Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Legal property ? (Read 2512 times)
calum
Ex Member

Legal property ?
Feb 7th, 2007 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Hi , at what stage can you find out if a dwelling is legal or not, ? I don't even want to view a property if its got any vagueness about its legal dwelling status, is this too much to ask of local estate agents , are they likley to just nodd and say what I want to hear ? or can I do anything at an early stage [ ie first viewing ] , I really don't want to fall in love with something only months down the line to find out its not legal , regards in advance [ sure Jools can offer some advice on this one ]

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Re: Legal property ?
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Hi Callum,

I assume you mean a legal building registered in Catalunya?

The most sure fired way is to get a Lawyer on the case. I am amazed that we almost always have to use a solicitor to purchase property in the UK, but most of us choose to "save" money when buying here, and then hit problems.

You can also go to the local Ajuntament where a finca is situated and ask, but you also then need the polygon and parcela numbers of the finca, which most agents are reluctant to reveal.

If you have the parcela details you can also enquire at the Registro Catestral, but of course for these options, it's very unlikely that anyone speaks enough English, if any, to be able to understand your questions, so you really have to do your homework.

If a finca already has a "house" on it, and it's registered, this is still not a guarantee that you would obtain permission to reform it.

Hope this helps.

Jools

IP Logged

calum
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 11:11am
Print Post  
cheers jools, I'm deffo using a solicitor but was hoping at an earlier stage ie before even viewing I could discount properties that weren't legal... we're looking at habitable properties rather than reforms as well [ if that makes a diffeence], regards  calum

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Hi Callum,
The only place where you are virtually guaranteed that a building is legal, is in a village, or registered urbanisation (housing estate to us)

I know of numerous fincas, which now have beautiful houses on them, but all built illegally. The authorities photographed and measured them some months ago, but haven't yet made a verdict on the outcome. Many of these owners now have them up for sale, so if you actually purchase one, then you also inherit the end result from the Ajuntament, whether it is a large fine to make it legal, or to pull it down, at your own expense.

Be careful Callum, get your Lawyer onto it.

Jools

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top