Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Damproofing- anyone ever tried silicon cream inje? (Read 6106 times)
Jan_Steve
Ex Member

Damproofing- anyone ever tried silicon cream inje?
May 11th, 2010 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Hi all, Has anyone ever tried the silicon cream injection damproofing? and does it work ? We have a problem with a bit of damp in our village house coming through the back wall , the property is old built of stone an all the usual anything that was to hand at the time in the 19th century.
I have thought of trying the silicon cream up the vertical walls that join to the rear wall to try and stop the moisture conducting through.
Any thoughts and experiances appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Re: Damproofing- anyone ever tried silicon cream inje?
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2010 at 9:37am
Print Post  
We have an old cisterna in the middle of the Casa which now has no water in it! and its about 12 ft from our external walls, all floors which were dirt floors have been tanked with Visqueen 2 inches of polystyrene block insulation and 2 inches of concrete floor on top then tiled there is a 10ft of concrete walkway all round the building and still the walls above the old cisterna get damp, you are on a loser I'm afraid short of injecting every piece of rock with silicon at floor level!!

IP Logged

Jan_Steve
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2010 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Hi Hazelnut, thanks for your reply. well the idea is to drill every 120mm and inject, from the info I have read about the silicon cream it's suposed to "The emulsified cream migrates rapidly into
pores in the masonry to control capillary
action and stop rising damp" so they say, just wonedered if anyone has tried it with any success, the problem we have is around a rear stairwell the lower part of the stairwell seems to draw moisture from the rear wall of the property, the property behind is higher up the hill so the lower floor of ours draws damp from the rock an stuff it's built on.
Thanks

Steve

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2010 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
If the building is of modern materials ie blocks or bricks then OK try injecting silicone (watch out for the boob area though)

Unfortunately if its and old building the walls are likely to be made of local rocks and mud and the silicone will probably not penetrate volcanic rock

IP Logged

Jan_Steve
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2010 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Hazelnut,
Yep it's old an rocks mud etc, think ive come to the conclusion that the best thing may be to ventilate the area well and see how that affects the problem.
Thanks

Steve

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2010 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Is it an old village house? As you will know most locals don't actually live on the ground floor and it acts as a natural damp proof course ie. the damp doesn't rise to the first floor.
If the moisture is coming from the floor then you could dig out any mud and loose stone until you reach the beadrock, cover with a waterproof membrane and then poor cement over and tile the area. This made our basement floor very dry but the walls are still moist at times. This would be very time consuming but what you could do is dig out all the old grout ( likely to be mud ) as far into the wall as you can ie, about half way across each stone. Then wet the area and fill in around every stone ( point ) with monocapa. This can be purchased at any buliding merchants. Make it up according to the recommendations. It will set hard and prevent water penetrating. You can either leave the stone bare or plaster over it when you are sure there is no water penetration.

You could also try a de-humidifier if the problem is not extreme, you would probably need to keep it running permanently from Autumn to Spring.
I don't know if any of this is useful but contact me if you need any more info. on renovating an old townhouse as I have experience of this and have spent many happy days digging out basements and digging soil from around rocks!
PS. monocapa pointing also adds great strength to your walls, great if the house next door is abandoned and falling down!! Don't listen to any builders who say slap on some mesh and cement, it will just absorb the moisture!!

IP Logged

Jan_Steve
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2010 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Viking, Thanks for the info, not heard of monocapa will have a look into that , Yes is is an old vilage house 1856 above the door but I think that could have been a later adition. The house is built on a hillside with the parralell street at the rear and the house that ours backs onto is therefore higher  making me think that our ground floor is backing onto the hilside, we also have cellars that have been part filled in I rekon when the last modernisation was done in the late 70's, the main problem with the damp is the stairwell which is at the rear centre seems to conduct the moisture through to the first floor. The dehumidifier may work as I believe thats what the locals tend to use, I was just trying to minimise the damp as much as possible naturally. Having left the stairwell open for some time now even though it's been a long winter up here it does seem to be drying out. I have a cheap and cheerful moisture meter ( Ebay Chinese about a tenner) the reading originally where 40% but have come down to between 20-30% since getting airflow thro. We have also taken all the old plaster and waterproof wallpaper of the ground floor part of the stairwell which I think will help alot.
Thanks again sorry for the essay
Cheers
Steve

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2010 at 9:33am
Print Post  
No problem! I'm always interested to hear about renovations of old properties. Ours is of a similar age but is on two streets ( front and back ) which certainly aids ventilation.
The back to back houses are more prone to damp but with the right measures they should be dry.
20 to 30 % moisture level in the air still sounds high. You are right to take off any old plaster as just traps moisture. If you are backing onto a hill then you may need to take measures to seal off any moisture. Forget silicone injection, it won't work, particularly as the stones will be water logged.

Are you planning to do any work yourself? It's not difficult to do what I suggested, just time consuming, but it would be well worth the effort to keep your place dry.

I'll see if I can get any more info. on this and PM you if I do.

IP Logged

Jan_Steve
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 16th, 2010 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Hi Viking, Yes I have definatly arrived at the conclusion that ventilation is the best way to go. The moisture level meter is the type that is ment for timber and you poke the 2 probes into the material, Its not acurate but its useful just to get a referance point.
I thought the silicon cream may work as from what I understood it needed the moisture to actually migrate along and cure.
Yep will be doing the work myself , unless we win the lotto!
We are just going to leave the back wall plaster-less for the time being and see how it dries out, as the garage which is to the side of the staiwell and backs onto the wall has nothing on the bare stone and seems resonably dry.
Thanks again for the info.
Steve

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2010 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Let me know how you get on! If it is anything like our place the basement is dryish in the summer but once it rains you can actually see the moisture forming in tiny droplets!! The rest of the house is bone dry, mind you!!

IP Logged

Jan_Steve
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2010 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Hi Viking, yep will do, our celler is still dampish, actualy we didnt know we had one until I cleared a load of firwood under the groundfloor staircase and found it led down to a cellar, so there was no airflow at all and guess it had been quite a few years blocked up! Well it's a long term project so will keep you updated.
Cheers
Steve

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top