Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Police stopped our car! Why? (Read 8641 times)
RiumarPat
Ex Member

Police stopped our car! Why?
Jan 12th, 2016 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Today the police stopped us on a roundabout, which is very unusual as they usually let us go by. The only thing they showed interest in was the driver's UK licence & they wrote  down the details of this.  Can anyone tell us why? Is this sinister?

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Re: Police stopped our car! Why?
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2016 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
You have to change to Spanish driving licence if you are
living here. There are posts on this Forum, with information, rules etc. Also about getting cars re registered here aswell.
Police can check from any flight and ferry information, in your name/s, even bank transactions and mobile phone use, so they are clever.
They know how long you are here, or back in the U.K.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I've been interested in this topic for a while now, as If I ever manage to retire, Id like to spend as much time as I can at my shed on the hill, but I  don't want to go down the full residency route, as will still have a house/UK car etc..  so does anyone know the full length of stay in Spain/insurance for UK car etc.. I once heard you could insure the car in Gibraltar and this was a loop hole ,also that to leave Spain and stay in Andorra for a night then return  was another loop hole, but I have never checked these facts out ,must be ways of staying within the law and making it work  Smiley

IP Logged

RiumarPat
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Yes Phil, our position too, we always get insurance in the UK to cover any stay out of the country. I don't know anything about this Andorra business, why not France? not that I know about this!

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Why would you want to look for loop holes?

IP Logged

DenGeo

Forum newbie

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2016 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
One day over 6 months in Spain means you are resident in Spain as I am.  My wife is listed as resident in the UK and she never stays in Spain for over 6 months in any 12 month period.  I re-registered my UK car to Spanish plates, the insurance, road tax, and MOT (ITV) are cheaper here than the UK also.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your replies ,I suppose Rita for purely financial reason,s, I don't want to have to register/unregister a UK  car/van in Spain, then drive back to the UK and have hassle expense once back.
So if you leave Spain toward,s the end of your 6 months,  I wonder is there any time limit on your return ? also I am sure there is a problem with UK car insurance and only being OK driving abroad for a certain number of day,s  the 1 time I did drive down, I took out extra cover,that,s when I heard about insuring through Gibraltar, but as I mentioned I never looked into it, and it,s a few years back now.
Thank again for any advise Grin

IP Logged

DenGeo

Forum newbie

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2016 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
There is no time limit on your return as the law states you are resident in the country where you spend  over 6 months in a 12 month period.  My Spanish car insurance gives me third party cover anywhere in the EU for any period, I would only re-register it to U.K. plates, MOT, tax and insurance if I decided to return to U.K. resident.  As I spend more time in Spain than the U.K., and it makes better financial sense in my case, I will remain Spanish resident.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks Den for the info,I can see it makes sense for you,I am ten years of retirement Cry so will see how things pan out.

IP Logged

DenGeo

Forum newbie

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2016 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Well Phil I am 6 years from my state pension so nothing to do with retirement, I am just enjoying the chance to relax for a change after working flat out for 40 years.

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Don't forget that residency in any EU country of over 6 months means you MUST register that country as your tax domicile.  Domestic Residencia is one thing. Fiscal Residencia is another.  Spain wants your tax and they have employed people to track yuo down.

IP Logged

DenGeo

Forum newbie

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2016 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
An annual trip to Carlos Albacar in Tortosa to enter the annual tax return and direct debits for local and national taxes, electric water etc.  A private health insurance plan.  Vehicle registered to Spanish plates, road tax and insurance.  Stay legal and relax.
It also means no access to the N.H.S. in the U.K. as that is a residence based service.  I may review the situation after my retirement, time will tell. Smiley

IP Logged

cubetwo
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
DenGeo wrote on Jan 21st, 2016 at 9:27pm:
It also means no access to the N.H.S. in the U.K. as that is a residence based service.  I may review the situation after my retirement, time will tell. Smiley

Just a correction on the subject of access to NHS in the UK.

My Form S1 just received states

" However, as you will have your healthcare paid for by the UK by means of an S1 in your country of residence, from April 2015 your right to return to England for all treatment including elective, has been extended. This means that you can access NHS treatment in England as if ordinarily resident (this means treatment will be free unless a statutory charge also applies to residents in England, for example prescription charges). You will not need to obtain any kind of authorisation from your country of residence prior to seeking treatment"

It does not however apply to GP registration !

IP Logged

DenGeo

Forum newbie

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Thank you cubetwo, however as I got my S1 5 years ago and being well below retirement age, and still am, mine stated that it was valid only for 1 year.  After which the NHS would not cover costs in Spain and I would have no access to NHS care in the UK.
Therefore I would have to arrange private health care.
I think it's all to do with age.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top