Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 School enolrolment (Read 15395 times)
Tonyndeb
Ex Member

School enolrolment
Jul 11th, 2008 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Hi there, My significant other and I are looking to move over to the Tivenys area later this year. We have an 8 year old daughter and we would like to know if there are certain months that the schools enrol ? or is really as simple as turning up and checking in. If you have been their and done it we would appreciate your comments and help. How long do they have to wait before starting school, Should we take Spanish lessons or Catalan ? Can you Reccomend a good Spanish / Catalan teacher etc.
I look forward to any replies all help is gratefully received.

IP Logged

authorannie
Ex Member

Re: School enolrolment
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Hi have sent you a pm

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2008 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi there, My significant other and I are looking to move over to the Tivenys area later this year. We have an 8 year old daughter and we would like to know if there are certain months that the schools enrol ? or is really as simple as turning up and checking in. If you have been their and done it we would appreciate your comments and help. How long do they have to wait before starting school, Should we take Spanish lessons or Catalan ? Can you Reccomend a good Spanish / Catalan teacher etc.

With hindsight I wish I had learned Catalan instead of Spanish as first choice.

If you have school going children it is easier to learn the same language as they are doing. You will help each other so much faster. Besides how else will you liaise with the teachers and the notices they send home? Besides it is easier to integrate into village activities and fiestas if you speak Catalan. All the local information is always in Catalan. If you run a business here , they insist that 75% of it must be communicated in Catalan or you run a risk of a fine. Any labelling of goods must be in Catalan as well.

IP Logged

freshmedia
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Hi There

Myself and my family are moving to Tortosa in October from Northern Ireland, we have three children 9yrs, 8yrs & 4yrs.  I don't much about the process in enrolling them into the Primary school in Tortosa and would love some help and advice in this area.  Also if anybody has any advice on the process of getting NIE numbers and are willing to help i would really appreciate it.

I have never been involved in a forum or chat room before so I really don't know how this works. What I can tell you that we are really excited about moving!!! Grin

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi There

Myself and my family are moving to Tortosa in October from Northern Ireland, we have three children 9yrs, 8yrs & 4yrs.  I don't much about the process in enrolling them into the Primary school in Tortosa and would love some help and advice in this area.  Also if anybody has any advice on the process of getting NIE numbers and are willing to help i would really appreciate it.

I have never been involved in a forum or chat room before so I really don't know how this works. What I can tell you that we are really excited about moving!!! Grin

Well we look forward to welcoming you to the area. We will be more than happy to assist you and guide you through. One thing that the Education office is now asking for is for a report from the school last attended in NI-A letter from the Head to assertain the school subjects covered in that year at what level they are at, will surfice. You need to register in person at the Education Office in Tortosa and state your choice of 3 schools. You will need photocopies of passports, photographs also they will do a police check to prove you are living with the children, where you declare you are. Also they ask at the schools for your vaccination certificates. Do make sure the kids are up to date with tetnus and menigitis jabs.

hangon we have visitors.  Will write more later
When you are saying you're moving to Tortosa, where exactly will you be?

IP Logged

freshmedia
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Hi

Thanks for your help.  I know that I already said that we are moving in October, I am wondering if there will be problems with enrolling our kids in school at this time as the academic year as already started? 

Could anyone tell me the names off the Primary Schools in Tortosa and then I can contact them as I am finding it difficult to google them.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Hi
We have found you are not guaranteed to get your children in straight away, irrespective of when the school term starts. Some schools have waiting lists, others say they can't cope with more immigrants. You need to follow the paper chase first. First you have to register with the education authority which is in Remolins, the old part of the town, and produce evidence of your NIE and theirs, proof of where you are living. They asked us for our certificates we had to get from our local town hall of Convivence - proof of who was living in the property, even before they did the police checks, to prove the kids were with us.

But you always need loads of photographs and photocopies of everything. These you can get done with little problem over here.

The schools they will consider you for depends on where in Tortosa you will be living  (*see my mail link at the bottom)

The Education authority then TELLS YOU which schools your children will be considered for subject to availability. They then liaise with the schools and then ring you to ask you to come pick up forms and a letter of instruction to the said schools, for a meeting. Usually same day or within the hours as we found.
The schools teach in the medium of Catalan but will speak to you in Castellano. You not guaranteed to find English speakers available. We can arrange for someone to go with you. All forms are usually in Catalan with no English translation supplied. (The NIE forms are in Spanish.)

