Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
 25 Australian President causes a stir. (Read 13636 times)
Nobrot
Ex Member

Re: Australian President causes a stir.
Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2012 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Of course we're accepted,most of us have something to bring to the table,were as most of the Eastern Europeans for example bring nothing except maybe the willingness to graft.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 7:11am
Print Post  
That's not really 'nothing' though is it? 

It seems to me that the locals here are happy to accept anyone, whatever their nationality, who is willing to work hard and/or take part in village life.

The point I was trying to make is that it often seems that the British emigrants feel as though they don't have to bother to learn the language or integrate in other ways yet they get upset if immigrants into the UK don't.  It's like the sun never set on the Empire.

IP Logged

Eddie_Torres
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Is there anybody here who actually speaks or understands Catalan who genuinely thinks they have been accepted by the locals ?

There are some nice and friendly people here, but it is a small percentage in my experience. Tortosa and Amposta are notoriously unfriendly, even to local catalans from 10 or 20km away, some of the local villages a lot better.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 10:03am
Print Post  
I think There is a big difference to immigrants moving to the UK, and immigrants in Spain mainly that the  majority in the UK are  there for the Benefits and free health care and crime  Angry I am in no way classing all like that  but that,s the way I see it.
Also  I would love to speak Catalan/Spanish but what with work, life, I just don't have the time to learn Embarrassed whilst you were all tucking into your Xmas dinner I was working all day any yesterday did a 14 hour day "Yes in a dirty NHS hospital" more than likely for the last xmas as this job is coming to a end this year after 12 years.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is there anybody here who actually speaks or understands Catalan who genuinely thinks they have been accepted by the locals ?

Totally.  We went to Catalan classes as soon as we arrived here and managed to learn some Spanish beforehand. We have made some very good friends in the village and I don't think that they would have given us Christmas presents or invited us to their houses if we weren't 'accepted'.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
philmountains wrote on Dec 27th, 2012 at 10:03am:
I think There is a big difference to immigrants moving to the UK, and immigrants in Spain mainly that the  majority in the UK are  there for the Benefits and free health care and crime  Angry I am in no way classing all like that  but that,s the way I see it.
Also  I would love to speak Catalan/Spanish but what with work, life, I just don't have the time to learn Embarrassed whilst you were all tucking into your Xmas dinner I was working all day any yesterday did a 14 hour day "Yes in a dirty NHS hospital" more than likely for the last xmas as this job is coming to a end this year after 12 years.

I really don't think that 'the majority' of immigrants to the UK are there for the benefits etc even if a lot of them are but I suppose we all have a different perception of that.

I genuinely think that if people want to settle in a country they should learn the language.  Isn't it a bit arrogant to assume that everyone else should help you?  And isn't it dangerous not to understand what the doctors, police or other services are saying to you?

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
[/quote]
I really don't think that 'the majority' of immigrants to the UK are there for the benefits etc even if a lot of them are but I suppose we all have a different perception of that.

I genuinely think that if people want to settle in a country they should learn the language.  Isn't it a bit arrogant to assume that everyone else should help you?  And isn't it dangerous not to understand what the doctors, police or other services are saying to you? [/quote]

My Catalan and Spanish is rubbish,the only foriegn language I even vaugely understand is Grammar school French and yes,I agree pondgirl....however 0.001% of the worlds population speaks Catalan were as 30% of the world population speaks English,they need it for business,media,tourism,etc etc. The clued up ones learn English. Also,when dealing with any government agencies,it is our right to ask for and recieve a translator.....It is however not an excuse not to learn.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
I suppose it depends on whether you are dealing with Catalans or the rest of the world in your daily life as to whether or not you learn the language.  Spanish, of course is one of the major spoken languages in the world and well worth learning.

The right to a translator is enshrined in EU law which is one of the things that seems to piss off the British when they are expected to provide translators in Polish or Romanian but they are happy to take advantage of it when they get pissed up and arrested in Spain.

Again my point all along has been that the British are just arrogant in assuming that everyone will speak their language when they aren't tolerant of people who haven't mastered English when living in the UK.  Double standards.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Again my point all along has been that the British are just arrogant in assuming that everyone will speak their language when they aren't tolerant of people who haven't mastered English when living in the UK.  Double standards.

Very true, guilty your honor.....

IP Logged

Eddie_Torres
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Quote:

There are some nice and friendly people here, but it is a small percentage in my experience. Tortosa and Amposta are notoriously unfriendly, even to local catalans from 10 or 20km away, some of the local villages a lot better.

Quote:
Quote:

Totally.  We went to Catalan classes as soon as we arrived here and managed to learn some Spanish beforehand. We have made some very good friends in the village and I don't think that they would have given us Christmas presents or invited us to their houses if we weren't 'accepted'.

