Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Xylella watch (Read 4159 times)
JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Xylella watch
Jul 27th, 2017 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Xylella fastidiosa has finally landed on the Spanish mainland, with the detection a few weeks ago of the first case in Valencia. Apparently some 12 almond trees were tested as positive, and yesterday, they reported another 'focus' about 1 km from the original site.

Current wisdom dictates that all potentially affected trees and bushes within 100m on the focus are destroyed - burnt or chipped, and 150m radius is sprayed with insecticide to stop the spread of the hopper that seems to pass on the bacterium.

As the list of plants affected is quite long - olives - all citrics and stone fruit, and grapes amongst a list of 300+ possibles - then an outbreak could be damn serious for the local economy.

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Re: Xylella watch
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Let's hope the powers that be do more about this than they have with the red devil that is working its way through all the palm trees.

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Quick update - they have found Xylella in several other places near to the original outbreak - all affecting almond trees.
This sub-species - pauca - is the one that also affects olives so not good news.

I have attached two images of olive branches that have succumbed to the disease - it enters the tree via the leaves and travels down the branches until the whole tree dies off.
I have seen plenty of trees in the local area showing these signs. I am not a doom and gloom merchant - I am already making plans ...

One of the interesting aspects of the disease in Italy was that the farmers did not want to notify the authorities of any new outbreak as they would have lost their crop and income. There are plans afoot to pay farmers whose trees have been destroyed, but until figures are set in stone, then the disease will go unreported, and thus be allowed to spread unchecked.

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 10:49am
Print Post  
"I have seen plenty of trees in the local area showing these signs."
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.  The symptoms shown on the leaves in your photo's could just as likely be caused by Verticilliam Wilt which which is quite common and not necessarily fatal if treated.  I've had this in the orchard I planted in 2008.  It's a soil born fungal disease which blocks the xylem which carries water and nutrients up from the roots to the rest of the plant (not just in olives).  If you cut through a branch just below the affected area, you'll usually see brown staining.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top