then get on with it!  Smiley

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Hi could you let us know where this offer is....thanks

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Hi
I sent you a pm.
Bruixot

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Hi bruixot.
Appreciate if you could give me the site details for the solar panels.

IP Logged

ddspain
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Hi
Can I get details, please?

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
No hurry, expectations are the prices will continue to drop for 40-50% the next five years. And around that time probably the new generation solar-panels (Yes, a Dutch invention  Wink will enter the market. The new panels will be four times more effective then the panels you can buy on the market today. Beautifull times ahead for solar-system lovers!

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
El_Alto wrote on Jun 10th, 2012 at 4:29pm:
No hurry, expectations are the prices will continue to drop for 40-50% the next five years. And around that time probably the new generation solar-panels (Yes, a Dutch invention  Wink will enter the market. The new panels will be four times more effective then the panels you can buy on the market today. Beautifull times ahead for solar-system lovers!

Well that's an interesting analysis. Considering panel prices have fallen several hundred percent in the last few years and the subsidised chinese companies are selling their panels for less than the cost of making them I can't see them getting 40 to 50% cheaper. Especially as the Americans have decided to put import charges on the cheap chinese panels and the Euroepean Union is currently considering the same thing. http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2012/06/asia-report-as-eu-t...
So giving your analysis the benefit of the doubt a 40 to 50% percent fall in prices and a 30%tax increase doesn't seem that cheap. In addition solar manufacturers are going under as they can't compete with the chinese companies and I suspect once the board is clear of competition prices can only go up again.
I hope someone does come up with a viable solar panel with more efficiency(current rates are only about 10 - 15 percent) at a low cost so we can all have cheap solar. But I note that Cold Fusion(really abundant, cheap,clean power source) is reckoned to be only ten years away! Though the interesting thing about that is they have been saying that since the late seventies.
Bruixot

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2012 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Bruixot,

There is a lot more to it than production-capacity and taxes. Demands for panels in Europe have dropped and there is a race going on to cut costs by manufacturers. For now the fact is that prices continue to go down.

About the production costs I can only say that the really strange thing is we paid so much all this years for something that is made from very little and very cheap material.

About the new generation solar panels you can read all about at:

http://www.amolf.nl/news/detailpage/article/eni-renewable-energy-prize-2012-for-...

Mark

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Hmm nanophotovoltaics sounds interesting but I note no company was mentioned as developing it yet?
But if your batteries can afford for you to wait five years or more then go for it.
Bruixot

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Bruixot, I am afraid you are wrong. There is a company in the states Nanosolar Inc.
Quote from them
San Jose, Calif. – June 1, 2012 – Nanosolar Inc. today announced that it has raised $70 million in new capital. The financing will be used to expand production of thin film solar cells and panels, support research and development designed to deliver greater efficiency, and drive faster commercialization of the company’s solar technology.
So I do not think it will be long before its all happening folks
Smiley

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
i don't recall seeing that in the article you posted?

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
It wasnt me who posted the article.
But here is their website
http://www.nanosolar.com/

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I saw that just as I hit the post button. Sorry. But I don't see how I can be wrong as if you check my posts I made no statements about companies developing them I just asked. Being into the scientific method I am always open to new ideas and new information. But reverting to old wives tales for a moment then a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Smiley
Anyway it is irelevant to me to a certain extent as A. I am not selling the panels. B. I can't afford to buy panels at this price or 40 to 50% cheaper or buy new nano panels when they appear unfortunately. I only posted what I saw as a good offer on panels.
I will add that new technology, even if it enables production cheaper is never cheap initially as the companies want to make back as much of their R+D investment money as possible before everyone jumps on the bandwagon.
Bruixot

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Calm down folks....this is the way forward

imagesCAUR5GHK.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint