Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Cheese (Read 7396 times)
Stuandeve
Ex Member

Cheese
Apr 29th, 2012 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Has anyone tried making cheese[? I got some rennet last year and followed all the instuctions, but it would'nt set properly. I wondered if it was the milk. Bought it in the supermarked. Probably been over heat treated.

IP Logged

chrispain
Ex Member

Re: Cheese
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Thats interesting where did you get the rennet I want to make some goats cheese. You need fresh milk for cheese normally.

IP Logged

Stuandeve
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 9:58am
Print Post  
A friend got the rennett for me in the uk. Could'nt find any here.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Hi Stuandeve.
Overheating or UHT treatment would not prevent the milk from splitting into curd and whey (liquid). UHT treated milk will not taste nice. Did you by any chance use low fat milk?

IP Logged

Stuandeve
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
No, I used full fat milk from the supermarket. The fresh one, not long life.
Still wondering where I went wrong.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2012 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
I would have to see exactly what you did before I could make a definite comment. However you can make a nice curd type cheese called Paneer  without using rennet, heated milk is split using citric acid/lemon juice/vinegar and strained through muslin and pressed. This is vegetarian cheese and it is used in cooking in India, currys etc.

IP Logged

Stuandeve
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2012 at 9:48am
Print Post  
I wanted to make Halloumi. Cyprus cheese.

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2012 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Yes I know Halloumi. I used to export large quantities of it from Cyprus into the Middle East years ago. The best quality is made from Sheep or Goat milk with Mint leaves and is stored in salty water. It is good for cooking. You have to use rennet to split the milk, I think they used to heat up the curd after straining then make into patties and store in salty water. We used  Cows milk and packed it in half pound flow packs with salty water and mint.
There is a cheese available in supermarkets in Spain "Oveja Curado" it comes in KG or 500gm rounds, about 10euro a kg. it fries up like Haloumi if you add a little mint it is slightly similar.

IP Logged

Stuandeve
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2012 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info on the oveja curado. I will get some and try frying it.
Did you used to live in Cyprus?

IP Logged

Smidge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2012 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
The curado is not exactly like Halloumi  but it browns nicely on the surface and does not melt all over the pan and with a little bit of mint it has a nice rich taste. I used to be a cheese buyer I traveled all over choosing cheeses.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top