It is all very daunting at first, but do lean on the Expats out here and they have done it all before or know someone who has done it. So don't struggle alone.

Have you already purchased property out here or are you renting.?  You will need  a Spanish mobile number for them to contact you, if you don't have a landline .They won't ring you back on a Uk mobile number.

You can pick up a Movistar pay as you go phone, quite cheaply.

However, we have gathered that the Junior schools integrate the immigrant children far faster into regular  classes, faster than the high schools. They kids do get extra Catalan lessons and the rest of the time they have to take part in normal school, games and extra-murial activities.

The Junior school will also start them on learning Castellano as a  second compulsory language. But I think you as parents will be advised to learn Catalan first.

Though most Catalans can speak Spanish, some won't.

In getting back to the previous email on health matters with your children you must register them immediately with a local doctor. Your E111 is only for emergencies. The schools do ask for your doctors details. It also helps if you ask at the local surgery in NI for a computer print out of each of yours medical file. Most don't charge for that. Then when you register at the Medical centre of Cat Salud, they will get your history up on the computer as soon as possible.

If you wish to email me privately then please do so. roseann@BrighterSpain.com
Be happy to help.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Maybe things have changed in the last 3 1/2 years but...

When we moved here with 2 children (4 and 7) we just went directly to the local school after buying our house, and a couple of months before we actually moved here, (in Raval de Crist) and saw the headmaster.  We filled in a form for each of the children, they took photocopies of their passports and that was it.

They were very accomodating and went and found the English teacher (they all have at least one as it's part of the curriculum) and she explained everything we needed to know.  Also, when there were any meetings between the teachers and us on a 1 to 1 basis, the English teacher was always there to help out. 

When we knew roughly when we were going to arrive we let the school know and the kids started the monday after we arrived.

When we got our Cat Salud cards we took those in and they took copies.

In terms of language, the children went to intensive Catalan classes while the rest of the class went to Religion classes.  With the immersion in the classes/lessons etc. they learnt very quickly and were pretty well fluent within a year.

To find the junior/infant schools in Tortosa do a Google on 'ceip tortosa' ceip = Centro de Educacion Infantil de Primaria (mas o menos)

Nigel

IP Logged

Jislaaik
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 6:50am
Print Post  
I must concur with Nigel. We enrolled our daughter to 3 different high schools in the 4 years we have been here and in all 3 instances we went straight to the school and they were very helpful, also calling in the english teacher. The main thing you need is the certificate of Empadronnement which you get from the Town Hall (ajuntament).

Good luck

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
We had all this hassel last year when our grandson came out to live with us and when we went around school they all told us to go to Register him first. Then we had this massive paper trail and had to do everything which I mentioned above. He was 15 and when we went for his actual interview at The IES College, they told us if we could not manage Spanish to bring a translator as there was no one at college to help us.

So whatever I report is accurate to my personal experiences. Perhaps with hindsight we had more issues as his surname was different to ours. However, I have folk who live over the river On Tivenys side say they had similar problems and also had to await the police check and get loads of forms too.

When we were at the first meeting at the college they asked immediately for his health records,. vaccinations cards, school report.

So all you can do is, try at the schools first and if not, you know how to contact me.

IP Logged

Huw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Just a note, school enrolment started... yesterday the 14th of Feb and lasts till the 25th of this month.  This year the system has a slight change in that if your school is oversubscribed parents that have other children already enrolled get more "points" for the enrolment of their siblings.

For more information go to the school you want and ask for the papers, they will normally have a booklet or something to explain the system and if you ask (nicely) there is almost always a member of staff around that does in fact speak Enlgish.

IP Logged

DaneInSpain
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Hi, we just moved here and I can tell you it is miles easier getting your child into a village school. Tortosa town hall ask you for a ton of paperwork if you want to pick a school in the city, whilst the local village school only asked for my son's vaccination records and his passport. Good luck!

IP Logged

JamJarChris

Power to the peaceful

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Hi there - we arrrived in Feb 2007, and applied for our two children to join the local primary school in Camarles. From memory, we needed passports, health card and 'empadroment' which you can get from your local ajuntament.

They then started the next day - which was a shock to them both.

Catalan is the first language they will need, and our two were 'taken out' of some classes in order to have extra lessons in Catalan.

HTH

quod ambit, redit
GTalk  
IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
We had to produce our daughter's birth certificate as well as the above.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top