Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
 25 Loss of UK TV channels (Read 158795 times)
ddspain
Ex Member

Re: Loss of UK TV channels
Reply #105 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 7:09pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #106 - Dec 1st, 2013 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
I did post these two on here a few days ago but my "Edit digit" wiped them off.

https://www.overplay.net/

Tunnelbear the one I use is free for 500mb a month or 4.99 dollars a month for unlimited downloads you can also have two other devices for that price. I have a pc, ipad and Kindle fire all for the one price. I am on Iberbanda and it works fine.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing/

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #107 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Astra 2E is finally on the move. It will take a week or two for it to arrive at its final position and, from what I have read on various fórums, channels will start to be moved around the middle of february.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #108 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Luxembourg, January 31st, 2014 – SES S.A. (NYSE Euronext Paris and Luxembourg Stock Exchange: SESG) announces that the ASTRA 2E satellite enters into commercial service in the orbital arc of 28.2/28.5 degrees East on February 1, 2014. The satellite was launched on board an ILS Proton launch vehicle from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on September 30, 2013. - See more at: http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2014/16858202#sthash.ZsdrC8rJ.dpuf
-----------
ASTRA 2E has now been deployed at its final destination in the orbital arc of 28.2/28.5 degrees East, where it is co-positioned with ASTRA 2A, ASTRA 2F and ASTRA 1N. Over the coming weeks, BSkyB, Channel4, ITV and BBC programming in this arc will be transitioned to the new satellite with its powerful footprint over the British Isles. - See more at: http://www.ses.com/4233325/news/2014/16858202#sthash.ZsdrC8rJ.dpuf

IP Logged

Dusty
Ex Member

Reply #109 - Jan 31st, 2014 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
You say BSkyB - does this mean we will lose all the Sky channels as well?

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #110 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I would be very suprised if SKY move to a UK spotbeam as they would stand to lose a huge amount of revenue. The operators interested in moving, and with nothing to lose, are the ones on Freesat - the BBC, ITV et al. that are NOT part of a SKY package. The SKY digiboxes provide these channels but SKY do not opérate them.

Back at the end of last year BTSport moved from Eutelsat to Astra 2F UK spotbeam, A few days later it reappeared on the PE beam - you may wonder why. I'm sure there is nothing oficial published anywhere but as it is a pay cannel I expect that the switchboards were clogged with 'UK' residents wanting to cancel their subscription as they were no longer able to receive the cannel - money talks!

None of the Freesat channels are subscription so they will have no pressure from subscribers or be running the risk of losing revenue by losing viewers outside the UK.

My guess (and it's only that) is that SKY will not run the risk of losing paying subscribers irrespective of where they are based so if they move to 2E or 2F they will move to PE beams. If that is the case then you should not worry about losing your tv.

Many UK TV viewers only have the freesat channels however those that have packages tend to have the sports packages. Lets assume the do.
So if there are a possibly conservative 300,000 SKY viewers dotted around Europe what's it worth?

300,000 x subs @ £43.50/month = £13.5 million a month = £156.6 million per year.

Not sure about you but if I was running a business that I wouldn't be too keen on wiping £156.6 million off the bottom line - the shareholders might not be too happy or maybe BSB is so huge they wouldn't really notice. At the end of the day, as I said earlier, money talks.

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #111 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Just found these......

http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-1N.html Updated 3 days ago.

http://www.satlaunch.net/2011/08/astra-1n-coverage-footprint-maps.html

Nigel, Years ago when I fitted satellite systems BSB (NOT BskyB as it became after sky bought out BSB)  used flate plate antennas and all LNB's had a screw inside which could be turned to adust the frequency range. Turning it allowed the french channels to be received from the french Telecom satellite and also allowed news feeds to be received which were normally outside the range of received channels. Is this still the case?Flat plate antennas still available. can you tell us which size is needed so we can  use smaller antenna than these huge monster size dishes you say are needed?

John.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #112 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
It's not the frequency that you need to change - the frequencies are going to stay the same.

The Lyngsat 1N channels (that you found) are the ones that are going to move to 1E - and soon!

The noise figure/quality of an LNB makes no difference if there is no signal, which will most likely be the case when the 1N channels are migrated to 2E.

I have no idea if they still make the flat dishes - they were called 'squarials' if I remember correctly. If they do I very much doubt you would find one big enough for here.

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #113 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:10am
Print Post  
There are no reports yet of any transmissions from Astra 2E. The new satellite cannot be switched on until broadcasts from Astra 1N, on the same frequencies, have stopped.
A new BBC Winter Olympics channel has begun in standard definition on Astra 2F's Europe beam. It's probable that an HD version will be added shortly before the games begin this Friday. The lack so far of an HD Winter Olympics channel, and the 4th. February addition of Channel Five +24, tends to indicate some additions and switch of channels to Astra 2E starting in the early hours of 4th. February. The switch is likely to take a few days, and will be carrried out in the middle of the night.

skyinmadrid.com

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #114 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 7:45am
Print Post  
There were some changes made last night from Astra 2A to 2E. They were SKY subscription channels NOT the Freesat channels so if you have a SKY subscription and you still receive the channels please let me know - I don't so can't check them although the signal level on all the transponders doesn't seem to have changed very much.

The channels that have switched were on Astra 2A and are listed here:
http://en.kingofsat.net/sat-astra2a.php

If someone with a subscription could confirm that they are ok I would appreciate it.

IP Logged

Bunter
God Member

Forum Cerebral Bore

Reply #115 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Hi Nigel

I have Sky entertainment plus and all channels appear there at the mo. Movies for men and euronews appears to be the channels some of the forums check for loss of signal and they are both are showing at 12noon today. I have only a 80cm dish  Cry

IP Logged

sue100
Ex Member

Reply #116 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Just checked our channels re sky sobscription, and all seem to be working fine, although some have changed channel numbers for the past couple of weeks. Dont know about the film channels as we do not subscribe to those.

Just a thought for the techies out there. When all the sky channels go, would it be possible to use our 1.2 mt dish to change to another satellite such as hotbird for example by purchasing a different receiver?

Many thanks
Sue

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #117 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Sue, you will not need a new recevier. Just line your old dish onto hotbird and retune your existing receiver.

John.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #118 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
If Sue has a SKY Digibox then yes she will need a new receiver.

Yes you can re-align and re-tune to another satellite, the most common ones are Astra 1 and Hotbird 13.

Not much on either in English though - usually just BBC World and SKY News.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #119 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Euronews is on Astra 2F European beam and has been for a while, Movie4Men is also on Astra 2F European beam and has been for a while.
Neither were involved in last nights changes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top