Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Book review section? (Read 7573 times)
Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Book review section?
Aug 16th, 2012 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Just wondering if a book review section on the forum would be of interest? The way books circulate via the car boots it's not so difficult to get hold of a particular English language book.
I have just read 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' by Marina Lewycka, bought from ARCA car boot on Sunday (thank you Diane) and it was both funny and informative. The story  centres around an old man of eighty-four who marries a woman of thirty-six, much to his two daughters' horror. It also made a nice change from my literary diet of police/murder/mystery. Apologies now for all grammatical and punctuation errors in this posting!! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Re: Book review section?
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Any of you Ladies out there want to review "Fifty Shades of Grey" ?   Wink

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Another place for you to be able to buy books cheaply and swap, is the Freesia Group (Cancer Charity) Book Stall held every fortnight, in El Perello.  Next one is 18th. August.
Near Homegenic Bar.
Good parking there.

IP Logged

Eddie_Torres
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Any of you Ladies out there want to review "Fifty Shades of Grey" ?   Wink

[url]http://bizzybiz.blogspot.com.es/2012/06/50-crappity smacks-of-this_30.html[/url]

In literary terms, it is on the same shelf as Harry Potter and Jefferey Archer....

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Deer Memburs,
Wit nuw intresst in inglish granmare ant spilling I finck I sudd be de pisedent of dis nuw cub udders memburs sudd contat me two apliy fur vakent offishal posishuns.
Eddjewkated Eatum. Yurs Bulldog.

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
, I have just googled 'Fifty Shades of Grey' as I had never heard of it (much to my partner's amazement) and I'm sure you found it very 'uplifting' so perhaps you would like to review it here...  Grin

IP Logged

sweetsatcabossa
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Absolute load of old bollocks! If you have started it and think there must be some point in continuing with it, don't bother, it's just more of the same sad claptrap!

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Fox said that he had read somewhere that the author was making a million pounds a day in sales so obviously 'b******S' pays very well!

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Bulldog-sorry Mr. president, 'Have you heard about the agnostic, dyslexic insomniac who sat up all night wondering if there was a dog'? Yes it's an old joke but still good!

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Quote:
, I have just googled 'Fifty Shades of Grey' as I had never heard of it (much to my partner's amazement) and I'm sure you found it very 'uplifting' so perhaps you would like to review it here...  Grin

Have not read it myself,but know a few Ladies that have.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Bulldog-sorry Mr. president, 'Have you heard about the agnostic, dyslexic insomniac who sat up all night wondering if there was a dog'? Yes it's an old joke but still good!

Dear Hen Fox,
No I have not heard this joke and is there a dog. How did you know about me being dyslexic as I always use check spelling. I must admit since I stopped reading the bybull I do not sleep very well at night. Since reading your kind response and seeming knowledge of my dyslexic problem would it be possible to continue writing to you about my other worrying problems ( my grammar and spelling ).
Yours a now happier Bulldog. ( ex-president as I was overthrown by ebrorob). 

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Dear Mr. ex-President I started to panic for a moment wondering what these 'problems' might be, and if I had become an agony aunt! I'm afraid I'm the last person who should be advising on punctuation, grammar and spelling as anyone reading my posts' can tell- should there be an apostrophe in posts'? Yes I have read the book (Eats, Shoots and Leaves) but I still can't remember. Undecided

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:

Have not read it myself,but know a few Ladies that have.   Roll Eyes

And have they learnt anything from it.....????

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Hi Hen Fox,
Read your piece about a book club, but then it just went downhill like a brick.
My Wife and I (Thats  me and the missus, in plain english ) think your idea is great. We read as much as we can, having got rid of the tv 5 years ago.
Just read Under The Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes, but to much like a travel log/ cookery book for me
It would be nice to hear other peoples serious comments on a book.
There is a book club in the Library in Tortosa, it's finished for the summer but w Roll Eyesill let you know when it starts again, about sept/oct

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Shocked

Selection_from_the_book_club.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top