Your experience relates to a Village, not Tortosa or Amposta, as I said, villages are different.

Quote:
I suppose it depends on whether you are dealing with Catalans or the rest of the world in your daily life as to whether or not you learn the language.  Spanish, of course is one of the major spoken languages in the world and well worth learning.

The right to a translator is enshrined in EU law which is one of the things that seems to piss off the British when they are expected to provide translators in Polish or Romanian but they are happy to take advantage of it when they get pissed up and arrested in Spain.

So then, how do you view the locals view that everybody should speak Catalan ?

Do you realise that around here they do not even speak Catalan, they speak Tortosien, a mix of Catalan and Castellon dialect spoken with a very heavy [aka unintelligible] accent ?

People who do learn Catalan end up learning 2 versions, one of which is of zero use in Tarragona or beyond and one of which is useless [and ultimately offensive] to the rest of Spain and Spanish speaking people.

IP Logged

Hen_Fox
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Dec 28th, 2012 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
We frequently shop and have coffee in Tortosa (we only live ten minutes away) and find most people friendly and helpful. The Spanish don't do as much 'please and thank you' as the British, but it is just a cultural difference and doesn't make either right or wrong.

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Quote:
[quote author=5B7A7A777B414A716C6C7B6D1E0 link=1356186250/17#17 date=1356597869]

So then, how do you view the locals view that everybody should speak Catalan ?

Do you realise that around here they do not even speak Catalan, they speak Tortosien, a mix of Catalan and Castellon dialect spoken with a very heavy [aka unintelligible] accent ?

People who do learn Catalan end up learning 2 versions, one of which is of zero use in Tarragona or beyond and one of which is useless [and ultimately offensive] to the rest of Spain and Spanish speaking people.

We don't go to Amposta much but we go to Tortosa regularly and we have  found people there to be very friendly on the whole.  Obviously not everyone is going to be lovely any more than everyone in a British town would be.

Of course I'm aware that everyone speaks a different dialect, in our village its 'Masover' but we have never had a problem with anyone understanding basic catalan as far north as Perpignan and as far south as Valencia.  Our experience has been that if we make an effort, and we do mix in castillian too, then we are understood.  When we are in 'the rest' of Spain we speak castillian and if we have lapsed into catalan I have never noticed anyone being offended.

As for "the locals view that everybody should speak Catalan" that just isn't true of the majority of people we have talked with when applied to immigrants/ex-pats, they are more than happy to speak castillian.  Obviously catalan is the first language and it makes sense to know it, you can't go to school or work for the Government if you don't.  I actually think that they have made a mistake with their hard line approach but that is a political opinion.

The reason that I personally made the effort to learn catalan is because I would feel isolated if I lived somewhere where I couldn't understand all the chatter going on around me when I go shopping or go to the bars or restaurants.

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 10:56am
Print Post  
After eight years here my experience is the same as pondgirls except we do go to Amposta often and everything she said applies there too. My partner who speaks no Catalan or Castillian but understands some has encountered one rude and unhelpful person in her nearly five years here. As for being understood I have had no problems in Barcelona or down south although everyone knows I am English and learned to speak the language in Tarragona due to my accents. However I have met expats complaining bitterly about the rudeness and unhelpfulness of certain people who I have found to be sweetness and light and willing to try very hard to help me.
Bruixot

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
I really wish I could get down to just learning some Spanish for a start !! I would love to be able to talk to my neighbors,friends Its  hard work with sign language or scratching "poor" drawings in the dirt I  made a new friend "farmer" last time over but as the week went on he just stopped trying to talk to me as we both knew that I did not understand a word !!!!
By the way everything is moving on at speed for my 1st driving down to Tortosa trip in February. Just bought a van (06 LT35) priced up ferry etc..... and  Euro Tunnel cheapest at £309 Return,  contacted Les the van man for advise but  no reply as yet, so any advise Re the Trip appreciated,  reccomended route down, good places  to stop, parts to avoid etc........
Thanks Phil Cheesy

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Phil I can thoroughly recommend Michel Thomas for learning Spanish.

As for favourite routes through France, from the chunnel we like
Calais
Boulogne
Rouen
Evreux
Dreux
Chatres
Chateaudun
Blois
Chateauroux
Limoges
Perigueux (where we stay the night at the excellent Ibis hotel)
Agen
Auch
Lannemezan
Montrejeau
(straight on down to) the Viehla tunnel
el Pont de Suert
Lleida
then Flix, Asco etc

this route avoids most tolls and is scenic but with good straight roads. You can practically draw a straight line down from Calais to Tortosa.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top