Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Ryanair - at it again (Read 7069 times)
Michael

Village Idiot

Ryanair - at it again
Jun 19th, 2017 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Having worked so hard to change the public's perception of them being the nasty airline Ryanair have reverted to type with a nickel & dime trick that is causing passenger irritation.  Now the free check-in is a mere 4 days before flight they are unnecessarily splitting parties up in order, presumably, to encourage you to pay for the advanced check-in in future.  They are also offering you the chance to amend your seat allocation... for a price... thus demonstrating that this is a ploy.

Cabin crew are getting it in the neck for this policy as witnessed by my brother who yesterday counted 35 spare seats on the aircraft.  The passengers affected simply 'voted with their feet' and arranged themselves in what they considered a more suitable order.  Inevitably there were the arguments and appeals which leads to a delay in an aircraft leaving its stand and getting on its way which in terms of any airline - not just the 'no frills' variants is the mortal sin to be avoided.  So... well done Ryanair.  Cross customers, delayed flights and all to a few quid more.

IP Logged

briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

Re: Ryanair - at it again
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Similar situation for me but shows how flawed the system is. Myself, wife and 14 yr old daughter, all in seperate rows but my 14 yr old ,who is booked as a 14 yr old not an adult, is in the exit row ( the airlines safety rules state that no under 16s can be in this row). I contacted them and asked if she could be moved to any of the 4 free seats around us and was told not for free but I could pay 18e. It will be interesting in a few days to see the reaction when I point it out to the cabin crew( after all seats are taken and the doors are closed) that their system has contravened the airlines own safety rules and can they do something about it NOW please.  Angry

IP Logged

susanita

¡Ole!

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 11:22am
Print Post  
I flew Ryanair last weekend.  There were lots of families on the plane that had been split up and as we boarded the plane the crew repeatedly told us that we had to go to our allocated seats and could not change seats with anyone. It was a ridiculous situation as many people were willing to swap seats. I don't use Ryanair if I can help it but many times there is no other option available.  Sad

IP Logged

DenGeo

Forum newbie

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 11:46am
Print Post  
All seats get there at the same time, the only bug bear is for the recovery teams when the plane crashes and burns everyone beyond recognition. then the seated order on the manifest kicks in.
My family booked with Jet2 and had similar problems.  Also the hand baggage allowance went down in weight to 8 KG, (most bags weigh 1-2 KG empty) and the checked luggage weight went down too.
Everyone is at it these days of give as little as possible take as much as possible.

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Brian.  Evidently Ryanair's 'split 'em up on purpose' sub-routine has not been thought through.  I wondered if minors would be sat with at least one parent. 

I have seen this sort of thing with the safety seats before.  I'm going to guess that they will ask you or your good lady to swap with your daughter.  (They do tend to ask if occupants look under-age.) 

As a general request to forum users please keep us informed as to your findings regarding Ryanair splitting parties.  They may relent as summer progresses and the tourists come in their droves. 

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Flight from Liverpool to Reus on Sunday, and couples and families were split up.
There were about 7 spare seats on that flight?

IP Logged

briand6868

Here, wishing I was there

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
I was onto Ryanair to enquire about why my daughter was allocated an exit seat against safety rules and was answered with " you can change seats by following this link" - I said I know this, I won't be paying to move her, I just want to know why she was put there (16 e) in the first place. Again the monotone followed " you can....blah,blah". The 18.20 Dub - Reus this evening will be interesting.

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2017 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Brian.  Based on Susanita's experience and applying the rules as outlined by DanGeo should you enquire as to whether a swap would be possible as you board and be told 'no' then your daughter could stoically refuse to move when she later declares her age.  When they then relent shout 'Runaround... NOW' in your best Mike Reid accent.   Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKotW13Id0w

(I bet they don't see the funny side!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top