Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Another Free UK TV Source (Read 8275 times)
Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Another Free UK TV Source
Dec 13th, 2015 at 2:33pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Re: Another Free UK TV Source
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Bunter, can you or any other members give me the benefit of your knowledge? When our old TV broke down last year we were advised to buy a smart TV, which could work with the internet but after buying it was later told it was blocked so could not use it with the internet, so we then spent a fortune on buying a huge dish etc. but we are back in the same position of no signal and only works intermittently. So I looked at all the posts relating to the TV on the forum and saw that members were getting TV through the internet. So we tried Filmon and it worked but because of my wife's poor health its very difficult for her to come into the room where the computer is and watch the TV on the computer screen but after speaking to a person with next to no English and I having very little Spanish I believe he said that with us having a smart TV we could connect the wifi box to the TV by an ethernet cable and this should allow her to watch the UK TV on the telly, is this correct? Secondly we would need several metres of cable, so does anyone know where we can buy this cable and fittings in the Tortosa area and  what would we ask for as our only alternative we have been offered, is yet another expensive box and package which would cost hundreds of euros again with no guarantee that this service would not fail as well.
Yours Bulldog.

IP Logged

spanishcatfishing

catfish guide

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
We use an android box connects via WiFi
Or you can buy a cable from beeps near lidl
Will make the length you need

Tom & Mo
IP Logged

David
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Reply to Bulldog
There is a chance that you can get the UK TV from your computer to your TV without buying anything. There is a system called EZCast (easy cast in english) that allows you to 'cast' ie send videos, pictures etc from computer, tablet, mobile phone to the tv. If you have  a smart TV, it may have a cast application built in. You need to consult the manual. If not, you can get a EZCast dongle via ebay for under £10. The TV must have an HDMI socket - again refer to the manual. EZcast software can be downloaded free to most platforms. So dont buy anything yet until you have tried a few things. Also what size sat dish have you got ?
David

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Bulldog.  Try this below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho5HQKr54Tg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtXGVQ4rVRK9N31896v-x2Q

If you inform us of your tv make and model we may be able to help. SAMSUNG H series is the best to adjust the location settings and obtain the UK services.

Put you make and model into you tube and have a look if someone has a video like those above for your tv.

I bought one of these routers below which was 59 pounds for 12 months vpn when l bought it just plug it into your Spanish router and plug in or wifi link your tv , sky box, and tablets to that routers ip address. The after sales is 1st class and it would cost you 59 quid for a vpn for a year anyway so happy days.They now only give you three months but still its hassle free l bought this because my internet provider had made it difficult to set one up myself without a load of hassle.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Configured-UK-VPN-Router-/121815051128?hash=item1c5cbe2b7...

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2015 at 3:36am by Bunter »  

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Many thanks all for the info given it was much appreciated.
The dish size is 1.8 mts. and the TV is an L.G Smart TV LN57. I went to Beep this morning but he advised me against the length of cable but he supplied me with a powerline adapter started kit which we tried out and it does get Tunnelbear from the computer to the TV, so at least we are getting something on the TV screen. At present the freesat box is still getting no signal except on the odd occasion when it gets ITV, ch5 and 4hd, I just wondered if this is happening to anybody else?
Thanks again Bulldog.

IP Logged

David
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Bulldog. With a 1.8m dish you should be getting most if not all the UK channels. Are you using a Sky digibox ?
Have you ever received all the channels on this 1.8m dish ?
If they have gradually faded away then perhaps your dish may need re-alignment. I have a 1.4m dish which means I can receive most channels apart from BBC1,2,3,4 and ITV. Channel 5 is nearly always present but is the first to go when the weather is poor. I watch channel 4  ireland. Same progs but adverts are different. The signal is very strong.
I watch the missing channels over the internet. Hope that helps

