Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 New Restaurant in Alfara de Carles (Read 27716 times)
Tony
Ex Member

Re: New Restaurant in Alfara de Carles
Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Rosey
You are living in Spain.
Vegetarian meals in the outlaying villages - you must be joking !!
Tony
  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Hey Tony,

I eat everything and anything. I was brought up strictly that you never left your parents table without clearing your plate. At boarding school you cleared your plate or felt the wroth of more detentions piled on. The latter would not accept my allergy to all types of lactose, goats included!

It´s those fussy tourists from across the borders!

It does make me laugh when The Frenchies say that one of the reasons they come to Spain each year is because they can get such wonderful seafood. Three days later they ring up and ask where can they dine out on paella without seafood.

I find more and more Belgium and Dutch folk enquire about Vegetarian Eateries.

Bring on the Germans! They love their pork and sausages.
I rest my case.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Hi Rosey
Of course, I understand what you are saying, but it is bad enough trying to find a vegetarian dish on the menu in the tourist places let alone the rural villages.  We have a vegetarian friend and having asked in a restaurant in L'Ampolla whether a dish contained fish or meat or not (the menu tended to indicate that it did not) we were assured that it didn't.  When it turned up our friend took one bite and refused any more.  Hidden inside the dish were anchovies !!  They just don't understand at present the concept of vegetarianism - and probably don't want to.  Neither do they understand the concept of not charging for a dish that isn't eaten because they have incorrectly described it.  Is there a TDA in Spain ?

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Had lunch in Pili's today and were very impressed with the quality of the food and the service. We were the only people eating there but I have to say it was excellent, although a bit more expensive thatn we were led to believe from reports on here. Three of us ate for about €85.  This was mainly due to the 'boys' eating corder at €16 a head.  Very delish but quite expensive.  We will definitely be going back and will take friends with us.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal in Pili's, Pondgirl, and yes, her prices have gone up recently.
Called in for a beer with my friend at lunchtime so it must have been you we saw in there dining.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Well spotted  Grin  Presume you live nearby, if so you've got a lovely 'local'.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Yes, we live roughly halfway between Els Reguers and Alfara on the main road.
You would have passed our finca with the sign outside advertising oranges for sale (3E for 7k).
I and my friend are often in Pili's on a Friday night for a drink trying to improve our Spanish.  They are a lovely welcoming family but I think feeling the crunch a little at the moment as they are not very busy at this time of the year.

IP Logged

susanita

¡Ole!

Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Hi Tony.  We went to Pili's today after reading your write up.  Excellent value and what a lovely lady Pili is. She wanted to know how we found it and I mentioned your name and the Tortosa Forum and a huge smile appeared.  She obviously thinks a lot of you!!!!  Anyway, all in all it was well worth the trip. Just a shame that the weather wasn't too good, very humid and cloudy so we couldn't admire the beautiful scenery.  We'll definitely return on a better day. 

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Thank you Susanita.  I am so pleased that you enjoyed your meal at Pili's.  She really is a very nice lady although like any one else she does have her off days !!  Pity you did not let us know that you were coming this wy as we would have been more than delighted to meet up.
Tony

IP Logged

susanita

¡Ole!

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2011 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Thanks for that Tony.  We will probably go back to Alfara de Carles again as we were disappointed with the weather this time. Will let you know Smiley

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Just taken our friends up to Pili's for menu del dia before they fly back to the UK later today.
The meal was even better than we have had in the past.
Starter - salad made with fresh produce from Pili's father's garden, served with a glass of gaspacho.
2nd course - fideua
3rd course - kebabs served with grilled pepper and aubergine and (wonder of wonders no french fried) baked potatoes topped with cheese
Dessert - flan de turron and creme catalana
Drinks - 2 fanta limon, 1 fanta naranja and 1 shampu
1 cafe con leche.
Only 3 ate and the bill ?  34€
Pili was as charming and welcoming as ever.
Our friend's comment 'Best meal out we have had over here'.

And !! the whole place is sparklingly clean.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Good to hear that Pili is back on form again.The prices sound good as well.   Smiley

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Is this right in the village itself, please.
Any idea of the day when it's closed?

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Braseria Ca la Pili is on the left on the main road after passing the town sign and before going up the hill into the village.
Unaware of any day that they are closed apart from Christmas Day.  When Pili is not there (very infrequent) then her son Patrick who trained at the catering college in Cambrils is on duty.

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Sep 26th, 2012 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Just an update on Can Pili,popped in on Monday & asked Pili for "Menu Del Dia",but she said she had no food prepared because it was always very slow customer wise after weekends.Still, had a pleasant chat with a few locals who were in the Bar & a couple of refreshing Canyas.
Best,i feel, if you wanted to eat their, to ring ahead as on the odd occasion i have also found it closed lunchtime.   Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top