Wisteria (Read 4641 times)
Paula
Ex Member

Wisteria
Sep 15th, 2017 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Hi
I know wisteria isn't a fruit or veg😀
Will it & honeysuckle survive in Spain? I have a couple of spare plants in England & thought they'd be nice at our Spanish house,  but don't want to kill them office they won't survive😀

IP Logged

Betty_Swollox

Old git

Re: Wisteria
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Hi Paula,

They are very happy living in this climate. Just keep them watered and they will survive just fine.

Cheers,
Simon

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Honeysuckle is surprisingly hardy.  Once established it seems to survive without too much attention.  If you want to see how well wisteria does take a look at the massive one growing over the old abandoned roadside house just north of the lights on the C12 at Jesus.

IP Logged

Paula
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Awesome, thanks guys Smiley

IP Logged

Bricon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Hi Paula
Wisteria does not do well here. "here" being around Tortosa and the coast.Too dry and too hot. Look in gardens around you to see who else has it. Not many I suspect.
Honeysuckle? There are several so if you want the right one better to use the Latin name -  Lonicera.
L.implexa and L.etrusca are native to Southern Europe.  L.pyrenaica is self explanatory and so won't be too happy here. I have L. Japonica making a hedge in my garden but it wants watering once a month in summer.
Most plants that grow well in GB will not be very happy here. Not worth the bother of bringing and if well established there, not a great chance of them surviving at all.
Happy digging
Bricon

IP Logged

Bricon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Hi Paula
I've just seen the previous replies to your question.
Of course there are exceptions to all rules and the Wisteria in Jesus, (which I have not seen) seems to be one. How many others are there? And it is probably drinking from a leak in the canal.
Against a botanist's advice I tried it, planted in the shade and watered. Waste of time and money.
If Simon is talking about L.Etrusca or L.implexa he is probably quite right but there should be no need to water except if they look unhappy in the middle of summer. No point in letting them die just for bucket of water.They are native to the Mediterranean and nobody waters them where they grow in the hills.
Bricon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top