Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 CENSORSHIP (Read 14616 times)
skibob
Ex Member

CENSORSHIP
Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Rita , I have moved my thread at your request.

Quote Modify Remove   
Rita, What kind of CENSORSHIP  are you running on this forum?

I seem to remember the debate on this forum, when  really  derogatory and libellous  remarks were said about certain people.

Nigel, when asked, said he was unable to take them off.  Embarrassed

Now it seems we say a few words about Animals, and after I asked you not to take it off, because it might help anyone who has to consider the awful question. Of weather to take their animals back to the UK or not.

Low and behold, the said piece if gone.

But you can remove a thread. How come!! Huh

I ask again.  What kind of CENSORSHIP are you running on this forum.

Yours perplexed.  Angry

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Yesterday at 6:43pm   

Ritaratbag   Offline
Global Moderator
Forum newbie

As I statedearlier today,
I remove Items for Sale, Items Wanted and Freecycling, after they have been on the Forum for around three months, or before if the person advertising, is kind enough to ask me to delete beforehand.
It does state at the top of the columns to kindly ask for deletion.
Today I was asked by Ed, to remove his from Freecycling.
I followed his instructions.
Maybe you would like to write something now, under say for instance 'General Chat' for instance. Rita.

IP Logged

cazntony
Ex Member

Re: CENSORSHIP
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:24am
Print Post  
I think that Ed was right to ask it to be removed as the purpose of the post was to find Nobby a new home which has now happened.

I wish Nobby best of luck in his new home.

Perhaps a new thread could be started on the rights or wrongs of animals and returning to the uk if you wish to carry on the discussion and it may not become personal.

Caz

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Thanks for answering some of my questions.
I could not fined your instruction about removal of threads.

You or Nigel, have still not answered my question. So l will ask another one or two.

How is the removal of a thread formulated?
Do you Nigel, have the final say to remove a thread if a request has been made to remove it?
If a request has been made, and your refuse to remove it? Do you have to give your reasons?

I would thought in a democracy you would have to. Undecided

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:28am
Print Post  
skibob ,i totally agree with what you are saying .yes you are correct the post that should have been deleated and i did say in the post it was about time the forum monitors came in and deleated it .i got a lot of stick on here for sticking up for what was the right thing to do but i also got a lot of praise from the people in our village and said good on you to me. but i told them if thay were thinking the same as me and some others on here then thay should have spoken out not hide in the background . i will probably get some stick by replying to this post now ...but who cares ...not me

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Quote:
I think that Ed was right to ask it to be removed as the purpose of the post was to find Nobby a new home which has now happened.

I wish Nobby best of luck in his new home.

Perhaps a new thread could be started on the rights or wrongs of animals and returning to the uk if you wish to carry on the discussion and it may not become personal.

Caz

hi caz , we all hope that nobby as found a new home and he will be happy ,but as i said before a animal becomes part of the family and if a person cant look after one for life and thats an average of around 15 years then thay should not have a pet at all .also if thay are moveing away then take the animal /animals with them not dump them on someone else. said my piece Sad

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Rob,
Freecycling is not a thread.
Therefore it is my job as moderator to remove items from this section along with 'items for sale' and 'items wanted'.
This happens if and when I am informed by a member,when things have been sold, found etc.
Or, otherwise after about 3 months of listing.

If there is a thread that contains filth, swearing or such like
I usually ask Nigel, who then decides whether we should delete it or not.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Rita does a great job on the forum and it's all voluntary. I don't have time to read/analyse/verify validity etc. of everything that is posted so it's great to have someone to help out.

Very little gets censored, I can only recall 2 or possibly 3 things in 8 years.

Re Nobby, please remember that everyone's circumstances are different and whilst today you may get a new cat/dog/whatever remember that in 5 years or 5 months circumstances can change a lot and that sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

My dog is re-homed from an ex-pat who got a rescue dog and then for family reasons 6 months later had to unexpectedly return to the UK. 7 1/2 years later she is still happy running round the garden chasing her ball.  I'm sure she would have been pretty miserable in the small flat that her owner was forced to return to.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
In response to Nigel's post I also have to say please don't knock Rita.  I was for a time a moderator on this forum and in the end the brickbats I used to receive made me realise that I did not wish to continue.  I wonder how many of you have ever moderated a forum or would even bother to put yourselves forward.  At times it is certainly no bed of roses, everyone ready to throw the mud but never ever any words of thanks.  So to Rita I would say a very big thank-you for being able to do such a good job and for holding your patience with those so eager to throw stones. 
Keep it up Rita.   Smiley

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
I agree with you to a certain extent Nen, but when l was in the Sevices and posted abroad for 2/3 years. We adopted pets from people who had finished their tour of duty. We were encouraged not to take our loving pets back to the UK, because animals are not like humans, they don't adjust to change in the same way as we do. We all like to keep our pets for as long as we can , but peoples circumstances change, so you should not criticise a person when they have to leave a loving pet behind. 

