Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
BBC Iplayer. Encryption. (Read 2880 times)
Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

BBC Iplayer. Encryption.
Sep 4th, 2014 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Maybe not but they are thinking about it. I just thought it would be unworkable/enforceable. However lots of people in the UK some 500,000 are using the loophole of watching iplayer "I do not have a TV set" and thus evading the licence fee.I would think the BBC will find a way to block that loophole soonest.  Angry

BBC iPLAYER "TO BE ENCRYPTED"
BBC Director-General Tony Hall confirmed last month that the corporation is looking to close the loophole of online viewers of the BBC not paying the Licence Fee, by introducing a form of encryption at some point in the future. At present, to view live TV on iPlayer, all a person has to do is to state that they have a licence, whether or not that is true (no check is made). Geo-blocking is enforced, however, meaning only users who have a UK IP address can have access. In the run-up to the next licence fee negotiations the government, BBC management is trying to preserve the licence fee in its current form, rather than move to a subscription model, often proposed by its competitors and media organisations with vested interests, such as those who own both newspapers and TV channels.

Why it will "Not" happen....

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/15/bbc-iplayer-encryption-subscription...

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Re: BBC Iplayer. Encryption.
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2014 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
I would happily pay a licence fee equivalent to be able to watch the BBC properly.  I don't know why they don't sort it out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top