Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 CISTERNA (Read 21717 times)
bruixot
Ex Member

Re: CISTERNA
Reply #15 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Well, that answers some ofmy questions. I will check the acidity of my water from my osmosis unit and get back on that one.
One of the reasons i chose the osmosis unit was for it's ability to remove minerals. The bottled water here is high in calcium and having suffered from kidney stones In the past I wanted to avoid suffering again.
As for wasted water all our grey waste including the osmosis waste goes into irrigating our citrus trees so no waste there.
I will point out that the question as to Pip having an interest in selling these units hasn't been answered. I appreciate that people advertisng on the forum are also members but declaring an interest would only be fair.

However I do concur that an osmosis unit would not be ideal for someone parttime here. I would also like to disagree with the suggested high maintenance needs of an osmosis unit. The filters don't  need changing that often and they can be bought a lot cheaper in the uk than here.
Bruixot.

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #16 - Aug 23rd, 2010 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Finally I found a good test report from a Dutch boat-magazine. They did three test rounds: one with clean water left for two weeks in tanks in the sun. To test water with lots of bacterias the second test-round they used water from the Amsterdam-canals (don't drink that unfiltered(!). The third test they did with clean water after two weeks not using the filters (to see if bacterias grow in the filters and contaminate the water). The test where done bij C-lab (an independent lab). They only tested on bacterias like legionella, e-coli and salmonella because there starting point was clean water (without pollutions like chemicals or metals).

The "seagull IV" (in Spain sold by purewater spain) was a poor performer, referenced as not to be trusted for cleaning up bacterias. They also tested another system from the same manufacterer: the "Nature Pure" wich was perfoming much better. It couldn't filter the water to the Dutch drinkingwater norm level but the result was pretty close. The best system was 2Bsure. This system uses electrolyse to convert the minerals in water to chloride(!). In the end they concluded the best thing you can do is use chlorine (ordinairy tablets, bleach or with an expensive electrolise-system) and combine this with a coal-filter to remove the chlorine again to get a better taste.

For the Dutch readers: http://www.brightspark.nl/uploads/brochures/zeilen_2bsure_nl.pdf

IP Logged

Pip
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Hi El Alto
I have looked at this web site Brightspark who have done this report and they are the manufactureres of this 2 be sure. It is a fairly new product and doesn't appear to have any certifications and under the 2 references they supply, it is very strange that they are identical and from different people!
It is also strange that they supposedly tested Seagull IV and the Nature Pure against their own 2 be sure product when both the Nature Pure and the Seagull systems are identical just different sizes both purifiying water down to 0.1micron.  The Seagull and NaturePure have been tested by hundreds of independent  companies all over the world and have been operation for over 30 years
General Ecology® Water Purifiers Certified independently to EPA Guide Standards- Standard Protocol for microbiological purifiers against Bactria, Cysts and Viruses!

Seagull® IV & Nature Pure® UltrafineT Water Purifiers

First Need® Portable Water Purifiers

Three series of tests were conducted by the independent laboratory at the University of Arizona to document removal of microbiological contaminants according to current EPA Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers.

The purifiers were operated for 100% of their rated capacity and challenged periodically with high concentrations of bacteria, cysts and virus. At the 60% and 75% test points the units were challenged with "worst case" water according to protocol. Additionally, the systems were allowed to stagnate for 48 hours after the 50%, 75% and 100% test points to demonstrate that no microbiological growth through the cartridge occurred.

% Reduction (geometric average of 3 units)
       Bacteria      Cysts      Virus Polopviurs
type I
Test Point
% of Rated Capacity      Klebsiella terrigena      Cryptosporidium      Rotavirus SA-11
start                                  >99.9999                       >99.9                     >99.99
25%                                  >99.9999                      >99.9                    >99.99
50%                                  >99.9999                      >99.9                    >99.99
48 hr. stagnation                NG                               NG                       NG
*60%                            >99.9999                    >99.9                    >99.99
*75%                            >99.9999                   >99.9                 >99.99
48 hr. stagnation      NG      NG      NG
*90%                          >99.9999                   >99.9                     >99.99
*100%                          >99.9999                   >99.9                     >99.99
*= Worst case challenge water. NG = No Growth

They are also used on the Airbus A380 and Virgin Atlantic Airways plus fitted as standard in some boats.

This is standard information anyone can get on the internet, I have researched this as we needed a system for our house and it is  very important to get something right where it concerns your health! I found many water purification/filter systems only did part of the job where Seagull IV did the lot. I believed the idea of the forum is to provide useful information to all living here so I decided to do so espeically as we have used the system for many years now and can be confident the water is safe to drink.

IP Logged

El_Alto

Dutch and Curious

Reply #18 - Aug 24th, 2010 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Hi Pip,

The link I published is just a copy of the magazine artikel at the website of 2Bsure. The test and the artikel is done in  2004 in a well know Dutch sailing magazine as you can see at:

http://www.zeilen.nl/tijdschrift/juli-2004/1302

So I think it's a bit quick and dirty analized if you  suggest this is a fake artikel from the manufacturer of 2Bsure.

All the other info I can find on the Seagull IV (also in the links you provided)  is unverified manufacturers marketing (like they are referring to a test from the University of Arizona but the test itself is not published).

Regards,
Mark

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top