Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Mole Alert! ( skin health) (Read 26464 times)
viking
Ex Member

Mole Alert! ( skin health)
May 2nd, 2010 at 10:54pm
Print Post  

No, not the ones under the ground, the ones on your skin!!
Having just had one cut from my leg, not as simple as you might think! I would like to draw your attention to this subject.

If you notice that a mole has grown, changed shape, is irregular, more than one shade of colour, has 'ragged' edges or is not symetrical, itches or bleeds you should seek prompt attention from your GP and get it checked out.

Be sun aware and never let your skin burn. Always protect your children from the sun as sun damage ( particularly burning ) in childhood is a strong risk factor in terms of developing skin cancer in later years. Unfortunately skin cancer is increasing in the population yet it is largely preventable and looking after your skin and keeping an eye on your moles will go a long way to avoid it.

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Re: Mole Alert! ( skin health)
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Well, I just got the results of my mole lab tests back and thankfully it was benign. However the new scanner they are now using indicated that another one should be removed, this time on the sole of my foot!

Keep using your high factor sun-cream, apply it often and avoid the midday sun if at all possible, wear a hat and sunglasses to protect your eyes. If you can't see your moles get someone else to check them and go to your GP if you notice anything suspicious. Protect your kids skin and eyes in the same way. Damage done today can be the skin cancer of tomorrow and none of us want that.
Don't be worried about wasting GP time, that is what they are there for. All advice from the consultant I saw.

She also said 'enjoy life but just be sensible'!!
Smiley
Women tend to get the problematic type moles on their legs and men on their backs and later in life heads.

Any questions please contact me.

IP Logged

Stuandeve
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Got one on my leg. Having a biopsy done on it on the 16th. Does it hurt?? Not looking forward to it at all.

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 9:41am
Print Post  
It is nothing. First its sprayed with something to freeze it then its simply scraped or removed, depending on the size. Dont worry about it Smiley
I had 2 removed from my arm, it took less the 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2011 at 11:31am by cactus jack »  

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Stuandeve
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Thank you. Thats taken away a lot of worry.

IP Logged

almendra
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Cactus. Well I'm glad it was 'nothing' for you but for me it was rather more then that.
The mole on my leg was surgically removed in an operating theatre. First I was injected with local anasthetic then I has a one inch incision which removed a portion of tissue either side of the mole and beneath the mole. I was given about 7 stitches. Because the shin of the leg has tight skin I could not walk on it for a week. It took another week to get back to normal. The mole was checked and was non cancerous. The one on the sole of my foot was even more difficult and I couldn't walk at all for 3 days and 2 week to get back to normal! It was also non cancerous.
I appreciate that treatments differ and it is diffferent for everyone but for me it was quite a difficult time as I couldn't work for a few weeks, couldn't drive and it was hard to llok after the kids! Thankfully they were non cancerous. If they had been I would have had to endure more tissue being removed! Whatever the case at least I have peace of mind and I certainly wouldn't put off treatment.

IP Logged

Stuandeve
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Whee did you both have it done?

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

we would both be wrong

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 9:20am
Print Post  
My doctors surgery in uk

IP Logged

almendra
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Frenchay Hospital Bristol, on the NHS and via consultant dermatologist! The thing is experiences will vary depending on the mole type etc. Because mine were flat moles they could not be reomoved for biopsy. They said they could do a 'puncture' biopsy but that would only remove a tiny sample for examination and could miss any pre-cancerous or cancerous tissue so thay advised complete removal of the area. They have healed well and even though it was quite difficult at the time I'm glad I did it as it is peace of mind. The operations themselves were very quick and I felt no pain. Afterwards I only had to take a few paracetamol, I was surprised at how little pain I felt, it was just a feeling that the skin was very stretched and I had to keep imobile for a while to avoid any stitches coming loose. The scars are not too bad either. You are obviously suitable for a biopsy and hopefully that will show up as benign and they will just have to keep an eye on you. My leg mole was very large, mishapen and different shades but it was still normal! Try not too worry and see what they say after the biopsy. I'm sure as Cactus says it will be painless if the area is frozen.

IP Logged

Tarayoles
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:25am
Print Post  
I had a lump-not a mole, removed from my leg which was benign. It was done at CAP in Tortosa. There was very little discomfort even though they took a lot of tissue. Can't fault the way I was looked after. All other posts seem to have had treatment in UK, thought I'd put in a good word for local doctors.

IP Logged

santsalvador
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Hi. I had a mole removed last week at Mora hospital, two stitches, never felt a thing, five minuets, have stitches out on Monday.
Terry.

IP Logged

almendra
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Hi stuandeve,

Sorry if one of my posts was a bit graphic or tactless as cactus tactfully  pointed out on his PM that he sent me!
It wasn't my intention to alarm you but I was just pointing out that from my own experience is was  abit more than a 'pin-prick'. Maybe this forum is just not the best place to get this sort of information as someone has pointed out re. the cramp issue. ie. you can get information from NHS direct. It is a different experience for eveyone but I do wish you all the best and I will always flag up the importance of getting moles checked out and seeking medical guidance if you are unsure of any mole. Even if I am called tactless! Maybe just not on this forum though!

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

we would both be wrong

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi stuandeve,

Sorry if one of my posts was a bit graphic or tactless as cactus tactfully  pointed out on his PM that he sent me!
It wasn't my intention to alarm you but I was just pointing out that from my own experience is was  abit more than a 'pin-prick'. Maybe this forum is just not the best place to get this sort of information as someone has pointed out re. the cramp issue. ie. you can get information from NHS direct. It is a different experience for eveyone but I do wish you all the best and I will always flag up the importance of getting moles checked out and seeking medical guidance if you are unsure of any mole. Even if I am called tactless! Maybe just not on this forum though!

Smiley

IP Logged

Stuandeve
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2011 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Hi Almendra,
I found all the post very informative. Not much piont in me looking it up on the NHS website, as I am having the biopsy done at Cap in Tortosa. I was wondering if anyone else had had it done there.
But thanks for all the advise and info.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top