Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Car hire from Barcelona Airport (Read 11352 times)
philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Car hire from Barcelona Airport
Oct 9th, 2012 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Hi I am struggling to find a good deal for car hire for this November,best price I have is Holiday Autos using Gold-car, but!! there is the sting of pick up full @85 euros and return empty which is a bit of a conn to me ?
Nobrot posted earlier this year, pick up full return full, seems best to me
I used Gold Car last October and got a great new  diesel polo which gave me no trouble at all, this compared to my experience in  the Cars, service, staff(CROOKS) !!!!! I had from Sol-mar this February bear no comparison, and I would rather walk from El Prat to Tortosa than use them again!
Another close runner is 121 cars but I cannot find out the hire  car company ?
Any recent advice appreciated
Thanks
Phil
just noticed another broker,  has anyone used ecars ? they come out the cheapest, but again cannot find out, until you book,who the hire car company is ? Huh

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Re: Car hire from Barcelona Airport
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Find a car rental agent as opposed to one that owns it fleetThey usually use the big boys cars at discounted rates just to get cars on the road.Their terms and conditions are usually different.

http://www.carhire3000.com/Home.do?affiliateCode=google&label=Brand1-2YgrkRB4Qlx...

I got one from Pisa airport,took me a few minutes of head scratching and found they where using Herz cars at half the price.

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Car Hire Search and Auto Europe both have the decency to tell you who you will be getting your car from unlike Holiday Autos and the like.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:43am
Print Post  
I have used different online booking services but I usually return to Argus, they usually have Inter rent(Europa) or Hertz cars. I do not like the companies who bus you away from the airport. One company ( away from airport) I used were not open when I returned the car I had to leave it in the Airport parking and pay 17 Euros.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the links,I used Argus(cartrawler) in February and it was through them that I ended up with Sol -Mar, although Argus were quite supportive over the phone, it took me 3 -4 months of constant ringing to be compensated for a wasted day of my holiday, and toll costs for a car that frankly should not have been on the road, let alone rented out !!!
I should have returned the car the same night ,but this was the second car that night, as I rejected the first car which  had bald tyres, and as  I landed at 5.30 in the evening ,by the time I was on the motorway with the second car it was after 9.00 pm, I rang Sol-Mar at 10pm  and was promised the car would be swapped for me the following morning, not that I would have to drive back up to Barcelona the next day, with Toll costs and fuel,at my expense and a precious day wasted up at the finca.
By the way I used the link, and if you compare two sites carhire3000 and rentacar which are the same webpage, just the  top heading different, with a tenner difference in price for same car, and again you cannot tell until you book who the hire car company is also on this  site what the fuel charges are ?? but as well as Hertz and Europe car there is Gold Car as one of there recommended companies, who are they trying to kid !!!  if I could afford to pay a extra hundred or more with one of the big boys, then  there  would be no problem !! Cry
will let you know the outcome
Thanks
Phil

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
I have just booked a Daihatsu with Interent via Argus from Reus for 80 Euro  8 days. I have had this car out before its not great but the Daihatsu,s are new and I do not do much driving. Take full petrol leave back empty. Also Europa/Interrent at Reus are very aggressive in trying to sell you the optional roadside breakdown insurance, 5E a day you also need to tick it off on the Argus site if you do not want it

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
It never ceases to amaze me the legal cons these firms try.Upselling is the name of the game,there is very little return on basic rental income for these guys.I used to own a franchised operation close the MIA years ago and some of the stunts we pulled were sometimes beyond belief.

Selling windscreen ins,almost pure profit
Add.driver ins,pure profit
CDW (collision damage waiver) almost pure profit
Empty to empty tank. (no one ever bought brought a car back empty.pure profit on the fuel)
Buying a full tank from empty.As above
Selling the basic insurance package to foriegners.The vehicle was already insured,pure profit.
I'm sure breakdown cover was in there,again the vehicles were usually covered by manufacturors warranty or AA/RAC
I only ever had one customer,German, get upset and demand to be returned to terminal 1 so I dropped him at Terminal 2 for his troubles because he had pre booked another car,just in case.

Something to think about......

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Car hire from Barcelona Airport UPDATE
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Well after hours checking out companies etc...... discount codes ,cash back sites etc reviews from others, I have booked through Economy car hire, and car hirer is Centrauro cost for 11 days with discount code was £79.00 but I will get stung with the full /empty Conn Angry, and cost for tank of petrol between  60-140 euros, as it,s only a 2 door fiesta (not cheapest option) I would hope they will charge around 75-85 euros for the fuel, around 20-30 euro ripp off on the cost of the  fuel, I had a corsa in Feb and it cost me 56 euros to fill up but  how much has the cost of petrol gone up since then LOL!!!!!!!!
I could have got a cheaper price through ecarz £69.95 but with these excess charges of £350 for a replacement mirror ,£500 for minor damage,£250 a Tyre or take  the extra CDW @ £ 54 .00 on top of original price  I dare not take risk, whereas Economy car hire there is no excess etc... no ripp off 0871 10p min phone numbers etc... and you get to know who your hiring from.
I now cannot find any car hire firm, operating from El prat that are not using the full to empty conn, if you go through Europe car they state on there site, full to full, yet I read a review today on a site that yesterday a hirer was charged  full to empty and Budget etc.. are the same and cost for a basic panda etc... around £120+
So there  Undecided finger crossed I have done all I can, hopefully it  cannot be as bad a experience as February will have to see ?
Still not got a room booked,  thats my next task, this is looking like £40 + more,than same amount of night,s in February (tortosa Parc) so I might end up a extra night in my tent Grin
I hope this post might help
Phil
PS, I still love My finca and Spain  Grin

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2012 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
What is it they say about Yorkshiremen..???

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Last time we had a car on the full/empty lark we only used about a third of a tank. I took the gamble and filled it up myself before returning the car. Told them (Solmar) it was full and they didn't try to charge me for the tankful.

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 9:53am
Print Post  
They get thrashed by Lancashiremen if they go to war with them?
: )

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Come on boys, are you inferring Yorkshire men are Tight LOL!!!

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2012 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
No,No....just careful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top