Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
 25 Could only happen in the UK (Read 44004 times)
coldalba
Ex Member

Re: Could only happen in the UK
Reply #75 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
OK post 2 - Starting with an apology: I was wrong to refer to “using the DM as a source of information” as prejudice. The DM is a source of information. It is probably used in academic courses all over the UK as an example of how news can be selected and presented to present a particular and required point of view. Yes to that extent it can be informative.

It is good to have diverse sources of information. For example on Immigration here is a Green Party person.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php/news/content/view/full/135431

One view is that immigrants to the UK are good for businesses as they keep down labour costs, and especially most arrive in the UK as adults saving the UK their rearing and training costs. If they go away before they are old it is a double “win” for the UK. Business doesn't need to consider the social costs of this strategy.

PS. And, yes in my view Daily Mail is an odious rag (there are many others).

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #76 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Utterley brilliant from immigration to...........
Racism
Terrorism
Colonisation
Imperialism
Border control
Arachnophobia
Ryanair (again)
Sexism
And a really boring posting on the Daily Mail by Smidge

All in one thread,take a bow folks.

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #77 - Aug 13th, 2013 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
And all because l read an letter in Yachting Monthly, from the Australian Chairman of the Moody Owners Ass.   imploring all yachtsmen and women ( nearly got caught then ) yachtspersons in the UK, to resist the expansion of the UKBC. By writing to every Tom, Dick or Harry, ( and their female equivalent ) because, in his opinion, ( must be a DM reader ) they are becoming a para-military organisation and not to let them board their yachts when entering UK waters.

Don't think were finished yet Ian.  Wink Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #78 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
Pondgirl I will have to take your word that the Daily Mail is "an odious rag that objectifies women on a daily basis and continually publishes articles that are designed to anger people "  as those are serious opinions and I would not approach reading the DM with a serious attitude nor would I read it on a "daily basis"  However it strikes me you appear to have such an emphatic and comprehensive understanding about the nature of the DM. it is reasonable to assume that you get information from /read the DM . How would you be so well informed otherwise? . According to EDs post "the prejudice (those that use the Daily Mail as a source of information!)", this would define you as "prejudice"  Would you agree of disagree with him ?  Smiley

How you 'approach' the DM doesn't change what it is or what it does.  It just means that you don't notice.

I do look at the DM, not on a daily basis , usually because someone from one or another another forum I belong to has posted a link to a story.  Whenever you click on these items the sidebar is always full of stories about what women look like, whether or not they are wearing make up, clothes they approve of or if they are too fat or too skinny.

I would be prejudiced if I just said that all DM readers are....whatever, just because they read it/look at the pictures.  My 'problem' (can't think what else to call it) is with those that don't bother to read any other sources or, ahem, check their sources for veracity or extreme bias.

I suppose that might make me prejudiced but that would be stretching the meaning to include everyone who expresses a negative opinion about any given group of people.

But you can call me that if you want, I don't mind  Wink

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
And all because l read an letter in Yachting Monthly, from the Australian Chairman of the Moody Owners Ass.   imploring all yachtsmen and women ( nearly got caught then ) yachtspersons in the UK, to resist the expansion of the UKBC. By writing to every Tom, Dick or Harry, ( and their female equivalent ) because, in his opinion, ( must be a DM reader ) they are becoming a para-military organisation and not to let them board their yachts when entering UK waters.

Don't think were finished yet Ian.  Wink Roll Eyes

Ah, that was what motivated you to start a thread stating that you think that the UK is going down the plughole.  And there I was thinking that your opening post was about how terrible it was that the UKBA's tactics were being brought into question.  Roll Eyes

Is that what inspired you to write this as well?

