Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
 25 Ferry/Spain/France/Eurotunnel (Read 70909 times)
philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ferry/Spain/France/Eurotunnel
Jan 6th, 2013 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Hi again I am still not booked for my 1st drive down to Tortosa ,I was going to use the Tunnel with my clubcard point,s knocking off a big chunk off the cost but having spoke to them on phone  the van "size is the problem and how I can prove that it is private and not commercial  Angry  you cannot use Clubcard tokens against Fright ? "I,m NOT FRIGHT" as I tried to get across I am a private owned van ,,,,,,,,,,anyway they have given me a customer service number to try ! still if it all came good cost of tunnel would be £209 which is not fantastic .
I have got a price of £191 DFDS Portmouth-Le Havre and that's without getting a discount  but I am seriously quite interested in Brittany Ferries Portmouth -Santander £495 but I only booked a seat not a cabin ? this with the cost of diesel and tolls could be a winner -what do you think.
Thanks again
Phil

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Re: Ferry/Spain/France/Eurotunnel
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Does your log book say PLG (private light goods) or Commercial? Maybe you could fax/ e-mail a copy to them?

Might work.
John.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Fright you should .......I would at those prices be....Wink

Try Norfolk line,they cater primerily for freight hauliers and are considerably cheaper.

IP Logged

catalanboy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Hi mate, i can give you a few pointers, in my experience dover/calais is the most cost effective route £35 p&o then follow the route through france, rouen-evreux-dreux-chartres-orleans-clermont ferrand-over millau bridge, to a9 narbonne/ perpignan....espana. i have done this route for many years [ i am a truck driver] its the cheapest for tolls and its worth it to go over the 2nd highest bridge in the world.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks boys again for help, going for LD -lines Portmouth -Le Havre this is a 8 hour crossing  Huh (Ive never been on a ship !!!) best price £180 return, this will save time ? and is sailing through night , & less diesel,& tolls.
once down to Vierzon I,m still under-sided as to crossing Pyrenees and would say that Vierzon looks to be make your mind up point, Free A20 all way down to Below Limoges or cut across and down on Toll to Clemont-ferrand  but this turns to toll free after Clemont -Ferrand "that Bridge at Millau looks fantastic".
Pondgirls route via the Vielha tunnel was the most direct but don't think this big old loaded up to the roof van, will like the  N230so I was looking at getting down to Foix ? then head for the Tunnel Puymorans then Cadi tunnnel It was over ten years since I have  been in this area so I cannot remember gradients, but as a  lower altitude in the Pyrenean chain, would have thought easier on the van than Vielha Tunnel (also  saving on  A9 Tolls around border crossing/ Perpingnan route) once past Cadi Tunnel  home run to Terrasa etc...
Sorry to go on and on, maybe I need a Blog LOL!!!!!!!
Remember I'm a Yorkshire man who cringes at wasting OWT!

IP Logged

John
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Phil,

You are MUCH better off going Calais - Dover. The crossing takes an hour and a half at night and then takes about two hours to get to Rouen. The way you propose is 8 hours just on the ferry then a drive to Rouen.

From Skipton (presuming thats where you'll be setting off from), I'd head over to the A1 (M62, M1, M18, A1) then follow this to the M25 and go round it (Clockwise) and get onto the A2/M2 to Dover 9if you end up on the M20, don't worry - it's just as good). The dartford bridge is free after 10pm and not expensive during the day (I really would avoid the M25 in the daytime). Like Catalan Boy, I was also a long distance lorry driver for many years. I spent hours parked on that ring road.

We did the Calais, Rouen, Evreux, Chartres, Orleon, Verzon, Limoges, Brive la Gaillarde, Cahors, Toulouse, Carcassonne, Narbonne, Perpignan, route. Total tolls one way, around 63 euros.

We went off the motorway at the border to go through el Jonquera to stock up on loads of baccy (Dozens of shops selling just booze and baccy) and also to avoid the long uphill drag by motorway (its downhill if you go off the motorway and uphill  (long and steep) if you stay on the motorway - we could see the trucks really struggling. The whole journey through France is up and down long steep hills all the way.  Don't forget the tolls are on your passenger side and make sure you have cash AND a visa card at the ready. Some toll stations will only take French bank cards.

There is a site which shows all the 'camping aires' at http://www.eurocampingcar.com/index2.php3?lg=uk&cat_id=0 which you might find useful for overnight stays. Dont stop on the 'Rustic aires' on the motorways in France. It's an on the spot fine if caught (we got away with it though) but the service stations are fine for overnight stays.

All the rustic aires have water and toilets both in France and in Spain but the standard really varies. The service stations all have showers for 1 or 2 euros - you leave your van keys as security and they all have chemical loo disposal points.

The tolls in Spain are hideously expensive but paying just to get past Barcelona alone is worth the cost.

Hope this helps.

