Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Stress Test (Read 14633 times)
fatphil
Ex Member

Stress Test
Jul 24th, 2010 at 10:22am
Print Post  
It has just been announced on the News that spanish banks have failed "the Stress Test"even though the standards were set lower than they should have been.
Now would seem to be a good time to withdraw money from Spanish bank accounts,unless they are guaranteed ,as English banks are now.
Allthough the Catalooonyians do seem to be succeeding in creating stress in English alotment owners,formerly known as Finca's !

IP Logged

Nosocks
Ex Member

Re: Stress Test
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 10:54am
Print Post  
The whole story can be found here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10732597

The five Spanish banks that failed, out of 27 tested, were regional savings banks, which racked up heavy losses following the collapse of the Spanish property market.

Cajasur was bailed out by the Bank of Spain in May.

But after only 91 banks having been tested we still have a way to go

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Well, reports are in that the stress tests are done and Spain did fine! Only five regional savings banks under financed and one of them had been taken over recently by the regulators. I was wondering if anyone was going to put a followup on this after all the Catalan/Spain bashing.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone was going to put a followup on this after all the Catalan/Spain bashing.

Thanks for those comment Bruixot.  I am considering taking the link to this forum off my website as I believe that it will put off prospective visitors (are you listening Nigel ?).  In fact I now call this the moaners and groaners forum when referring to it.

IP Logged

cactus jack
Global Moderator

If I agree with you, then
we would both be wrong

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2010 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
I agree Tony, this country has its problems the same as any other country including the UK.
It appears to me that there are people on here who do nothing but complain, its either too hot or too cold, too dry or too wet, too expensive, (its no dearer than the UK,) and the locals have the gall to want to speak their own language and continue with their own customs.
I personnally have Catalan and Spanish friends whom I would trust  explicitly.
It would seem that some guests to this country have not done their homework before moving out here whilst wearing their rose-tinted glasses, and understandably have had their fingers burned.
And yes there has been some burglaries done by some unsavoury types, ( the house next door to my UK house was burgled 4 times in ONE year!!!!!) and I agree that its very horrible and unnerving to have your hard earned stuff nicked.
I personnally love this country, its people, its culture, its enjoyment of life, its weather and even the pesky flies.
M'encanta catalunya

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Hear hear !!  Chuffed that a couple of people have at last spoken up for this place.  You know what they say to the foreigners who live in UK.  If you don't like it you know what you can do.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Well I agree,but I realy dont know about the flies, been back in UK a couple of weeks and still showing the scares of the damm things ,saying that the Scottish midge is a close rival Grin

IP Logged

Michael

Village Idiot

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:37am
Print Post  
I often wonder if people's motivation for moving here was to leave the UK... or come to Catalonia... or maybe both.  My Catalan friends utter surprise when I tell them that I prefer the weather (and life in general) here.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Great words Cactus Jack.  Well Done - you have just gone part way to restoring my faith that there are some non-depressives on the Forum.

IP Logged

sue100
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 10:42am
Print Post  
At last, some other people on here who really want to be in Catalunya. I dont see living in this area on a day to day basis as any more difficult than living somewhere like the UK. The problems we have also effect the Catalan nationals, for example many of my Catalan friends are also having problems getting cedula's and they live in apartments in the towns. They also frequently get broken into and robbed, and have just as many problems with the red tape of this country as us immigrants, and if you ask them they dont know the laws which affect them on a day to day basis either.

I recently spent 2 days in the UK, travelling from Birmingham to the North east and west. The roads were clogged up constantly, and were a breeding ground for cones. The shops did throw your shopping at you, normally without a bag, and the queues in banks, post offices etc were undiscribable, and dont get me started on the social behaviour I witnessed in the streets.
Please remember why you came here, before posting on here, it is a wonderful place to live and most local people are fantastic, and would do anything to help you.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: Stress Test - why driving in Spain is a pleasure..
Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Photo taken 2 minutes after joining the M1 near Luton on my first trip back to the UK after 3 years...

Welcome to the 'Great British Road Network'..
I prefer driving in Spain any day!!!!!!

WelcomeToEngland.jpg ( 40 KB | Downloads )
WelcomeToEngland.jpg
IP Logged

ClipClop
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
At last some positive comments, we all get fed up now and again and have a moan  Sad. But after spending a week in England I can honestly say , yes I miss my family, yes I miss my friends, yes I miss Primark, but I don't miss the traffic jams, the impatient shoppers and shop assistants or the constant moaning from people that live there. Life here is what you make it, so stop moaning learn the language and get on with it.
Vive catalunya Cheesy

IP Logged

elfitis
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Well Said ClipClop could not agree more ! Wink

IP Logged

eden
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
I do not post on here as a depressive, or soley just to moan. However I do think people should know how much corruption there is going on before they agree to part with their savings.  Had we known that what the Mayor was allowing was illegal and would lead to trouble with the Regional Government we would not have parted with our hard earned savings.  We did not come as suggested 'with rose tinted glasses' but a lot of people that are living here do not know or understand that they are living in illegal dwellings and at any time could have a demolition order on them. 
We still live in the UK but when in Spain we lead a quite life, looking after the land and would not knowingly do anything to upset any of the Catalan people as it is their country and we should respect their way of life. The majority of the Catalans are very nice polite and helpful people.   
Yes the weather is better than the UK, the roads are quieter, the pace of life is slower and I think it is a very beautiful area around the Ebro region.
Unfortunately a minority of our countrymen have caused trouble in the villages, being drunk, fighting etc,  therefore we can understand that some of the Catalan people have tarred us all with the same brush and would prefer the English to go home.  But this does not change the fact that the local farmers were quite happy to go along with what the Mayor was allowing even though they knew it was illegal and that has brought some undesirables into their villages.

IP Logged

Jeff
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
If anyone is thinking of rushing down to La Caixa to withdraw their savings, I'd just like to say that Spanish bank accounts are guaranteed, I think to 120.000 euros. Enough for most of us I guess!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top