Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Chipping, Shredding, Mulching (Read 6879 times)
PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Chipping, Shredding, Mulching
Jan 24th, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Has anyone found benefits in using a chipper / shredder for olive prunings? I'm fed up with burning huge quantities of prunings and seeing all that energy going to waste. Was wondering if chippings could be spread out to season and then burnt indoors on the woodburner. I'd love to hear of others experiences before lashing out on an expensive machine.

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Re: Chipping, Shredding, Mulching
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
I use my two donkeys who eat everything up to about 2cm thick, then I burn the rest in my wood burner. Goats do the same job.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Goats +1
and they even distribute their 'fertiliser' around my finca for me as well

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Hi Pete,
I tried a chipper/shredder, one of the bigger electric home-use models (2400 watt): terribly slow and useless for any more the a very small quantity of prunings. Also they stuck real often on thick parts. I started to build wood-walls on my land by stacking the prunings so I don't have to burn anymore. Lovely for birds and small wildlive.
Mark

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2013 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Had a 4 stroke one a few years ago.Brilliant for olive and pine cuttings as they are relatively straight and can be fed in easily.Not the same with carob branches.The chipping do make great mulch for flower beds and pathways, don't know about burning though.Great for chipping carob pods for horse and dog food suppliment.

IP Logged

AndyJulie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
WOODCHIPPERS ARE FANTASTIC FOR MULCHING BUT THE BRANCHES MUST BE FRESH. ONCE DRIED THE MACHINE WILL STRUGGLE.
HOWEVER YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE THAT IT IS COMPLETELY COMPOSTED AND NOT STILL ROTTING. THIS
CAN CAUSE DISEASE. AVOID IT TOUCHING YOUR VALUABLE PLANTS. IF YOU WANT IT TO DECOMPOSE OR COMPOST QUICKLY BURY IT FOR 12 MONTHS, KEEP IT WATERED, DIG IT UP OR DIG IT OVER. JOB DONE.
TIP
ALMOND HUSKS MAKE A GOOD MULCH.....DRY OR COMPOSTED.
ANDY

IP Logged

Chris_Lesley
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
I've noticed that some of the roundabouts have bark chippings as a mulch, does anyone know where it can be bought? Also, is it possible to hire a decent woodchipper?

IP Logged

coldalba
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I too have struggled with what to do with olive prunings.
Yes there are ways of chopping (small bits) up, but then they do not rot very quickly, it is often too dry for the fungi. We use a trituradora on a tractor as well as goats and burning anything worth it in the house woodburner.

Mulch is used for paths etc as it stops growth (it takes Nitrogen in before it releases any goodness).

The municipal compost place near Camarles will take them in and will make them into compost, but charge 23€ a tonne  to accept them. You pay about 10€ a tonne for the compost which is good value.

IP Logged

Chris_Lesley
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2013 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
That municipal compost place sounds interesting, where is it exactly.

IP Logged

Manna@mannahouse
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2013 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
I make long (3m) thin (10 cm) bundles with the straight bits tied together with twine and then make wicker fences out of these around my gardens.. keeps the dogs out and the smaller life forms entertained and homed.
I also use the husks from the almonds as a mulch just getting going with this now.
I didn't know you could feed carob to dogs... good idea.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top