Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Vaccine against Leismania (Read 13907 times)
santsalvador
Ex Member

Vaccine against Leismania
Jan 12th, 2012 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
http://www.virbac.com/p-vbcompuben/display.aspx?srv=p-vbcom&typ=pub&lang=en&cmd=...;

Just recently licenced in Spain but very new and not many vets are aware of its existence.
Terry.

IP Logged

avalidopinion
Ex Member

Re: Vaccine against Leismania
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Its good news. However this will only work on dogs that are
" leishmaniosis free" So a simple blood test will tell you if your dog is clear. One of my dogs has had leishmaniosis for the past 4 years and was one of the first some years ago to have a liquid treatment at 200 euros a pop She had two courses of treatment over a 12 month period, It did however make no difference to the sores on her tongue and nose. However through word of mouth I went to the chemist and obtained Allopurinol tablets 30mg once a day cost 3 euro 30 cents. Her nose and mouth has cleared up and she is more full of life. Smiley She is not cured but her quality of life has much improved. Funny the vet never mentioned this "Cheaper" alternative.

IP Logged

santsalvador
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 11:00am
Print Post  
HI. It depends what vet you use as to whether they offer a cheaper treatment or not, and of course how knowledgeable you are on the problem, I'm sorry to say that most vets are all about money especially the larger concerns,We have used most of the vets in this area at some time or other and know the better ones, most dogs that come to us with Lieshmania are on Zolric 300mg which is the same as what your using, cheap and very affective.
Its great news about this vaccine and long awaited.
Terry.

IP Logged

ClipClop
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
It is really good news about the vaccine, my vet told me in Nov that the trials in Portugal had been very possitve and that it should be here early this year. Next time I go I will ask him if it is available yet. We had a dog that had leismania , he had to have the serum first  (only once) then the cheap pills after, however because he was an older dog I think the serum may have helped contol the initial problem  but it didn't do his liver any good and spent the next couple of years with liver trouble on and off.  After going through this I think I would try the pills for a while first and if that doesn't work well then the serum would have to be given. I have some Spanish friends that have dogs and they give all their dogs the pills as a matter of course and they don't seem to suffer from Leishmania. 

IP Logged

santsalvador
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Hi. Our local Vet in Gandesa is excellent and his prices are very good, there is an alternative to the serum, a series of injections and tablets and then zoloric or  equivelent, a lot cheaper than the serum, they wont always tell you this
We have had dogs here that after a term of Zoloric, maybe a year and a blood test, the test came back negative.
There is hope for these poor dogs, we've seen some terrible conditions with this disease and with medication and care they can come good and have a long life.
Terry.

IP Logged

ClipClop
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
We did have a choice of the Serum or injections, choose the serum because I didn't want to do the injections everyday for a month, I think it is worth paying a bit extra to not put the dog through all that pain fron the jabs. The jabs can  also affect the liver.  the serum was about 140 euros for 20kg dog. So not so bad.
Just so pleased that hopefully now there will be less dogs suffering soon if they have the vaccination Cheesy

IP Logged

patang
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Hello, I am bringing my 2 dogs over in April, is this Leismania anything I should be concerned about.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
As far as I know Leismania is caused by sand flies?
Like we can get malaria from mosquitoes.
Some parts of Spain are worse than others, this area being one of the worst areas.
You can buy special collars from the vets. Not sure if they work.
Other wise you may want to ask a vet for further advice, and keep an eye out for the dogs becoming poorly.

IP Logged

ClipClop
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
It won't be a problem for you if you get them vaccinated against it before you come, ask your vet where you live now if they can do it. It is a bit of a lottery here some dogs get some don't. I had collars on mine one still got it the other didn't!! Worse on the coastal areas i've been told.

IP Logged

santsalvador
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Patang. You should be very concerned, if you can get the vaccine in the uk then get the dogs vaccinated before you come, dont chance it.
The vaccine is called CaniLeish.
Terry.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hello, I am bringing my 2 dogs over in April, is this Leishmania anything I should be concerned about.

Hi, YES, we lost 3 of our dogs to this horrific disease we spent night and day nursing them using every type of medication the vet could use but to no avail, including blood transfusion. This gave one of our dogs an extra 12 months of life. They all had Scalibor collars and frontline. So we will be first in the que when the vaccine comes here as its a nightmare when any of our tribe looks off side as our first thoughts are Leishmania. Our vet said the sandfly is most active early morning and dusk when it is cooler.
Bulldog.

IP Logged

patang
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
I have been in touch with my vet here in the u.k. and it is not available here, so it looks as if I will have to have them done as soon as I arrive in Tortosa.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Hi,
We have been in touch with our vet who will be getting vaccine in mid week. Price 150 euros, test for Leishmania  free. Has anyone had their dogs vaccinated yet and if so how did it affect them?
Bulldog.

IP Logged

santsalvador
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Hi. Thanks for that Bulldog, what vet is that, thats extortionate  but maybe the price will drop, worth asking round, i'll ask our local vet in Gandesa and report back.
Terry.

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Hi Terry,
Ours is the vet near Lidls Tortosa. Can be recognised with his hooped jumper, black mask and gun. not a bad vet but would have made a better banker. his only English being hands up more money.
Yours the vet expert Bulldog.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top