Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
 25 Ferry/Spain/France/Eurotunnel (Read 70919 times)
Fly_Boy
Ex Member

Re: Ferry/Spain/France/Eurotunnel
Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Hi

Have done most ways through France.

Best advice. Take a Sat Nav, for use when the French put you on a diversion, and forget that you need more than one sign ...

The route via Bordeaux, and the tunnel at Somport is good - use the N10, and not up and down till the Spanish side - then take new motorway to Zaragoza ( some one said 3 hours from here ) and then back via Caspe. about 1000kms from Dover, and low tolls ( just some around Boulogne unless traveling at night then take the local roads not the motorway )

sorry for the speelingsa - a cat is helping me typeee
--- must be the m,ouse lol

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Hi fly -boy My cat sits on the keyboard or in front of the screen regularly ,He knows how to get fed LOL ! I have had a quick check on the Somport Tunnel this route has never come up before ?pos more mileage ? been to Pau before seems along way across the Pyrenees I will check it out though
Thanks
Phil 
Oh would just be my luck to get stopped and checked, and get a 50 euro fine for not having a extra £2.99 triangle  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Phil,
Be very careful on the roundabouts and when merging onto motorways. The blind spots can be very dangerous as we found out to our cost. I really would advise taking a mate to look out for the traffic you won't be able to see. Otherwise, drive during the hours of darkness so you can see the road being lit up by oncoming unseen traffic. Be cautious in the extreme. Smiley

My Father gave me some advice which I was very glad of on a couple of occasions whist on the national roads - Don't let your tank get less than half full. I'm glad I listened. I sometimes found it was long distances before I could fill up. Also, carrefore supermarkets are usually cheap for fuel and most towns have them well signposted. sometimes you need cash, sometimes you need a bank card for the machine in order to pre-pay. Again, some petrol stations will only take French cards and many require you to go to the paydesk and leave your card with them prior to filling up. Hence the reason for not letting your tank drop below half.

John.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks John , unfortunately there is nobody that can get off work for a month to come with me Embarrassed  had another look at tolls/route etc.. this morning should hopefully be reasonably straight forward  Cheesy bit worried about Snow& ice in the Pyrenees ? and any ideas on getting van weighed when loaded taking a hell of allot of stuff? somehow I don,t think it,s all going to fit in  Shocked

PS,, any more news regarding the Plywood sheet situation ?

Thanks again for any help

IP Logged

bruixot
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 12th, 2013 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
There are weigh stations at the ports. Probably be too late by then. Best not to know. I spent the rest of the journey in fear of being pulled over when i found my 7.5 ton truck weighed just over 10. : )
Bruixot

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 12:55am
Print Post  
philmountains wrote on Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:09pm:
any ideas on getting van weighed when loaded

You might try this site for some pointers and a list of places....

http://chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/useful-info/weighbridges.htm

I don't know how up to date it is though.

John. Wink

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2013 at 6:04am
Print Post  
Thanks boys , there is one at my local  council tip it,s on your link John ,could well be worth a trip up the day before I set off , does anybody know if the  campo tracks up and around Matamoras have been repaired LOL!!! since last Novembers storm ?

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Hi all, well I set off for France on Wednesday,and at mo still not sure of the best route,have been looking at weather and around Foix it gives -4 next Thursday so have been looking at the A75 route again ! has anyone any experience of this route ? many account,s of high motorway road up to 1100 meters, and lots of steep gradients/descents and snow  Shocked
Oh and I ,m on the 3rd attempt at loading /unloading van think I was a bit deluded in what I thought a van could carry ,feels like checking in with 15kg bags on a Ryanair flight !

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #23 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 9:56am
Print Post  
If it's not too late, look at the E9 to Toulouse then head slightly west until you drop down around Saint Gaudens to Vielha and then the N240 all the way down to Lleida, then the C12 to Flix. We have used that route often, it's stunningly pretty and avoids the heights of Andorra and virtually all the tolls. Bon Voyage..

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
We've used the Viehla tunnel a few times in winter and even if it's been snowing it usually pretty managable.  I don't think that you are going to be able to avoid minus temperatures crossing the Pyrenees in February whichever way you go.  We have used the A75 route in January and there was thick snow around but the road was good.  There was also freezing fog which wasn't good but we survived!  You will also have to pay a toll to cross the Millau Viaduct if you go that way.

Bon viatge.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks Pete /pondgirl for your reply,s  the Viehla tunnel way is more than likely the shortest and cheapest route, but I am a bit worried about the N240 !! fairly sure I have been on it , defiantly been on the N260 and this was hairpins etc.. forever ,fantastic in a small hire car though.
I will have a good look at the N240 I have read that the road is not so good on the Spanish side of the tunnel ? this could be old articles concerning the old tunnel ?
I cannot believe I thought I would have enough room in the back, to stop at LeRoy Merlin's, and buy a door on the way down Cheesy
Going to my local weigh bridge tomorrow see how close I am to 3500kg  Sad if the shape of the tyres are anything to go by I don't think things are too good Cry
By the way Nobrot what was the score with the chipping,s and sand ?
Thanks again for letting me rant on
Phil

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
philmountains wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 5:45pm:
By the way Nobrot what was the score with the chipping,s and sand ?

Not quite sure what you mean,if it involves M.O.N.E.Y. PM me

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #27 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Just thought I would update on Weighbridge situation, I went to my local tip and they would not weigh my van ,so asked at my local police station here in Skipton, and they gave me number of public weigh station at a local quarry who did it for me with paperwork for 6 quid ,I was just under 3.5 ton  Huh so can fit in some clothes and food LOL!
I am fairly sure of route now, a mixture of Pondgirl route and cactus jack advise will now see how it goes Grin
Thanks again all for your help
Phil

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Well good luck and take care.  Look forward to hearing you have arrived safely.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #29 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Well I got here ok but wished I  had not after nearly 9 years I have been robbed' they have nearly wiped me out !!!! Strimmer (a birthday present) generator , Petrol stove, tools sleeping bags,  the list is huge,and there is bugger all I can do ,I feel sick they even took my boots and knives and forks what to do ?
I am sure this has happens because the farmer below me is sick, and staying with his daughter, they hit him as well taking a huge rotorvator,it's definatly locals who knew he was away
They think it's a local with sheep/goats but !!!!!!!!
I don't know if to carry on or what as pondgirl wrote, they will even get in through the roof which if you count my mud and timber affair a roof that's how they got into my shack must have been 2 or more to lift it all out.
Am fairly sure they will be back as the farmer is 84 and think this  as well as his illness has made him realise he is to old to stay up there.
you can only guess what I will do if they return ? Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top