Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 understanding the solar systems (Read 10940 times)
Petertwosheds
Ex Member

Re: understanding the solar systems
Reply #15 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 10:44am
Print Post  
We have a very similar set up, only my heating is via radiators and a log burner that incorporates a back boiler, had to bring that over from the UK though, and keep the butane gas heaters for back up, never really keen on flue-less heaters

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #16 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Other considerations:-
How are you heating your water ?
How are you cooking ?
Refrigeration ?
These items would suggest that a number of gas bottles will be needed anyway.
How much of the winter do you intend to spend here ?
Have you got firewood available on site ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Re: Heating

Over eleven years I've used gas heaters(gas is pretty cheap but there is the condensation problem),new generation parrafin heaters(no condensation,minimum odour but the fuel is expensive here) and wood burning stoves(cheapest option fuel wise but can be messy and you have to clean/set it every day). 
Don't be frightened by people talking about back boilers and a thousand+ euro costs for stoves, whilst it's true you can heat the whole place with radiators from your stove and cook on/in it you don't have to jump right in straight away. You can get a new small wood burner starting about €100,plus you'll need chimney pipes, and you can upgrade later rather than jump straight in with top of the range. It gives you time to figure what suits you and who and where is trustworthy on advice and price.
Welcome to the forum and best of luck for your new life.
Bruixot

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
thanks everyone:) loads to consider & interesting to see the alternative thoughts.

I'm very much the way of thinking to try a few things before committing to major investment, but I do want to move over to a WB/multi fuel stove rather than the bulky &, most probably, really inefficient open fireplace that is there ATM, not sure if I want/need to go with back boiler, to me back boiler to heat water might be better?? but then I'd need a cylinder…….

at present there are 2 gas boilers, on for the kitchen & one of the bathrooms (I think) & one for the other bathroom & the cooker is gas.

I have been mulling over bringing alternative cooking means i.e. halogen oven, small electric oven, slow cooker, bread maker etc  but again I'm overwhelmed with information, but did discover that the microwave is the cheapest form of cooking!

Fridge is electric I think.

We are over for about 2 weeks before christmas & will not be back till feb probably, so this visit is really to see how we go, but as we are driving down I wanted to bring what i could just in case we fly another time & have luggage restrictions.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #19 - Nov 22nd, 2015 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
James.
I've sent you an email.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I agree with bruxiot.
I brought over from uk a £800 wood burner which I have in my living room. Last winter I didn't use it at all as it is very inefficient and using stacks of wood.
I have in my kitchen a size 2 pot belly type burner, which cost less than 120€ including flue, that uses a quarter of the wood and heats the living room as well if I leave the kitchen door open.
I originally installed a gas fired boiler and radiators which costs a fortune to run and after one year took it out (wanna buy some radiators?)
I have a gas heater in the bathroom, because I'm a wimp and hate the cold
I run a large chest freezer and a large fridge/freezer from my solar  and my water is heated by a gas water heater on demand, about three gas bottle a year.
Cooking is also on gas bottles about 4 bottles a year (I drink a lot of tea)
I find that to run generators is very expensive even with the large diesel genny that I have. Better to spend your money on a really decent solar installation.
Just my experience Wink

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 23rd, 2015 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
thanks Jack

I have investigated WB stoves as I wanted one here in the UK, I know that you have to have one that is the right size for your room or you will coke up the flue & cause fires, i.e. it shouldn't be too big.

it sounds like we have the water & cooking systems like you have. I believe the solar system is good, but only time & usage will tell:)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top