Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
EHIC vs Travel Insurance (Read 3189 times)
UKinSpain
Ex Member

EHIC vs Travel Insurance
Aug 20th, 2013 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Confused about when to use your travel insurance and when to use your EHIC when on holiday in Spain? The answer is simple. The EHIC is for public hospitals and public healthcare centres. It covers you for necessary care that canīt wait until you return home.  Travel insurance covers you for treatment at private hospitals. Some hospitals offer both public and private treatment. It is your responsibility (and your right) to let healthcare providers know which cover you prefer. For further information on what your EHIC rights are, visit our Healthcare Teamīs website.  http://www.healthcareinspain.eu/the-ehic.php

IP Logged

Sherlock

Forum newbie

Re: EHIC vs Travel Insurance
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
How about if we're residents here in Catalunya and whilst holidaying in Britain should need medical care?  Do we go to Social Security here to get a medical card that will cover us in the UK?  Years ago I was seen by my parents' GP in England as a 'temporary resident' but I think I've heard the situation's changed.

IP Logged

santroc
Ex Member

Re: EHIC vs Travel Insurance
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2013 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Whilst in the Uk last October I was admitted to Lincoln County Hospital for two days with an existing problem that had flared up. I was treated free of charge and given medication and my notes to bring home with me. I showed my EHIC card  on admittance but they did not seem too bothered about it, only wanted to check our last UK address even though we had been in Spain for 9 years.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top