Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Ignorant locals (Read 7601 times)
Nobrot
Ex Member

Ignorant locals
May 3rd, 2013 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Got into a heated discussion earlier with an English speaking local who failed to see the importance of English as a multi national language. Granted I did tell him Catalan was as pointless as Welsh and that he should remove his blinkers, wake up and embrace the modern age. The firms that have English speakers are the clued up ones whilst others just moan and disrespect and keep their head firmly up their *******.I really dont understand the mentality sometimes

Rant over

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Re: Ignorant locals
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2013 at 7:57am
Print Post  
The majority of companies around here are not international companies, therefore they have no need to learn to speak English.
Local companies deal with local people who speak the local language.
I feel that it's the people who move into this area and make no attempt to learn the local languages who are the ignorant ones.
Some expats ought to move to Andalusia or perhaps Salou, where everyone speaks English.
Not a rant but an observance

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2013 at 8:33am
Print Post  
cactus jack wrote on May 4th, 2013 at 7:57am:
The majority of companies around here are not international companies, therefore they have no need to learn to speak English.
Local companies deal with local people who speak the local language.
I feel that it's the people who move into this area and make no attempt to learn the local languages who are the ignorant ones.
[highlight]Some expats ought to move to Andalusia or perhaps Salou, where everyone speaks English.
[/highlight]Not a rant but an observance

I think Cactus may be suggesting something Nobby.    Wink

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2013 at 9:27am
Print Post  
An example of...was talking to the guy at the winery in Bot both at the food fira last month and again last week and he actually put the idea in my head. He is local, produces a local product, employs local people, buys from local businesses but sells internationally and guess what...speaks good English and as he says so do the majority of Dutch,the Belgiums,the Germans etc etc  all forward thinking countries.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2013 at 10:18am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2013 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I certainly agree that if anyone wants to be part of an 'international business market' they should be able to speak the language required whether it is English, Cantonese or whatever.  In the latest bulletin we have received from Sol d'Ebre they are advertising a management position and one of the requirements is the ability to speak Catalan, Castillian and English and I have heard from people who work in the emergency services that they need to speak English if they want to gain any kind of promotion.  All of the bodegas that I have visited (and there have been quite a few) who are interested in exporting have English speakers too.

As cactus jack says though the majority of businesses here aren't international and never will be so it isn't necessary.  I can't see our local panaderia, carnisseria or peixeteria going global and as Pondboy and I are the only people who live here full time who are native English speakers I think it is probably safe to say that we are only going to fit in properly (which we want to do) if we speak their language rather than expect them to speak ours.  We would be the 'ignorant' ones to expect anything else.

As for telling someone that their native language is pointless, I'm not surprised he didn't agree with you  Grin  Language is an intrinsic and important part of national and cultural identity and not something that should be dismissed lightly.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2013 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
As of this September any student entering University in Spain will be required to pass their 'First Certificate' in English, irrespective of the subject they are studying.  Without this they will not receive their degree.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2013 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Common sense prevails

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2013 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Nigel wrote on May 4th, 2013 at 3:07pm:
As of this September any student entering University in Spain will be required to pass their 'First Certificate' in English, irrespective of the subject they are studying.  Without this they will not receive their degree.

What sort of level is that?

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2013 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Does this include correct spelling and grammar?

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2013 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
My personnel opinion is the title should not be" Ignorant locals"
but Ignorant Native locals !
But it is certainly time that the town Councils started providing bills etc.translated into other languages and stopped trying to ignore rate payers,wether Extranjeroes or locals, in the hope that they will go home.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2013 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I think that describing people who choose to speak their own language in their own country 'ignorant' is beyond rude. 

Into how many languages do you think the cash-strapped town halls should translate their bills? If your language skills are so little that you cannot even read a bill you might want to consider who is ignorant here.

rita, if the exams include spelling and grammar the Spanish will clearly end up better able to speak and write English than vast swathes of ex-pats.

IP Logged

Betty_Swollox

Old git

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2013 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
My goodness, what a can of worms Ian has opened here !

I have my own experience of locals who cannot speak English and who do not want to (why should they if they have lived here all their lives and had little contact with the English). However this has really not been an issue for me as I have come to their country (Spain ... and to a particular part called Catalonia) except the time when I went to BASE to query a land tax bill and opened with "Lo siento, pero mi espangnol es no muy bien ..... so speak slowly please... to be met with "if you cannot speak Spanish my friend you should not have come to this country". This was not delivered in a vindictive way but with a friendly attitude. I appreciated that opinion and resolved to try harder to learn the language ... NOT Catalan but Spanish. Everyone speaks Spanish and I think it is too narrow a perspective to limit one's learning to Catalan rather than Spanish as a whole.

I love it here and a big part of our being here is to live in harmony with the people and their way of life. I think that most of the people I have met here also want that.

Thanks,
Simon

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2013 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I know enough Castillian to get by and I am trying to learn Catalan as well as possible because that is the everyday language of the area in which we choose to live.  Which language people choose to learn is really down to personal choice but for heaven's sake people learn at least one of them

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2013 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I know enough Castillian to get by and I am trying to learn Catalan as well as possible because that is the everyday language of the area in which we choose to live.  Which language people choose to learn is really down to personal choice but for heaven's sake people learn at least one of them

Hear hear

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top