Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 wood axe (Read 6478 times)
Bulldog

Forum newbie

wood axe
Jan 27th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Hi,
Can anybody recomend where I can buy a decent wood axe without breaking the bank as we are starting a new project.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Re: wood axe
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Do you want a normal axe for chopping through wood or a splitting maul for splitting logs.?  Plenty of stuff available.  Where's your nearest shopping town ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Try the Car Bootys, often hand tools can be bought for not a lot, you may strike lucky and find a wood axe, next one at L'Ampolla this Sunday

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Hi, This is our first wood stove and our first deliverey of logs is due this week. the chap said we would have to split the logs. So do we need a wood axe or this maul thing and what are we looking for? Our nearest shopping is Tortosa and can only get to the car boots when the weather is warm. We normally approach our new tasks with our trusty large hammer or screwdriver but as novice lumberjacks an axe sounds a better option.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Hopefully the logs will have been cut to a length that will fit in the stove.  If you need to split them you'll need a splitting maul.

Having trubs inserting an image but if you google "splitting maul" and select "images" there's loads.
You could try the Sol Debre co-operative or failing that Herraiz.  Can send directions if required.  If so, let me know which side of Tortosa you are.  Not teaching you to suck eggs but they're mean beasts and you could injure yourself if careless.  You should expect to pay in the order of €20 upwards.
There are also things called "wood grenades" that you hit with a sledge hammer.  Never tried them and not sure if you can get them here.
If you've got dosh to spare, there are various sizes of log splitting machines available.
You don't need to split down to the size of kindling and exprimenting will tell you how small you need to go.  Depending on the size of your rounds, try some halves and quarters.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Another tip.  If you're getting a full load, you won't use it all this winter so only split as much as you need.  If you store what's left in a dry place, it will be easier to split next winter as it will have dried more.  Cut when green and split when dry.

IP Logged

jollyolive

Forum newbie

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 7:10am
Print Post  
I have a splitting maul for 12 euros      686743275   will be at car boot at Ampolla this morning for a while    best time say 11am.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks all who wrote about us getting the axe/maul I had never heard of a maul but it really does work ( thanks for maul John ) Now on my C.V. states lumberjack I may also apply to have pest control officer added to above C.V. Is it normal to find oneself covered in ants from inside the log once it is split. Is it better to spray the logs before splitting? Or was I just lucky to get the extra wildlife.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
The wood ants infest carob wood and you will get covered in them,especially if you are cutting the logs straight off the tree.Dont wear loose clothing,they get everywhere and are more active in the summer.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Totally Normal especially in carob wood watch out the beggars don't get inside you clothes, they can give quite a nip, leave split logs out and wait for the whoopee birds to come they love ants!!

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Having said that I managed to chainsaw a snake in three the other day ( not intentionally ) which had also taken up residence  in a carob tree.

Sleep well.

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Chain Saws Also good for shredding Geckos, the cats love em minced up!!

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Hi, as the name implies bulldog I have true british grit and my knowledge of the great outdoors is only surpassed by my command of rocket science. I faced the logs with loose clothing and no whoopie bird but with my trusted cup of tea and new best friend the maul. After being chased by a very large black beatle when we first came here I faced the ants with courage and split my first log got attacked by the ants got bitten so regrouped in the kitchen with my cup of tea and new best friend. Perhaps I am not really cut out to be a lumberjack. Only time will tell.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I remember when I first got here and realised I was going to have to get involved with woody things and stuff and chainsaws and mauls etc.  I was quite impressed with myself and thought "If my friends could see me now".  This was mixed with some trepidation regarding the hazardous nature of the tools and the warnings I'd read that it was actually possible to kill yourself without trying too hard.  However, Courage mon Brave.  Take your time and if in doubt about any aspect of it, just stick a line on here.  The only word of warning is to not get complacent and remember, wood warms twice.  Once when you cut it and again when you burn it.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Hi, after reading your last post I finished my cup of tea picked up my maul and with courage faced the wood pile yet again with no fear in my heart took a swing, split the log with one blow pride swelling in my chest picked up my two halves saw a long white sqigley thing crawling out towards my hand and back to the kitchen cup of tea some research ( emmerdale ) steady my nerves, butano not such a bad fire, always tomorrow.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top