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Hi Bulldog

David is right however a lot of these 1.8 dishes do not deliver. Nigel went to great lengths with area testing before he started installing them however after Sky and the UK footprint changed some were not getting the full list of channels Nigel in good faith hoped he would provide. We had very strong winds a few weeks ago and the dish may have moved or your LNB worked loose it only takes a small shift to cause problems. I would have this checked before paying out any more cash for other avenues of reception. You should be able to use one of the other VPN providers to change your DNS settings on your LG TV see link below. The after sales service re help and assistance is second to none. Tunnelbear I love but does not provide the DNS settings option. I am in the same boat as others in that I have a 80cm dish but do not get BBC1 etc but I do get channel 5 HD and 4 and 4 plus 1 from the other setting channels on my Sky box. I can get Sky catchup via my UK router. I also have an android box for all the Sky movies and Sky/Bt Sports. I can get all the USA film channels as well. I could ditch Sky but I like to make sure if Kodi folded good old Sky would provide something for my wife to view. That may change in the new year when Sky change their system (SKY Q) and present LNBs and set top boxes will not be able to access SKY. I do not know if the old and the new will run in tandem.

http://grcade.co.uk/t:sky-set-to-announce-new-skyq-4k-enabled-box

Remember Bulldog you have to subscribe to Unblock-us before you use their system but I believe there is a free trial to see if it works for you.

https://support.unblock-us.com/customer/en/portal/articles/291584-how-to-setup-y
our-lg-smart-tv-with-unblock-us

Left_a_bit_Rod_right_a_bit_001.jpg ( 8 KB | 163 Downloads )
Left_a_bit_Rod_right_a_bit_001.jpg

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 8:28am
Print Post  
This thread is a great surprise to me , I thought that you were not able to get any signal  with less than a 2.4m dish,reading that there are still English speaking   channels available on a 80cm  wow !!! I remember reading a post by Nigel a couple of years ago, he was driving up and down the motorway testing  with a I think  a 2.4m dish  and having great difficulty receiving a signal. I had ruled out satellite dishes all together.So if the new Sky boxes are going to be redundant then it,s possible that there may be some alternative sat receivers/software  without using data/wifi as I dont think I will go down that route, due to not having any internet at my shack ,only if it does happen that you are able to use your UK phone/data  package in Europe within the next couple of years,  and  I only have  500mb  a month so not realy much use for streaming feeds.
very interesting thread. 
By the way every time I stay at  Spanish hotels I  can usually change the TV settings in the menu to English speaking on quite a few Spanish channels Discovery max etc...may seem obvious, but I was not aware until Nobrot passed this on to me  this years ago.

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Upgrade to the new sky plus app on your tablet etc as the new December 15th upgrade now contains BBC iplayer YESSSSSSSSS BBC and Sky wow who would think they would ever get into bed together.  Grin

For Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.android.skyplus&hl=en_GB

For apple products

What's New in Version 5.2

You can now access iPlayer listings on the app

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sky+/id301250225?mt=8

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Dishes are ok in the summer but a disaster in the winter and if you go north of El Perello pretty much forget it.

What I install now where there is no unlimited internet is a BBC backup system, all the BBC channels, ITV1, C4 and Film4+1 - BUT...
It's not an official service so could disappear at any time. It has been around for a while but could get switched off at any time without warning so it is a gamble.

I do all the installation (realign/reposition your existing dish etc) plus the box with the latest software/codes plus hdmi cable or scart adaptor (if an old tv) for 200 euros.  No need for internet or big dishes - it works on anything from an 80cm upwards.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Hi all, thanks for all your help. For the last 11mths we have received all the free channels with no problems even after the strong winds but from around the 18th Nov. it started to play up and we lost all channels except Sky news ( our box is a Humax ) for about a week, then they started to come back bit by bit. We have lost them several times now for varying lengths of time but yesterday we got back BBC1HD, ITVHD, 4HD and 5HD which we still have at present but for how long we do not know. So we wondered if anyone else has the same problem?
Yours Bulldog.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top