Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
high school (Read 3111 times)
calyamy
Ex Member

high school
Jul 31st, 2007 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Hi all
looking for info about sending my son to spanish state school he will be 12 when we move over, been trying to find info on net but some sites are saying children stay in primary until they are 14 yrs then go to secondary from 14 - 18 yrs is this correct. And does anyone know what school he will go to we will be living in the l'ametlla de mar area.

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Re: high school
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Hi Calyamy,

Don't know anything about the school system but I know there is a highschool in Amettla "IES Mare de Déu de la Candelera" (I did see a lot of foreign-looking kids there the last time). They have a (Catalan) website:

http://www.xtec.es/iescandelera/

(I think the kids go there when they are 12 years old, if I understand the info given by the "cursos" section)

Good luck,
Mark

IP Logged

calyamy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that Mark that site is in spanish so will need to get hubby to check it out. Our friends in Spain dont have kids and thought the nearest school was in Tortosa but as i was looking through the L'ametlla de mar council site under services it said nursery, primary, and secondary school and thats what got me wondering if anyone had any info.

IP Logged

jools
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The important thing you need to remember is that for children in school the first language is Catalan, ALWAYS!
Spanish is OK for us adults, but the kids have to learn 2 new languages.
I dont know if it will be the same in Tres Calas, but in Terra Alta, another comarca (county) of Catalunya, children of this age are not allowed to progress to secondary school until they have a pretty good "handle" on Catalan, they do intensive courses during school hours and also after school, to bring them up to scratch and fully prepared for secondary school.

You also need to register your child before the forth coming term, or you sometimes have to wait until the next one, which can be another 4 months.

Also make sure that you have a fully documented record of all health issues including vacinations, they are very strict on this.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

calyamy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
thanx for that Jools broke the news to him gently the other day when you mentioned staying on at primary school, after a few moans he came round. This is his last year of primary here in Scotland and he is doing really well, in primary 6 he went onto a level equivalent to secondery education so fingers crossed learning a new language wont hold him back too much
We will be back in spain in september and october so will need to make some more enquires when we're over.  Smiley

IP Logged

snowhite
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi all
looking for info about sending my son to spanish state school he will be 12 when we move over, been trying to find info on net but some sites are saying children stay in primary until they are 14 yrs then go to secondary from 14 - 18 yrs is this correct. And does anyone know what school he will go to we will be living in the l'ametlla de mar area.

Hi,

Tres Cales is part of l'Ametlla de Mar. Here´s the website with a list of useful numbers including the schools:
http://www.ametllademar.org/en/pp_serveis.htm

Regards,

Snowhite

IP Logged

calyamy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
thanx for that snowhite a think the schools will be closed just now but i think we have until early 2008 to register him for starting september 2008 but we will need to check when we are over in 6 weeks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top