25 EURONA INTERNET (Read 26935 times)
Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: EURONA INTERNET
Reply #15 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
We have Eurona, via mast above Tortosa.
Normally a very good service. Skype we use all of the time mainly to contact friends and family in the U.K.
Nigel could give you info and advice

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #16 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
If you live in the campo then you have 2 options (3 if you want to suffer a dongle - good luck!):

1. WiMax - the signal comes from an antenna on the ground (look at Mt Caro or on the hills above Tortosa). The availability depends on whether there is coverage in your area and that the signal is strong enough. If you are covered then you can have internet plus (optionally) phone.  The service (residential anyway) has speeds of 1Mb, 2Mb or 3Mb and the usage (up/download) is unlimited. It works fine with Skype. The antenas are like the first 2 pictures.

2. Satellite - the signal comes from a geo-stationary satellite located some 36,000 Km above the earth. It can be received pretty much anywhere (as long as you can see the correct bit of sky). People who live on the tops of mountains, surrounded by hills/trees/down tracks where only the brave venture can have it.  It is higher speed (starts at 6Mb) BUT there is a delay when using things such as Skype as the signal has to travell 36K up, 36K down and the reply has to do the same - a round trip of some 144K Km - the speed of light (and radio signals) means this distance causes a delay. There is also a FAP (Fair Access Policy) to restrict individual users 'hogging' the connections as the satellite has a finite capacity that is shared between all users.  This restricts usage in blocks of 1 hour, 4 hours, 1 day, 1 week and 1 month. The idea is you have your usage (whatever it is) divided up over a sliding 28 day window. If you use more than your limit in any of the timeslots then the speed is reduced in stages so things get much slower. If you look up Tooway FAP you'll find loads of information on it. Skype (and VOIP - voice over IP - telephone) both work on satellite but you will have to put up with the inevitable approx 1 second delays. Also remember that boith Skypa and VOIP will be using up the limited monthly data. Streaming services (You Tube, bbc iPlayer which will work using a proxy service that makes you appear as if you are in the UK) will work but use lots of data so don't expect to be on them long. The picture shows a Tooway satellite dish to show the difference.

Tooway is an Italian company and the public IP addresses that they give are either for Skylogic Spain or Skylogic Italy. You can find out which one you have from http://www.ip2location.com/demo.

To get pages to (mostly) come up in English you need to set up your browser to request en-GB as the preferred language. Many websites now automatically send the browsers preferred language as default. If no language is specified then the language will be in the country that the IP address comes from.

To set Internet Explorer:
Go to tools and Internet Options. Click on Languages and make sure English (United Kingdom) [en-GB] is at the toip of the list. If it isn't there then add it.

As I said before, I would always choose WiMax - no delays and no download limits - simple as that.

Nigel

ofdm.jpg (Attachment deleted)
DSC_0094.jpg (Attachment deleted)
tranzeo.jpg ( 3 KB | Downloads )
tranzeo.jpg
IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Hi Nigel.
Thanks for the extensive explanation. Would you happen to know the best option in the Rasquera area ? or how would I find out?

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #18 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
All depends on where - some parts have WiMax coverage, others don't. Even in the village itself it isn't clear cut.  Email me you address or poligono/parcela and I'll be able to tell you  - admin@tortosaforum.com

Nigel

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Okay I will do

Thanks.

IP Logged

Ibizatrance
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 1:45am
Print Post  
I'll tell you why people want to watch TV on the internet. One is in case for some reason you happen to miss an episode of something that you are watching.  The other is when there is sport on most of the channels  like at the moment  with all this football.  I absolutely hate sport.  Both the BBC and ITV have more than one premier channel so why have they cancelled lots of programs and put this rubbish on both channels. In answer to your second question I have a 2.4 Metre dish and a double 0.8 LNB. A Humax hd box and receive perfect pictures on all channels on Freesat. I will also add that for 15 yrs I had my own computer Shop in Ibiza. At 2 AM this morning I received an email from Tooway telling me to get in touch with my local provider as again I put my letters on Facebook and so here we go on the roundabout.  I phone the local provider who tell me that as far as they know there is a connection.  I know that or I wouldn't be writing this, even though it took about 3 minutes to get here.  They tell me they will check with Italy and get back to me. Which they don't. Go back to the starting point.  I am on 22% of my quota for this month and still cut of after 1.5 weeks.  So make your mind up about this system, I know I have.  Starting this week my Son who lives near Benidorm is going to download all my films etc and put them on DVD and use the post.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:12am
Print Post  
That is disappointing.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Ibizatrance, I have to admit that I wondered the same as Flyboy.  If you have a double LNB feeding your Humax, why can't you record on that ?  If you don't have the PVR version, why have a double LNB ?
Apart from the fact that it's apparently possible, although fiddly, to get iPlayer etc. over here, the bandwidth available on WiMax or satellite would make it painful to watch.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Ibizatrance. Do you have to get a card for the Humax to access Freesat?

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Smidge.  No, you don't need a card.  Freesat is composed of a collection of "Free To Air" channels (as the name implies).  It's a similar bundle to "Freeview" in UK.
Here's a list of the channels.
http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/

Note that if you're contemplating getting a Humax box, there are two types.  Recording (PVR) and just the receiver.  You won't see them in the shops here but they are obtainable (I'm sure Nigel could assist.)

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bigyin!

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
This guy seems to know most things re freesat. Have a peek around the site below loads of info re all aspects of Sat TV. Good luck.

http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/receivers/freesat_receiver_decoder_digibox_humax...

Here are a few for sale on Ebay Spain to give you an idea of price.

http://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_from=R40&fts=2&_trksid=m570&_nkw=humax&_sacat=See...

Cool

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #27 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Ibizatrance, here is the graph of your usage.  You will see you have used 102.89% of your 8Gb, that's why it is slow.  You can get this information from their web page http://clientes.internet-tooway.com and log in with your SAI which is 4001 + the last 4 digits on the sticker on the side of the satellite terminal.

Always worth checking here first to see what you have used.

Nigel

usage.png ( 18 KB | Downloads )
usage.png
IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Interesting. There is usually a reason.

IP Logged

Ibizatrance
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 12:45am
Print Post  
I don't know how you have got this graph as I opened this page 5 minutes ago and it is still open and it says that in the past 4 week I have used 24.85% of my monthly usage.  So unless you have sold my account to someone else and I am paying for them how do you make it over 100%.

Client Statistics
1 Hour      
0.00%
1000/0.00
4 Hour      
0.00%
0/0
1 Day      
0.00%
0/0
1 Week      
0%
0/0
4 Week      
24.85%
8000/1,988.00

Please note 24.85%

Download 1,988.00 MB

As for Mr Know it all I have a double LNB because In a civilized place that I used to live (IBIZA) I had one set up for the house and one for the shop.  retired here 4 years ago and have been ripped off morew times than in the rest of my 68 years. This would never happen in Ibiza. People there had respect.
[

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top