Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 New Restaurant in Alfara de Carles (Read 27714 times)
Tony
Ex Member

New Restaurant in Alfara de Carles
Jun 27th, 2007 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Can thoroughly recommend the new restaurant, Ca la Pili, which has opened in Alfara de Carles.  On the left as you enter the town.

Went with friends from Hong Kong last week and they were really taken with it.  Just went in and said that we wanted to eat.  There was a menu, but we took what they offered of tomato bread, ham and cheese for starters, selection of barbecued meats, chips and courgettes to follow, usual ice cream or fresh fruit for desert, all washed down with 2 jugs of house red and finished off with coffees all round.  There were 6 of us and the bill came to around 65 euros, so approximately 11e per head.  Very friendly staff.

Some of our guests have also been and were equally impressed.

Tony

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2008 at 10:38am by Nigel »  

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Re: n Alfara deNew Restaurant in Alfara
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2008 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
You posted that in June 2007 so I want to raise their profile again.  Found it (without your guidance) by chance; Snra Pila smiles.   Yes, that's right.  She has a S M I L E !!!!!  And she wants your business; she speaks good Castellano and, hey,   SMILES!!  4 of us had a good fun menu del dia, saw it being cooked through the glass plate window into the kitchen and could have stayed all day.  50 euros inc coffees and tip.  BEAZER.  Go there with confidence, people like this deserve a wider audience.  Enjoy.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Re: n Alfara deNew Restaurant in Alfara
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2008 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
So glad that you enjoyed it.  Pili is an absolute treasure and loves to ensure that you are enjoying every minute of the experience.  She prepares the food with the help of her two sons, and her husband, Manolo helps out in the evenings after a days work in a factory on the Delta.
They really deserve to build up a good clientele with all their dedication to making the business a success.
We always recommend to our guests that they try a meal there if they want to experience a true Catalan restaurant, although it can in the evening be a case of what she has in the larder.  But hey, who cares - it is dining in true Catalan rural style.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Re: New Restaurant in Alfara de Carles
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2008 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I can agree with all previous comments here. Always great food with a restaurant hostess who wants your trade for a change!. Very clean/fresh dining area. Have taken a very large group there recently (including three folks in their 80's) & pili took it all in her stride. If you are ever down Alfara way give it a try. I believe you may also get an opportunity in season to buy oranges on your way through the Tosca valley.  Wink

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2008 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Our next trip to that area is to go all the way to Tosca.  Is there an eatery there you can recommend?  Understand one can buy fresh trout from the hatchery if there's someone on 'duty' (it's not a shop as such),  anyone done this and can report?

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2008 at 8:59am
Print Post  
All the way to Tosca - you make it sound like it is on the other side of Spain, in fact it is only a few k from the turn off on the Alfara road.  There are 2 restaurants - one is a bull farm on the right, not far from the turn off.  The other is just before you actually arrive at Tosca and is on the left.  Have not been to either I am afraid to say, and I believe that they both are only open at the weekend which is when people tend to visit Tosca.  I understand that the one at Tosca is run by an elderly lady, and it tends to be a case of what she might have in the larder.  I have also heard that she is looking for a buyer so it may not be open at all now.  If you go, please give us an update on what either is like.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
We have just been up to Pili's for our Sunday lunch, and I think that I have just had the best meal that I have ever had in Spain.  The starter was beautifully presented, and the paella was definitely the best that I have ever had.  The cost for 4 starters (pan de tomate, queso and selection of chorizos, ham etc. followed by 4 paella, 2 desserts, 4 coffees with liqueurs and 2 carafes of house wine was 63e.  Amazing !!
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2008 at 10:18pm by »  

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Do you have any idea of the opening times and days? 

Debbie

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Hi
Just had to modify my own post - the typos were dreadful.  Just shows how much I enjoyed my lunch.
Anyway, sorry I don't know days and opening times - but I have yet to find them closed.  It is a family run business and Pili takes great delight in ensuring that everyone has an enjoyable experience, so tends to be there as long as the customers want to be there.

IP Logged

Debbie
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info, would really like to try a more local restaurant.  We tend to go further afield.  Has anyone tried the 'Calau' in Els Reguers? 

Debbie

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Debbie
We have eaten at the Calau. Quality of food is very good. They are now listed in the 2008 Michelin guide.  Sundays are now always fully booked so you would have to book a table in advance. Opening times and days as follows (for restaurant): normally from 1 - 3 pm and 8.30 pm to late, every day except Tuesday and Wednesday (although open on a Tuesday for lunch period).  Prices are on the high side compared to the Alfara restaurant.
ebrorob

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:56am
Print Post  
We ate at Calau in Els Reguers on Satruday night as we could not get a table for Sunday lunch, and whilst we ate well the meal cost us twice as much as we paid for Sunday lunch in Alfara .  Overall opinion from the family was that we preferred Ca la Pili - the service was friendlier, the food was excellent and there was so much that none us had anything further to eat on Sunday.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Hi Tony
Have you got shares in Ca la Pili?  Wink

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Hi Rob
No, I've not got shares, but she certainly seems to pull out the stops whenever I go in.
Must be my sparkling personality !!

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Tony, Ebrorob and Debbie,

Do any of the restaurants you mention do vegetarian meals? Can you get a non-seafood paella  in Alfaras?

Thanks
Rosie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top