Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Catalan independence - voting rights (Read 5264 times)
Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Catalan independence - voting rights
Sep 15th, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Unless you are blind to what is currently going on in Catalunya you will know that the ruling CIU party are trying to legalise and call a referendum on Independence, as is happening in Scotland.

There has been a lot of talk by Artur Mas, the president of the Generalitat, about 'Democratic Catalunya' and that 'Every citizen of Catalunya will have the right to vote'.

How does this affect us foreigners who are registered here and have made our lives here - is this right also applied to us? Well, as of today - no. We have no right to vote.

Did you know that in 2012, according to the census of the population of Catalunya, 13% were foreigners? This, in numbers, translates to nearly 984,000 people who live and contribute that will be excluded - is this democratic?

I have written to 4 of the main political parties in Catalunya asking for their views and if foreigners will be included in any reforendum and if not then how can they call themselves democratic.

I wrote:
I am a foreigner and, according to demographic studies 13% of the Catalan population has foreign nationality.
I have lived in Catalunya over 9 years, I am registered, I'm self-employed and pay my taxes here.
In 2012 there were, according to the Government, 7,565,603 inhabitants in Catalonia, that means that 983,528 foreigners were registered as resident.
If there is a referendum for independence, does this 13% of foreigners have the right to vote?
If not, where is democracy? If 13% are not entitled to decide their future, is it fair or democratic?
If there should be a referendum it should include all who live and are registered here.

I wonder if I have the right to vote. If not, where is democracy?

So far I have had one positive reply from Esquerra:

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your input. I totally agree. We are working to ensure that all citizens in Catalunya can vote, and not only that, but if there is Independence then all citizens will be able to have Catalan nationality.

This Friday the 'Llei deConsultes Populars no referendàries', in which it is expected that the right of residents with at least 3 years of residency to votewill be approved. I'll be able to answer your question more accurately from Friday when the bill passes.

Thanks and cheers

So ther IS hope for us foreigners that have been registered for at least 3 years and, should Catalunya gain Independence, we will have the right to become Catalan citizens.

I will keep you posted on any other replies and any updates on the reply from Izquerra.

Nigel

IP Logged

Betty_Swollox

Old git

Re: Catalan independence - voting rights
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 2:13am
Print Post  
Thank you, Nigel, for putting forward what I and many of my friends feel, i.e. that this is OUR home too and what happens to the people here ALSO happens to US, whatever our thoughts may be on the Independence movement.
I have cast a vote in every election back in UK in which I was involved, be in local or general elections and feel strongly that WE have the right to elect the person who WE feel fits the bill. Just because we are in a different country we should NOT be excluded from having a say in our own lives.
I look forward to hearing the results of Friday's Bill.
Best wishes,
Simon

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 9:49am
Print Post  
In all the years of living here in Catalunya, we have never received any voting papers, and should have done.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 10:09am
Print Post  
I do get voting papers and always vote.

You don't need the papers though - just turn up at the voting station on the day with ID and you can vote as they have a register with all the people eligible listed.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 11:23am
Print Post  
O.K.
Thanks, Nigel.
Don't know where are voting papers end up?

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Nigel, I think your democracy just died of heart failure

http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2014/09/139335/cataluna-offers-moroccans-arabic-...

I can only hope i will be bribed by them putting my favourite TV shows on Channel 3 and sending an ample supply of free pork pies round every month. 

PS  I think there's a free bottle of whisky for everyone who votes 'yes' in Scotland tomorrow care of a certain A. Salmond

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I have now had an update on the rights to vote which has now given foreigners the right to vote:

The law was passed on friday and gives the following voting rights:

a) persons over sixteen who are registered in Catalunya, including Catalans living abroad. The latter will only apply if they previously register in the registry created for this purpose.

b) persons over sixteen - members of the European Union registered in the Population Register of Catalonia (empadronado) and having been registerd continually for one year immediately preceding the announcement of the referendum.

c) persons over sixteen of other countriess registered in the Population Register of Catalonia (empadronado) and having been registerd continually for three years immediately preceding the announcement of the referendum.

I guess the majority of us fall into b and a few into c.

So get canvassing and PLEASE tell your friends that, if they are registered here, that they will have the right to vote in any referéndum that Sr. Mas decides to hold.

Nigel

IP Logged

catalanboy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Alas my village is 100% ciu as I think a lot of the the populations are along the ebro ....... maybe something to do with the Spanish government wanting to divert the ebro down to Valencia some years back in the drought years, among other more serious issues of course. Spain will never let Catalunya go.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top