Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Nelson Mandela has died aged 95 (Read 11868 times)
Pondgirl
Ex Member

Re: Nelson Mandela has died aged 95
Reply #15 - Dec 14th, 2013 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
"The fact l was there gives me a more balanced view."

Interesting claim.  My friend who served two tours of NI developed quite a squinted view about people who shot at him and killed a comrade.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Pondgirl, "squinted view "Squinted =To look askance, as in disapproval. Normal balanced reaction of any person towards another who has tried to kill him/her would you not agree. ?  I mean if he was full of approval it would be an unbalanced view to have. ?  Bob will be delighted with your supporting post this time Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2013 at 1:34pm by »  

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
No, as in distorted.  I think it would be impossible not to be biased against people that have shot at you, so I don't agree that someone would automatically be balanced in their outlook just because they have served in NI.  I have Irish friends that might disagree for a start.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 15th, 2013 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Squinted as in distorted, have to take your word for that I do not know your friend.
"I don't agree that someone would automatically be balanced in their outlook just because they have served in NI." I fully agree but if you are implying that Bob meant the highlighted in his statement I do not agree . I understand Bob to mean that because he was in NI, he experienced it and as a result has a more balanced view than if he had not experienced it.

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 16th, 2013 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Thank you Smidge. l could not have put it better.
Which part do your Irish friends not agree with Pondgirl
l have a colleague who is still working in Stormont and  is shaking hands with the very people we exchanging bullets with.
Didn't take me 27 years to realise the Pen is mightier than the Sword.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
Squinted as in distorted, have to take your word for that I do not know your friend.
"I don't agree that someone would automatically be balanced in their outlook just because they have served in NI." I fully agree but if you are implying that Bob meant the highlighted in his statement I do not agree . I understand Bob to mean that because he was in NI, he experienced it and as a result has a more balanced view than if he had not experienced it.

I believe that because he experienced it he has a more informed view but I can't agree that his view is necessarily more balanced, it's just as likely that his experienced could make him biased.  I'm mean, I'll take his word for it, being Christmas and all, but it isn't a given.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Fair enough Pondgirl. It works both ways, because your friend had a particular view due to his experiences in NI it is not a "given" that others who were there have a similar view.
Anyway, Happy Christmas! to you and Bob.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #22 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Dear skibob/Pondgirl and Smidge,
WHO shot Nelson and which country was he shot in, N.I. or S.Africa if N.I. why was he there anyway at 95 years old and if you Pondgirl are correct it appears to be skibob who carried out this act. Skibob why did you shoot a 95 year old black man just for visiting N.I. I must admit that while I was there I did not enjoy it but did show some self control and didn't shoot oaps just for visiting and Smidge why are you doing an undercover advert for Specsavers and who has the dodgy eyes and squints?
Merry Christmas to you all from a somewhat concerned Bulldog.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IP Logged

munkonminor

Reply #23 - Dec 17th, 2013 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Excellent Bulldog, beautifully rounded up, perhaps that will be the end of the tread.............although I somehow doubt it.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #24 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 7:50am
Print Post  
TREAD carefully!

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 11:05am
Print Post  
munkonminor wrote on Dec 17th, 2013 at 9:57pm:
Excellent Bulldog, beautifully rounded up, perhaps that will be the end of the tread.............although I somehow doubt it.

Munk,
Do I detect a slight Irish accent here?    Wink

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Dec 18th, 2013 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
It's a good job I'm dyslexic,I thought something  had happened to the local Nissan main dealer

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top