John
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2013 at 9:16pm by »  

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks John
I didn't realize that the toll booths are iffy with what cards they take, I've not had this  problem in other countries ? yep it,s going to be a pain scrambling across the seat to pay the tolls Shocked
I have checked out Dover-Calais and without trying for discount/codes/voucher etc.... which at very best would have thought be 10% it,s coming up at £170 -"it,s the height & Length" so the horrible portsmouth/Le-Havre route I would have thought  got to be a better deal (£180)taking in the cost of diesel/tolls from Calais to  Rouen what do you think ? I know what you mean about the tolls etc.. getting to and past Barcelona but if I drop down by Marassa /Monserratt  miss out a big chunk of tolls and poss best drive across to Lerida on free  motorway A2? done this loads of time,s when going into Pyrenees from Costa Brava.
What do you think to the Puymorens /Cadi tunnel route ,Class 2 van should be around 13 euros for Puymorens and would have thought bit less /same for cadi  Roll Eyes
Thanks again
Phil
and thank,s for the link I've heard a few  stories about folk getting broke into during the night at these Aries ,so will def opt for the busiest/truck stop  ones Wink have thought of getting a few sheets photo copied "Mad Yorkshire man asleep wake up at your peril" translated to French /Romanian and stick them on widows LOL!!!!! Cheesy!

Hope this is OK Moderators !!! but here is a copy of a letter from the Eye on Spain Forum and the discount still works

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just a reminder that you can use my membership code to get up to 10% discount on Brittany Ferry crossings to Spain and France.

With the flights to Spain going up all the time, try the ship and see some of Spain.  We discovered Salamanca last year and are returning again this year in October.

Herewith details if how to use the code. Very easy but any problems send me an e mail.

Happy Sailing:

Details again as follows to get up to 10% discount on your Ferry Bookings to France and Spain.and I get £10 off towards my next booking. - So we both win!  Don't worry it is perfectly legal and Britanny encourage the discount to get more bookings.

IF YOU BOOK ON LINE:

DROP DOWN MENU:

Are you a member of the travel club:    YES

Property Travel Club Number : S91197

Lead Persons Name (Your name)

The booking is for: a GUEST of the member.

IF YOU BOOK BY PHONE AND THEY ASK FOR MEMBERS NAME:  MOORHOUSE

Happy sailing and if any problems e mail me

Regards

Joan

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
We used the pyrenees tunnel from Andorra twice and got stuck both times, once by weather and the other by an accident on the Spanish side. Along with the tolls we won't use that way again.
Our current fave is to go west of Andorra, over the pass and down to N240 to Lleida. It's drop dead gorgeous in daylight and the road has been resurfaced. True, you have to go at the speed of the traffic as it's single lane. Follow on down the Ebro via Flix and it's all pretty.

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Just a quick update "AS if anyone cares LOL" have joined one of those discount sites  123 save.co .uk and got 10% off the £180 so now £162, doubt that can be bettered ?

IP Logged

hhmunro
YaBB Newbies

Forum newbie

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
DFDS Dover Dunkirque usually by far the cheapest, every two hours day and night, takes two hours, with a car I have never paid over £20... if you turn up early they will usually let you onto the earlier boat too, hard to beat...

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
That,s the problem it not a car or a van under 2.2m high, it makes a huge difference in ferry/euro tunnel prices and tolls.

IP Logged

munkonminor

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Just a quick reminder not to leave your vehicle unattended at the service stations around Barca. Friend left his right outside the main entrance of one whilst he answered a call of nature, no more than 5 mins, van was turned over by two people after smashing the window. A trucker saw it happen and said it took them no more than a minute. It seems they wait for foreign plates.

IP Logged

HazeandAlan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Hi Phil
I use a child's fishing net for passing the ticket and money over at the toll booths. Simple but it works and always raises a smile!
Don't forget your snow chains at this time of year too!
Haze

IP Logged

skibob
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
As far as leaving your vehicle is concerned, dont leave it in Spain untill you get  to Tarragona. When traveling on the Barca motorway the robbers will throw a stone at the side of your vehicle making a loud noise, then draw alongside pointing to the rear of your vehicle telling you to stop. DON'T., they want you to pull in so they can rob you. A friend of mind got into a fight on the side of the motorway. Shocked

IP Logged

philmountains

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Hay that,s great idea with the fishing net Cheesy only problem is Its only got wind up windows so I will have to squeeze across to open window anyway!!! I was looking at a pair of snow chains the other week on ebay , didn't bother!I am  buying loads of stuff for this trip 1 off trip "VAN"   Breathalyzer, beam converters, French road map, first aid kit, and still need 2x warning triangles ,I cannot believe I  had one in the garage for years and only recently, in a fit throw it out  Cry ,Re snow chains ,I really hope its not going to be that bad  Huh I am keeping a eye on weather /temps around the Puymorens /cadi tunnel and at mo still looking good around 3/5 degrees, I will have to alter the route to suit weather ? I am very scared of that stuff came down a pass in Switzerland/Italy a few years ago at 2 miles a hour couldn't talk my mouth was that dry, by the time we got to the bottom of the pass and only in a small hire car slid most of the way down, didn't stop the massive timber lorries though going at full speed up and down maybe I,m just not that confident ?
Are they still doing that trick on the motorway ? is it just foreign plates ? I have never had this sort of thing happen in a hire car.
oh  ferry booked now so have stopped looking !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top