Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 pre-perforated irrigation hose.... (Read 11581 times)
ColinB
Ex Member

pre-perforated irrigation hose....
Dec 8th, 2015 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
...the brown tube with holes.    My pump kicks out 4 bar - what length of tube can I expect to be effective?  Have tried Gardena green leaky hose and a black tri-tube Lidl product but the holes seem to self heal -  it looks as though a machine punches a hole with a needle so after time, it doesn't work !  Plan B  needed.

IP Logged

Bricon
Ex Member

Re: pre-perforated irrigation hose....
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Hi
There is no need to water the right plants but if you're talking about a vegetable plot then it is necessary.
Perforated tubes are not much use if you live in a limestone area. Or if your soil is alkali. If you live round here then though the PH is not high the soil is not acidic. Does your kettle "fur up"?
When you turn off the water in your perforated tubing some stays in the perforation itself and the sun evaporates the water leaving a little limestone. Eventually  the hole blocks up.
Little sprinklers fitted into 20mm tubing are much better though obviously the same problem occurs but the holes are much bigger. But the sprinklers can be taken out and left in white vinegar which dissolves the limestone and then replaced in the tubing. Better if you can find sprinklers that have the spigot threaded. Much easier to take out. The red topped ones eventually disintegrate in the sun (3/4 years) Black ones are better if you can find them. Threaded black ones are available in some DIY stores in France but here?

Good luck
Bricon

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2016 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks \Bricon - in fact I have a calcium neutralising (polyphosphate) filter.

IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Bricon,
May I ask what plants you refer to as 'right' plants and not needing water.
Perhaps we should start and plant some here.
Save us time and water.

IP Logged

Bricon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
If you are sure your filter is working then perhaps it is the "muck" that is in the water. I live between Ampolla and El Perelló where the tap water is undrinkable and is often brown. Where do you live and is your water like mine? Does your kettle "fur up"? If it does then the filter is not working. Does your "gardening" water go through that filter?

Re "right plants". The list is endless. Well nearly.
As Nigel said a year ago forget virtually anything from GB and places like Bauhaus and plenty of garden centres which I cannot name.
Places that sell "Mediterranean" plants include:
Culti-Delta (Amposta) They will send you a list of their plants if you ask for it.
www.salagraupera.com/ near Mataró. Has a good web page in English too.
www.carex.cat in Banyoles is fine also but their catalogue is only in Catalan, I think.
It is no use asking for plants with English names like "daisy" or "buttercup" you have to have the Latin name and it is always at least two words. eg Leucanthemum vulgare (daisy) or Ranunculus acris (Buttercup). Out of interest all buttercups are not yellow. I have taken photographs of red and white ones and have photographs of pink, orange and varied coloured ones.
The plants that these people, and there are others, sell should be planted in Autumn (not Spring) and will need watering for the first year and maybe two (depending on the weather) and not every week either, but should be OK after that.
None of the sellers will guarantee success but their material has a far greater possibility than most plants that grow in GB. The reverse applies in that, what grows well here will not normally do too well in GB.
The plants that I have in my garden (Nigel will tell you the same about his (or his wife's) garden are not watered until things become desperate and are going to die unless given a drink. Desperate means at least one month in the middle of summer with no rain as well as showing signs of distress.
Nobody waters the plants that are on the hillsides behind you. And nobody gives them fertiliser or compost either. They don't need it. And they don't like it.
Remember that lots of mediterranean plants "hibernate" in summer. They are smart. If you look around you will notice that there are not a lot of plants in flower in the middle of summer. Most local plants are Spring or Autumn flowering.
Hope this helps
Bricon

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Here are some photos of our abused un-watered but very hardy happy plants.
All are Mediterranean and many from Culti Delta

20160326_144557a.jpg ( 145 KB | 253 Downloads )
20160326_144557a.jpg
20160326_144544a.jpg ( 133 KB | 243 Downloads )
20160326_144544a.jpg
20160326_144526a.jpg ( 108 KB | 240 Downloads )
20160326_144526a.jpg
IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 2:54pm
Print Post  

