Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 owning a car in Spain (Read 9216 times)
philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

owning a car in Spain
Jul 17th, 2010 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Hi all whilst over last week I wondered how do you go about buying ,taxing ,regestering a car/van in Spain if you only have a parcel number Grin

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Re: owning a car in Spain
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 7:29am
Print Post  
I think you need an NIE Number to buy a car!!

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Thanks Hazel ,I have the NIE certificate, but what about address etc any ideas Cheesy

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 7:59am
Print Post  
I think you also need an empadremente to say that you live in a village

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Are you saying non residents cannot own a vehicle ?
If so, how very typical of Catalan.

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Probably...

Also, the Police are getting a bit shirty about foreign registered cars, one friend has had his towed by Policia Local and not returned as "It has been in Catalunya for over a month, so must be re registered"

Yes folks, never mind European Law, if asked, tell them you come and go all the time, this person had receipts for a trip home and its MOTing [equivalent] from just a couple of months ago.

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
We do not have residencia documents,live on a finca with only parcel poligon address and an empadron with that address and own 2 spanish vehicles. As an eu citizen residencia is not neccesary. We both have nie's and I have a Spanish social security number and have worked here for a catalan construction company perfectly legally.
So you don't have to be resident to own a vehicle here.

Re the previous post what does mot "equivalent" mean? An unregistered(in Spain) vehicle requires a mot of it's country of registration to be legal. I am not surprised the local police are getting "shirty" I know of people who are driving uk vehicles that haven't had mot's or tax for five years. But they think it's ok as they have insurance. I am sure in the event of a serious accident the insurance company will refuse to pay out on the grounds the vehicle wasn't roadworthy etc but as long as they seem to be covered when they "get pulled" by the police then everything is fine!

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Are you saying non residents cannot own a vehicle ?
If so, how very typical of Catalan.

Having an NIE doesn't make you a "resident".

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
EU law clearly states that a vehicle can be used in another EU country for up to SIX MONTHS before it neads to be registed locally.
Why are the Catalooonians not complying with this law ?

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
We do not have residencia documents,live on a finca with only parcel poligon address and an empadron with that address and own 2 spanish vehicles. As an eu citizen residencia is not neccesary. We both have nie's and I have a Spanish social security number and have worked here for a catalan construction company perfectly legally.
So you don't have to be resident to own a vehicle here.

Re the previous post what does mot "equivalent" mean? An unregistered(in Spain) vehicle requires a mot of it's country of registration to be legal. I am not surprised the local police are getting "shirty" I know of people who are driving uk vehicles that haven't had mot's or tax for five years. But they think it's ok as they have insurance. I am sure in the event of a serious accident the insurance company will refuse to pay out on the grounds the vehicle wasn't roadworthy etc but as long as they seem to be covered when they "get pulled" by the police then everything is fine!

By "Equivalent" I mean from their country, this is not the UK, or Spain, I have deliberately not put any more details as I do not want to stir up further problems for him.

So, just to summarise, he has a perfectly legal EU reg. car from his homecountry, with all paperwork in order, the Police are trying to bully him into re registering it against EU law.

Is that perfectly clear now  ?

I also believe that you can get a Spanish ITV on your UK car and that this is legally accepted by Insurance Co's.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2010 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
You can get an I.T.V. on a British reg. car here, also pay for insurance, they are willing to take your money,  BUT,  if you are involved in an accident, you could find out that you are not covered.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Thanks all for the advise,I dont live in Spain, and if the great day comes, and  I can afford to retire!!!!!! would prob only stay for six months a year, so would need something cheaper than hire car, what about a quad ?are they as complicated to buy and be legal ? the farmer below me, has a little ASP sorry if spelt wrong, one of those 3 wheeled trucks, So he also must only have a parcel number ?
I new this was going to be a difficult subject ! Huh

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 9:04am
Print Post  
A quad a Scooter a Moto or a Trike all require registering, your neighbours 3 wheel truck is probably a Piaggio Ape, Quads are seriously stupid money in Spain about twice the price of buying a second hand one in the UK!! if you are trekking over on a regular basis till you retire you are probably better off driving here in your UK registered car as you probably wont't stay for more than 6 months at a time!!

IP Logged

fatphil
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:14am
Print Post  
With regard to 3 wheeled tractors and infact any engine propelled farm machinery it has to be registered to the Parcela.
You then have to pay a tax,which is included in the yearly rates bill and includes a form of road tax and insurance.
As we are all finding out slowly,NOTHING is free in Catalooonya,especially if you are English !

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
philmountains wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 at 7:23am:
Thanks all for the advise,I dont live in Spain, and if the great day comes, and  I can afford to retire!!!!!! would prob only stay for six months a year, so would need something cheaper than hire car, what about a quad ?are they as complicated to buy and be legal ? the farmer below me, has a little ASP sorry if spelt wrong, one of those 3 wheeled trucks, So he also must only have a parcel number ?
I new this was going to be a difficult subject ! Huh

If you want to see the cost of second hand Motos and Coches see http://www.segundamano.es/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top