Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Indian Restaurant (Read 14168 times)
Nobrot the Great
Ex Member

Indian Restaurant
Jan 21st, 2008 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
The Sultan in Remolins,up one of the streets opposite the Mattadero and turn right....
7/10,about 15 euros per head,free nans and sweet (pudding for us northerners) and open on sundays.The ambiance was lost slightly in the 'dance music' and lack of furry wallpaper but over compensated by friendly staff who kept apologising for the previous owners attempt.Well worth a night out.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2008 at 8:26pm by Nigel »  

IP Logged

old nelson

The man in black

Re: Indian Restaurant
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Rotnob,
          you forgot the fruit juice freebie as well. I went back and had another bite of the apple, and asked for it to be hotter,it was, and was very good,marks, now 8 out of 10. I agree with you,well worth the trip.
The guy who runs it speaks good English and informs me that they are installing better decor and changing the lighting, the jury is out!
                                                                            Old Nelson.

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2008 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Went to the Sultan restaurant today with family visitors.
Plus points:
Good food, friendly staff, clean loo, although there is only one for both ladies and gents.
Waiter speaks English, not too expensive, 15 euros each including a couple of beers.

Minus points:
Decor a bit too bright, chairs very basic and a bit uncomfortable after a while, "Bollywood" dance music on all the time.

But if you miss Indian food, well worth a visit.
Calle Santa Anna 29
Remolins
Tortosa
638 271 693

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
We have had nothing but fantastic reports about the Sultan, including the decor.  Apparently this used to be candy floss pink and white stripes, and is now a rich mango colour so I am told.  Still we have to have something to gripe about, don't we ?
Looking to visit the said establishment shortly.
Roger, you Avatar looks like Wicked Willie.

IP Logged

Debs
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Are we talking authentic Indian restaurant?
Or Spanish style, Indian restaurant?
By the way. Do they do take away? Tongue

IP Logged

old nelson

The man in black

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
The Ruby serves good meals but its not as hot as in UK , if you tell them to make it more spicier and hotter they will, and it's good.
They also do take aways but you have to wait a bit.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Hi to all forum members,
Its my first post so here goes.Had a good meal last week at the reopened Indian,food was excellent.However be careful if you order wine.No prices for this on menu.If you do not ask for a price before ordering you may get a surprise when the bill comes!  Sad
ebrorob

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2008 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Went to the Indian at the weekend, very pleased with the meal.  In the UK we live very near one of the best Indian restuarant's in the south so we are very spoilt but were very surprised at the standard on the Indian in Tortosa.  The service was very good and they were extremely helpful.  We did have wine with our meal and price was fine.
Looking forward to the next one when we are next over.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Unfortunately menu prices are going up, food portions going down, ahh well it was great while they were trying to make an impression!

There is no free entree of sunny delight anymore, no free pudding! I think that only lasted the week they opened or until the two puddings had run out, My starter was cremated and the main of chicken Handi, was just like it said on the tin, very handi indeed 5 pieces of chicken in curry gravy not a hint of green chillies cardamoms, coriander or tomatoes   I will just have to go to this website to find out how to cook the dishes myself www.khanapakana.com, you can find all the dishes on the menu, next call will be to the spice shop in the old quarter of Tortosa, I making my own from now on

IP Logged

flintstones
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 8:40am
Print Post  
We too went to the Sultan the other night and thoroughly enjoyed our meal.  Granted the portions seemed a smidge less than last time but I for one was full at the end of the meal, and the onion barjis are the best we've had anywhere.
For around 16 euros a head including (lots of..!!) wine, beer and water, its still a bargain.
We've had some great nights out there and its great having an Indian restaurant in the town.
Seems its ok to advertise your own establishment as long as you dont make the mistake of putting you REAL name at the bottom of the page.!!
Good food, good company...thoroughly enjoyed it.

Liz

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Smaller portions all round appear to be the only way restaurants can maintain their prices in the current climate.
Hazelnut,did you have the "menu del dia" in the Sultan?,when i was last there it seemed that the only choice for that type of meal was chicken curry? so we all ordered from the full menu.Anybody had the menu del dia? would like to hear comments on it.
Rob  Tongue

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2008 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I've been asked to tone it down by her indoors, and stop being a grumpy old man, but sorry, when you go to an authentic Pakistani restaurant, and you could cook a better meal yourself, I object!!

I agree the company was perfect, but the food could have been better, GOM stu

IP Logged

sujay
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 6:13pm
Print Post  

The Sultan now closes on Mondays and only opens on evenings Tues - Sun .We had 2 starters ,2 nan ,rice 2 main course wine and coffee for €28-50
I agree the main course is a bit smaller and the seafood has kept up with market prices but if you are a bit of a J  Prescott at these prices you can order double. the food was very good and I personally have no complaints.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Went again last week, my chicken tikka jalfrezzi was OK, but one of our party had a Chicken Korma, it tasted like they had made it with carnation milk or added 3 tablespoons full of sugar, not authentic i think, so be careful if you order the Korma its not only mild but you could serve it as a pudding its that sweet.

Sorry but thats what it tasted like

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2008 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Mr Grumpy,
It is not good, to be just seemed to be, complaining on the forum and being a "wingging Pom" speak to the horses mouth. They will welcome your feedback and positive suggestions, but they have feelings too!

Ask to speak to Mr. Hussain (and you can say I suggested you talk to him direct) and voice your feelings. 

He is not a "backstreet cook". He is a professional chef and has worked in top restaurants in Manchester and Munich. He is always willing to adjust the seasonings according to individual tastes, but he is not a mind reader.

If you have had a previous meal and it was too sweet or to hot, merely ask to discuss it with "Ali" if Mr. Hussain is busy. Yet, he has always found time to come out and discuss with us our culinary preferences.

Lets work together on this. WE all love our Indian food and Take-Aways . Brits, Europeans and those of us from just north of the penguins groaned when the original one shut down.Need I remind you that their food was definitely below par.

Not only have the new owners changed the colour scheme and lighting(thank god) but they are fluent in several languages amongst themselves. Besides the menu is a big improvement. If you don't like the choice of music they will change it from Aisian to international.

So speak up Mr. Gumpy to be sure to be heard above the herd!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top