20160326_144513a.jpg ( 117 KB | 235 Downloads )
20160326_144513a.jpg
20160326_144501a.jpg ( 145 KB | 238 Downloads )
20160326_144501a.jpg
20160326_144451a.jpg ( 134 KB | 233 Downloads )
20160326_144451a.jpg
IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
.. and a couple of what they were like last year - a bit early still but they will be back

DSC_0029.JPG ( 207 KB | 234 Downloads )
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0030.JPG ( 82 KB | 240 Downloads )
DSC_0030.JPG
20160326_144557a_001.jpg ( 145 KB | 243 Downloads )
20160326_144557a_001.jpg
IP Logged

Ritaratbag
God Member

Forum newbie

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Looking lovely.

IP Logged

maxwell
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
...the brown tube with holes.    My pump kicks out 4 bar - what length of tube can I expect to be effective?  Have tried Gardena green leaky hose and a black tri-tube Lidl product but the holes seem to self heal -  it looks as though a machine punches a hole with a needle so after time, it doesn't work !  Plan B  needed.

Hello!
You can buy in Bauhaus, Brico Depot...
is adjustable and can fully close. Works perfectly and without pump. If need a help call me 633371043. Maks

_____________________________.jpg ( 35 KB | 232 Downloads )
_____________________________.jpg

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
This isn't the brown perforated hose that Colin is talking about and these little goteras and the tubing can be bought locally.  What head of water are you feeding these with Maxwell ?

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 11th, 2016 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Bigyin wrote on Mar 30th, 2016 at 7:35pm:
This isn't the brown perforated hose that Colin is talking about and these little goteras and the tubing can be bought locally.  What head of water are you feeding these with Maxwell ?

Thanks Bigyin for pointing out all the various posts on this thread have not addressed my original question. 

Did I need a lecture about choosing plants that don't need watering? No. 

Have we spent a lot of time and money preparing a long trench for an olliander hedge?  Yes. 

Shall we water the new plants or let them die?  Believe me, not even 6cms of rain in 36 hrs is going to keep young plants going for long.  The system we have now installed allows us to decide what plants we want and where, it's cost effective and reliable, using timers and selective stopcocks .....  and doesn't rely on sparse rainfall we experience.

IP Logged

Bricon
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Hi
I answered the original question about blocked up brown perforated tubing suggesting that limestone water was the problem and  a possible solution was the little sprinklers. This was Plan "B". If that is not the problem or solution, then sorry you need to ask some one else.
Ritaratbag asked what were the "Right" plants that don't need watering.
As I said the list was "endless. Well nearly" and gave the names of some places where these could be bought. Nigel showed some examples and I have more if anybody wants to see them.
It's good to hear you have at least one of the "endless list". What others have you? And where did you get them?
Of course you should water the newly planted, in the endless list or not.
They should be planted in Autumn, not Spring and may need watering for up to two years, depending on the weather in the following summers.
Never-the-less though most of the local or other "Mediterranean" area (there are five worldwide) plants will survive without watering it seems stupid to me to spend money and time on plants that are going to die if they don't get the odd drink in the middle of summer.
Once Mediterranean plants are established there is no need for any irrigation system to keep them watered on a regular basis.
Everybody can choose whatever plants they want to put where ever in their garden, and if they want to, or have to water them, fine.
"If you cannot please yourself in your own garden, where can you?".  "Plants with Impact" by John Kelly.
My argument is that there is a wide choice of plants that only need an absolute minimum of water and they will survive on the sparse rainfall we have.
Nobody waters on the hillsides round here nor the Oleanders on the AP7
This is not meant as a "lecture" but hopefully there are other people who read the "gardening" forum and would like to know about "dry garden" plants and don't want or have the resources to install irrigation systems.
Bricon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top