Sorry Nigel, but you have not answered my questions

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
What questions?
Can I remove a thread - yes, I've never said I can't.
Can I edit a thread - same answer.

Censorship by anyone is subjective to that persons own knowledge and experiences. Sometimes it is forced on the censor by third parties.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
I have a friend who has done 4yrs Army service in Germany and they are in the throws of a move for 4yrs in Cyprus.  Their dog has gone to the UK to stay with his parents until the move has taken place and then the dog is on her way to Cyprus. Granted it is being done this way as the Army will not transport animals, but they would not leave her behind so they are doing it this way.  She doesn't seem to mind at all.

Our two settled in no problem coming from UK to Spain.  They are adaptable if they are loved and cared for.......

Don't forget not so long ago your pets had to stay in quarantine but it didn't stop people who care about their animals moving them around.

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
In response to Nigel's post I also have to say please don't knock Rita.  I was for a time a moderator on this forum and in the end the brickbats I used to receive made me realise that I did not wish to continue.  I wonder how many of you have ever moderated a forum or would even bother to put yourselves forward.  At times it is certainly no bed of roses, everyone ready to throw the mud but never ever any words of thanks.  So to Rita I would say a very big thank-you for being able to do such a good job and for holding your patience with those so eager to throw stones. 
Keep it up Rita.   Smiley

hi tony i am not knocking rita she does a good job but back in may i think it was there was a topic that should have been stopped before it got too far but was left to carry on thay are the sort of posts that should be deleated . but that was more down to nigel as he runs this forum and i was up to him to put a stop to it .sorry rita sorry nigel but we do need them sort of posted nipped in the bud

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Hi Nen,
I think I am right in thinking that you are talking about the posts re ferring to  estate agents?
No names had been mentioned at first. So we found no need to delete the post.
But when you stated names it spiralled from there.
That person spoke with Nigel and then joined the Forum themselves and wrote their own comments, on the subject.

Sorry but we can't please everyone, all of the time.
Apart from that Nigel is out working every day, so is unable to check posts and threads as they are written.
I don't sit on here all day every day either.
But if in doubt about things, I usually contact Nigel for his advice.
I think the majority of people are happy with this Forum and find it helpful and interesting, and that's what it's all about.
Along with our members we also have plenty of visitors
viewing every day.
Rita.

IP Logged

ulrika
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 9:55am
Print Post  
No intention what so ever to get into a discussion I donīt understand, I want to say this forum is invaluable for us trying to get a place of our own in Spain. All things like how to deal with parkingtickets, the water situation, all the information and experience people are so willingly sharing is a shortcut to us.

So, just saying thank you to Nigel and Rita for spending time and perhaps money to make this forum possible. Most appreciated. And also thanks to all people sharing their knowledgde to us newbies or wannabees. We have had nothing but good experience from all of you. Smiley

//Ulrika

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 19th, 2013 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Ritaratbag wrote on Jul 19th, 2013 at 9:31am:
Hi Nen,
I think I am right in thinking that you are talking about the posts re ferring to  estate agents?
No names had been mentioned at first. So we found no need to delete the post.
But when you stated names it spiralled from there.
That person spoke with Nigel and then joined the Forum themselves and wrote their own comments, on the subject.

Sorry but we can't please everyone, all of the time.
Apart from that Nigel is out working every day, so is unable to check posts and threads as they are written.
I don't sit on here all day every day either.
But if in doubt about things, I usually contact Nigel for his advice.
I think the majority of people are happy with this Forum and find it helpful and interesting, and that's what it's all about.
Along with our members we also have plenty of visitors
viewing every day.
Rita.

rita you have got that all wrong if you go to the post i am talking about it was PONDGIRL that mentioned names that is why i rang the people up and told them what was being said about them i dont expect to be pleased all of the time but the posts that are out to ruin peoples livelihood and are slanderous should be dealt with i didn't get any support from you or nigel all you two had to say was this post is getting out of hand and put a stop to it.anyway we were friends but i suppose i will get the cold shoulder now never mind i did the right thing at the time its a pity others didnt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top