Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Eurona ..... and a bum IP address (Read 18175 times)
ColinB
Ex Member

Eurona ..... and a bum IP address
May 31st, 2013 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Nigel - I can't send emails and as I don't know your private email address you'll have to put up with this.     You helped me join Eurona on Monday from Iberbanda.  Before you came I sent and received emails as per normal.  In the evening I was able to receive emails but when sending I got an error message that the IP address I was issued with was blacklisted as an originator of spam.

I contacted you and your advice was that I must have a virus or a trojan but I could appeal against the blacklisting and get it lifted.

I did.  It was.

On Thursday night the blacklist was back on.

I appealed.  It was lifted.

I have used every Extermination site I can find to get rid of any unwanted malware and each one shows no infection.

My ISP in UK confirms Eurona issued me the IP address which is causing the problem.

I am totsally unhappy with your assertion that I must have a virus as I understand I would be aware if I was sending multi address spams.  Additionally if, as you assert, I have an infection then it must be sometime during leaving Iberbanded (a slow and expensive but faultless system) and logging on to Eurona. 

I am the innocent party here and I'm looking to you and Eurona to sort out this issue without delay.

RSVP asap.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Eurona ..... and a bum IP address
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2013 at 9:42am
Print Post  
It's being investigated. If you temporarily switch back to Iberbanda for a couple of days (as it's still running) see if you get blocked there. May be a coincidence. If its the ip being hacked then it will get re-blocked while you are on Iberbanda.

According to Spamhaus the IP is blocked due to an infection of Pushdo which is difficult to detect/remove:
http://www.spyware-techie.com/pushdo-trojan-removal-guide

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2013 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Nigel - Tks for yours.  I cnfm I am able to send over Iberbanda but when I try to send over Eurona I get the following error message:

QUOTE:An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=188.119.192.56.
ENDQUOTE
I further advise I'm unable to send over Eurona from my #2 laptop which has not been used for over 3 weeks ....  so if the #1 was infected at the time of changing companies, the # 2 cannot be.

The fault is undeniably down to Eurona and/or the IP address it has issued me.  A prompt solution will be gratefully received.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 8:19am
Print Post  
If its blocked then nothing will be able to send. The IP needs to be unblocked first. Then connect #2 and it should be ok. Leave it connected (don't connect #1!) to see if it gets blocked.

Process of elimination to start with. If you get a different IP it may well get blocked as well. What is your Iberbanda IP? (google what's my ip).

Procedure to follow:
1. Unblock IP and don't connect anything for 24 hrs - we can then check if the ip is blocked even without you being connected (can you confirm you have done this).
If it gets blocked it's not you and somewhere it's hijacked.
If it doesn't get blocked then;
2. Only connect #2 and monitor if it gets blocked or not. If not then
3. Connect #1 and monitor. If it gets blocked it's infected.

Eurona have hundreds of IP addresses issued and no reports of hijacking. It's not them blocking you - it's a third party - spamhaus - they are detecting something on your ip address and it should be unique to your connection.

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 10:07am
Print Post  
At 03/06-0950: both machines not able to send over Eurona. IP unblocked. Now on Iberbanda, IP= 83.230.189.92.
I'll wait to hear from you before re-connecting to Eurona tomorrow as per your (1).  Phone if you wish. C.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Check the Iberbanda IP on Spamhaus - it is also blocked but by a different list.

As I write (14:33) the Eurona IP is not blocked.
'It was previously listed, but was removed at 2013-06-03 07:53 GMT'

Will check it again later.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2013 at 7:52am
Print Post  
24 hrs on and the ip is still clean. So, connect #2 and see what happens - DON'T us it for mail yet - wait 12 hrs (use it to browse) and check the IP on spamhaus.

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Tonight Tuesday 20.00 hrs I can send emails over Iberbanda from both machines.  I get the blacklist message from both machines over Eurona.   Why? 

Why does Iberbanda work perfectly and Eurona doesn't?

Please let me know what you and your company has been doing in the meantime as it appears to me, thus far,  that I am being asked to do all the remedial work.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Spamhaus still says your IP address is clean - it hasn't been blocked since you disconnected your machine.
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/188.119.192.56

So, is it Eurona or your machine??

If it hasn't been blocked while you haven't been connected but does block when you connect what is the deduction? A Eurona problem or a machine problem?

I'm assuming your IP address hasn't changed either on Eurona or Iberbanda but the Iberbanda one IS listed in Spamhaus as violating email sending requirements :
This IP range has been identified by Spamhaus as not meeting our policy for IPs permitted to deliver unauthenticated 'direct-to-mx' email to PBL users
http://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/83.230.189.92

Connect #2 to the Eurona connection and browse for a few hours then see if the IP is blocked. If not, try it with mail and see if it keeps working.

Process of elimination I'm afraid - and the evidence is pointing to an infected machine. The infection isn't one that is easy to find as it hides itself extremely well and many scanners etc. do not detect it.

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I use Avast as my virus checker and hv been onto their problem forum.... the complete dialogue here and you'll find it worth reading ...

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=126424.0

The guy who is mainly involved in my query has 22,000 posts to his name so I assume he has a good knowledge of his product.   To quote him " OK I have found a grand total of two orphaned adware elements and that is it.  No unusual files have been added or modified for the last 30 days.  I do not believe that you are infected". 

I fully believe I have done everything I can do to investigate whether I have an infection as you assert and now, after nearly two weeks of being unable to send emails, I am looking to Eurona for backup.  I don't consider the installation fee of 20 euros has yet been earnt.   Wouldn't a fresh IP address clarify the situation?

IP Logged

graham
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Hi ColinB
My experience with blacklisted IP addresses suggests that it can be a frustrating exercise. Some of the blacklists are slow to respond to delisting requests, and therefore it can take some time for an IP to get fully delisted (several weeks in one instance where one of my webservers was concerned).
I don't know how Eurona allocate IP addresses on Wimax connections. If they are dynamically allocated from a pool (likely) rather than being static, then it may be that if you shut down your connection for a period of time (overnight, for example) - i.e. power off your modem box, then when you turn it back on you may be allocated a different IP address from the pool. If so, and your systems are clean, then you'll be home free.
Just a thought.
Good luck with it.

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Hello Graham. I'll try anything.  After tonight I'll pull all plugs......certainly worth a try as I'm not getting much support, nor value for money, from Eurona. Thank you for your interest in my problem.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Spamhaus has not blocked your IP for several days (I have been checking regularly 188.119.192.56 so I assume you aren't connected or your IP address has changed and the block is following your machine. What is your current IP address and to which network are you connected?

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks Nigel.  I'm now 188.119.192.40 using Eurona and am being blocked.  Continuing to investigate with Avast help desk but nothing to add at the moment.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Your 'old' IP address 118.119.192.56 is still clean - has been since you disconnected from it and stopped sending mail.

Your 'new' IP address has been blocked by Spamhaus. http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=188.119.192.40

So, the problem has followed your machine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top