Quote:
Both the Lab and Tories are frightened to put there heads above the parapet to point us in the right direction.
Lets get rid of all the "jobs-worth, do-gooders and PC brigade". Most of it comes from Brussels anyway.
Lets start calling  spade a spade. All this c**p about so-called Human rights
No one has any Human rights until they can demonstrate to the community that they deserve  them. Likewise benefits should be earned and not expected as a given right.
Many people think the UK is one of the most tolerant societies in the world. Welcoming more than it's fair share of the worlds displaced citizens. 
l would say it is lacking in moral fibre Angry

ln order to live harmoniously with each other ,we must have laws and rules that everyone must abide by. lf not you forfeit your right to live in a society that is governed by them, and by sent back to where you come from, without intervention from Brussels.

lf we let the lunatics run the asylum we are failing in out duty to the next generation.  Sad

Yours  Billy-no-mates,
And this is before l have a drink. Roll Eyes
( don't mention your name Pike) Wink

Shocked Smiley

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #80 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Round 6 then Rob....

imagesCAEXPWV9.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #81 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I was wrong to refer to “using the DM as a source of information” as prejudice. Thank you Coldalba, that is enough for me. Pondgirl read the DM as much or a little as you like thats what freedom is about.
Norbot, lighten up, you try too hard.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bulldog

Forum newbie

Reply #82 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Bulldog wrote on Aug 7th, 2013 at 7:38pm:
together with my trusty sidekick a one eyed limping lesbian

As a one eyed limping heterosexual I nearly resemble that remark  Cool

As you have let the cat out of the bag as I only changed the name to protect the innocent I find I must spring to your defence with the remarks made against you. I must admit while doing our duty in Bongo Bongo land together I did on more than one occasion discover you reading the D.M. paper but must strongly state that apart from making spelling corrections I never heard a racist remark come from you and apart from one incident where you refused to tip a black waiter whose friend had just been tipped over the mountain your conduct was beyond reproach and I fully support you to have certain members thrown out of the party UKIP ( U Keep Insulting People. )
Your trusted sidekick Bulldog.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #83 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Ian you forgot to mention "Yachting Monthly" in your list, sound,s like a great read,especially for the typical:D donkey shed owner LOL !!!!
Back to Mr O leary please and his bully boy tactics on those poor pilots, did you see that prog the other night ?
Oh and watched a place in the sun the other day, was this the 1 mentioned in a recent  thread ?, a farther and son looking to buy in the Ebro valley ?
There Ian now this thread has a new String Wink

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Bulldog wrote on Aug 14th, 2013 at 2:08pm:
Quote:
Bulldog wrote on Aug 7th, 2013 at 7:38pm:
together with my trusty sidekick a one eyed limping lesbian

As a one eyed limping heterosexual I nearly resemble that remark  Cool

As you have let the cat out of the bag as I only changed the name to protect the innocent I find I must spring to your defence with the remarks made against you. I must admit while doing our duty in Bongo Bongo land together I did on more than one occasion discover you reading the D.M. paper but must strongly state that apart from making spelling corrections I never heard a racist remark come from you and apart from one incident where you refused to tip a black waiter whose friend had just been tipped over the mountain your conduct was beyond reproach and I fully support you to have certain members thrown out of the party UKIP ( U Keep Insulting People. )
Your trusted sidekick Bulldog. 

Those were the day eh?  Grin

IP Logged

ebrorob
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Round 6 then Rob....

Round 6 already!  wow that was quick,Will it all happen in the sixth?     Roll Eyes

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #86 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Thank you Pondgirl, l stand by every word l write. Do l take it that you don't agree with me Sad  and that you bat for the other side! Shocked

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #87 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 7:22am
Print Post  
Quote:
Thank you Pondgirl, l stand by every word l write. Do l take it that you don't agree with me Sad  and that you bat for the other side! Shocked

You are correct, I don't agree at all with what you have written about in this thread.

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #88 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
How about that folks. Pondgirl and l agree to disagree Grin

IP Logged

Pondgirl
Ex Member

Reply #89 - Aug 15th, 2013 at 3:39pm