Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
olives; discolouring leaves.  Wotizit? (Read 3834 times)
ColinB
Ex Member

olives; discolouring leaves.  Wotizit?
Mar 20th, 2010 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
We have one tree in which the leaves started to discolour from the tips and it is now very sorry for itself with defoliation.  Noticed today a second one with ditto in some of its adjacent branches.  Anyone any ideas why/what/how to treat?

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Re: olives; discolouring leaves.  Wotizit?
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Are they newly planted trees or established ones ?   One of the causes could be a root fungus called Verticillium Wilt.  There was a lot of it about last year and it killed about thirty of my ninety two newly planted trees.  The symptoms are discolouring leaves which then crisp and drop off.  The branches then start to turn brown.  This is caused by the tree trying to defend itself against the attack by sealing off the water bearing tissues so dieback is from the top down.  You can read about it here.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=255
There is no know chemical control but although the article suggests uprooting and dicarding the plant, I've had some success with removing the dead branches below the brown bit i.e. cut through the green bit below.  Do follow the hygiene instructions though and use sharp secateurs and disinfect them between cuts with alcohol (from the farmacia) or even vodka (probably cheaper.)  I'm no expert, just passing on my experience.  You might be as well asking advice at you local co-operative.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Many tks for that - unhappily the second tree to be infected is as old as the first and right outside our kitchn door; it couldn't be worse.  Perhaps I need to check to see if it'smore widespread but to answer your question, these trees are very old.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Have you tried urinating on the roots thats a good fungiside

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 11:40am
Print Post  
It would have to be a very big wee as the roots can go down over 15 metres.
Olive trees do lose their leaves during the year, so are you sure its not just natural shedding?

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
I agree that you'd need the output of a cowshed to produce enough pee (assuming Hazlenut knows what he's talking about and as far as I know the jury's out on that Smiley  I would also doubt that the average olive root goes down 15 metres.  More like one metre.  Olives are evergreens and I've never seen them shed their leaves. 
Anyway Colin, you say the trees are close to the house.  Have you done any building work lately.  I was wondering if cement etc. could have washed into the soil.  Do you prune and water them at all ?
Like I said, I'm not an expert.  Probably best to get a local guy to look at them.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top